Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: Graeme Swann

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    He's a solid off spinner isn't he? But he was yapped up like the second Laker on here for a couple of years.

Australia is a terribad place for offies in general. I don think he's bowled badly this series, but there's been an obvious plan to get after him which has largely worked and has effected England's plans pretty badly, because he hadn't been able to bowl those long, tight spells which build pressure for other bowlers.

Assuming England weather the early stuff from Australia, I expect them to go after Lyon in a similar way this test.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    No Burgey he was yapped up because he was the first good spinner we had had since Underwood. We went OTT simply for the novelty value.

To be fair to him he has had a great career for a late starter and he may well have had 400+ test wickets by now if Fletcher wasn't such a pigheaded barsteward. His elbow injury might bring his career to an end (probably after the world cup) but nobody mentioned it in the summer when he was tearing the Aussies a new one.

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    No Burgey he was yapped up because he was the first good spinner we had had since Underwood. We went OTT simply for the novelty value.

To be fair to him he has had a great career for a late starter and he may well have had 400+ test wickets by now if Fletcher wasn't such a pigheaded barsteward. His elbow injury might bring his career to an end (probably after the world cup) but nobody mentioned it in the summer when he was tearing the Aussies a new one.
    lol
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Yeah I wouldn't go that far. That certainly happened at Lord's - assisted in no small measure by the bats - but other than that I think his only really big haul was at OT and I dunno how much credence you want to put on that as an example of "running through a side".

Burgey's right though. He hasn't bowled badly, he's just been treated about as disdainfully as any other visiting offie.

His bowling at Lord's turned the series though. Shut the door on Australia winning back the Ashes. Was pivotal, should not be underestimated.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar

Yeah, those 40+ wickets he took to singlehandedly win England the series were astonishing...
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Yeah, I think there's a lot of distain from some Aussies towards how certain English players are perceived by their own, i.e. overhyped, but I think it's pretty understandable given the respective sides in the last ten/twenty years. England have a lot of players who are the best they've had for a long time, while for the Aussies they're inferior to their own equivalents from merely six or seven years ago, so the English are always going to view their players higher than most Australians view the same players.
    hendrix likes this.
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Yeah, I think there's a lot of distain from some Aussies towards how certain English players are perceived by their own, i.e. overhyped, but I think it's pretty understandable given the respective sides in the last ten/twenty years. England have a lot of players who are the best they've had for a long time, while for the Aussies they're inferior to their own equivalents from merely six or seven years ago, so the English are always going to view their players higher than most Australians view the same players.
    Yeah, fair enough. I know I seem to feel that England go a little OTT wrt their own players (except for Ian Bell).
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    His bowling at Lord's turned the series though. Shut the door on Australia winning back the Ashes. Was pivotal, should not be underestimated.
    Yeah, true. Not quite what I would say is "ripping us a new one", though.
    Son Of Coco likes this.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

State Vice-Captain
    Swann's a thoroughly decent bowler been allowed to bowl above and beyond his actual station by ****house batsmen for far too long. Same as Anderson, really. No slight against either but their supporters, especially Anderson's, have been some of the most annoying posters on the web.
    DDP likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Yeah, true. Not quite what I would say is "ripping us a new one", though.
    True. Considering Mitch Johnson has just ripped England a new on in the last two tests, its become an extremely high bar to meet now though

His contribution at Trent Bridge was also absolutely vital.

Then there's his hauls in the two matches that we won in 2009.

I'm not sure what more we should be expecting from a finger spinner in England.

I thought he underperformed at TB actually. Should have done more on a pitch that had serious turn (if slow turn)

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    His contribution at Trent Bridge was also absolutely vital.

Then there's his hauls in the two matches that we won in 2009.

I'm not sure what more we should be expecting from a finger spinner in England.
    Agree with this totally, and yes he is being rested for this series, he's miles better than any other spinner we have.

The elbow problems clearly remain he has had many ops on it taking many fragments out of his arm, sorry Benchmark, but to suggest it's just an excuse when he's bowling badly is clearly nonsense, the guy has real problems with injury. He needs rest and thankfully he'll get it after this series
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Never have I said that he hasn't had elbow issues in the last.

The reason for him not being effective in Australia this time around is the same reason he hasn't been effective in Australia the other games he's played in Australia, and I'll give you a tip: it's not because he has a sore elbow.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information