• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Swann

Hooksey

Banned
Although no official statement has been released by Swann or the ECB, the Sun's cricket reporter John Etheridge has tweeted "Only in The Sun tomorrow - read in his own words why Graeme Swann is quitting cricket with immediate effect". Swann is a regular columnist with the paper.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
He'd better have a ****ing good reason for this or this is just plain ****...........you only here for the good times Grahame??

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I won't dispute his decision to retire given his age and recent dip in form, but mid-series? That part doesn't sit right.

Obviously he wanted to make sure his average doesn't go above 30:ph34r:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I won't dispute his decision to retire given his age and recent dip in form, but mid-series? That part doesn't sit right.

Theory was he was probably quitting at the end of the series anyway and was either being dropped or they(swann and flower/cook) mutually decided it was better to play Monty long term - and so rather than waiting around for a few weeks or having some jolly sendoff which does nothing to progress the team he quits.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

Not sure we can even call this a "dip in form" can we?? Was highest wicket taker in the last series he played and is just struggling in the worlds biggest graveyard for finger spinners.

Guess I'll have to reserve judgement until we hear the reason but right now I'm a mix of sadness and utter rage about it.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well good luck Swanneh, I Think our once resident doctor Lillian Thompson said Swann was mad to comeback so soon after his ops, it seems he was right.

It seems having pieces of fractured bone floating around in your elbow, isn't healthy, who'd of thunk?

Best spinner since Deadly,and I'm not really sure where we go from here, I'm sure he'll be on strictly next year though.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
It's mid-series but it isn't really as the series is essentially over.
There is a lot to play for these last 2 tests Scaly.........a hell of a lot.

All I'll say now is that there had better be a very good family reason for it otherwise this is piss weak in the extreme!!

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When the going gets tough _ __ __ (sing along)

One hopes he has a good reason for it.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There is a lot to play for these last 2 tests Scaly.........a hell of a lot.

All I'll say now is that there had better be a very good family reason for it otherwise this is piss weak in the extreme!!
Why, he isn't bowling well, he doesn't seem fit, and it gives another bloke a chance.

He's quitting cricket BTW, not just international cricket, it's got to be the injuries.

Last edited: