• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Swann

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No Burgey he was yapped up because he was the first good spinner we had had since Underwood. We went OTT simply for the novelty value.

To be fair to him he has had a great career for a late starter and he may well have had 400+ test wickets by now if Fletcher wasn't such a pigheaded barsteward. His elbow injury might bring his career to an end (probably after the world cup) but nobody mentioned it in the summer when he was tearing the Aussies a new one.
Yeah, those 40+ wickets he took to singlehandedly win England the series were astonishing...

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
No Burgey he was yapped up because he was the first good spinner we had had since Underwood. We went OTT simply for the novelty value.
Yeah, I think there's a lot of distain from some Aussies towards how certain English players are perceived by their own, i.e. overhyped, but I think it's pretty understandable given the respective sides in the last ten/twenty years. England have a lot of players who are the best they've had for a long time, while for the Aussies they're inferior to their own equivalents from merely six or seven years ago, so the English are always going to view their players higher than most Australians view the same players.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I think there's a lot of distain from some Aussies towards how certain English players are perceived by their own, i.e. overhyped, but I think it's pretty understandable given the respective sides in the last ten/twenty years. England have a lot of players who are the best they've had for a long time, while for the Aussies they're inferior to their own equivalents from merely six or seven years ago, so the English are always going to view their players higher than most Australians view the same players.
Yeah, fair enough. I know I seem to feel that England go a little OTT wrt their own players (except for Ian Bell).

Spark

Global Moderator
His bowling at Lord's turned the series though. Shut the door on Australia winning back the Ashes. Was pivotal, should not be underestimated.
Yeah, true. Not quite what I would say is "ripping us a new one", though.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Swann's a thoroughly decent bowler been allowed to bowl above and beyond his actual station by ****house batsmen for far too long. Same as Anderson, really. No slight against either but their supporters, especially Anderson's, have been some of the most annoying posters on the web.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah, true. Not quite what I would say is "ripping us a new one", though.
True. Considering Mitch Johnson has just ripped England a new on in the last two tests, its become an extremely high bar to meet now though :p

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
His bowling at Lord's turned the series though. Shut the door on Australia winning back the Ashes. Was pivotal, should not be underestimated.
His contribution at Trent Bridge was also absolutely vital.

Then there's his hauls in the two matches that we won in 2009.

I'm not sure what more we should be expecting from a finger spinner in England.

Spark

Global Moderator
I thought he underperformed at TB actually. Should have done more on a pitch that had serious turn (if slow turn)

grecian

His contribution at Trent Bridge was also absolutely vital.

Then there's his hauls in the two matches that we won in 2009.

I'm not sure what more we should be expecting from a finger spinner in England.
Agree with this totally, and yes he is being rested for this series, he's miles better than any other spinner we have.

The elbow problems clearly remain he has had many ops on it taking many fragments out of his arm, sorry Benchmark, but to suggest it's just an excuse when he's bowling badly is clearly nonsense, the guy has real problems with injury. He needs rest and thankfully he'll get it after this series

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Never have I said that he hasn't had elbow issues in the last.

The reason for him not being effective in Australia this time around is the same reason he hasn't been effective in Australia the other games he's played in Australia, and I'll give you a tip: it's not because he has a sore elbow.

grecian

Never have I said that he hasn't had elbow issues in the last.

The reason for him not being effective in Australia this time around is the same reason he hasn't been effective in Australia the other games he's played in Australia, and I'll give you a tip: it's not because he has a sore elbow.
Not denying that TBH, but you did seem to suggest that it was an excuse for every poor series.

I'm never saying he's a great, but as WPDavid suggested he's the best we've had since deadly, and he may well have been a little better without having chips taking out of his elbows consistently for a few years.

and to be apposite to thread it's clearly the reason he's been rested for this series.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
off twitter...

Nottinghamshire CCC ‏@TrentBridge 5m

Nottinghamshire spinner @Swannyg66 has retired from cricket with immediate effect
Errm random?

I guess Monty has a giant smile on his face about now mind ;)

Wonder what's happened to make Swann suddenly retire like this.

Last edited:

Hooksey

Banned
Rumours gaining momentum on the net that Swann has actually retired. I'd put it in the 'to-be-confirmed' file at this stage.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I know this is a different world we live in nowadays..........but this is all over Twitter. Is this how these announcements are made now??

Nothing "official" as yet though.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
The officials Notts CCC twitter announced it. I'd say that's pretty official. Apparently he'll explain why in The Sun tomorrow (nice way to keep his future employer happy I guess :) )