• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Swann

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
Just reading about the ODI Squads (I know I'm a few days late).

But why is it always listed that "Swann is being rested".

He hasn't played an ODI since June.

Why can't we just drop him? Because he is one of the enclosed group of the old boys club that England run by?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely 'dropped' would imply that Tredwell or whoever is a better bowler.

Pretty sure his body just isn't up to playing so many games anymore and they're trying to ration him and prepare for his retirement.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hasn't he bowled the most or second most overs in international cricket in the last year or so?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Dead, I'm afraid.

To borrow a CWism.
Aye, killed in a car crash late in September. The signs are already there if you look carefully enough at the ECB's public pronouncements lately. Apparently if you play the recording of the tour squad's announcement backwards it clearly and repeatedly tells us 'Swanny's been dead for weeks now'

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
It's not like he hasn't played a decent amount of cricket in australia or in odi cricket - and there is that triangular series before the WC next year in Aus so it really doesn't hurt England's preparations for the WC at all. If anything resting two or three of the players gives a good chance for others to get used to the conditions for the WC. Swann, KP and Anderson will all be back for the WC in all likelihood and probably retire afterwards from ODI cricket.

91Jmay

International Coach
Love how certain posters on here still like to imply that Swann isn't any good. You'd think 250 poles at 29s would be solid evidence that he is a good bowler but apparently not.

Burgey

He's a solid off spinner isn't he? But he was yapped up like the second Laker on here for a couple of years.

Australia is a terribad place for offies in general. I don think he's bowled badly this series, but there's been an obvious plan to get after him which has largely worked and has effected England's plans pretty badly, because he hadn't been able to bowl those long, tight spells which build pressure for other bowlers.

Assuming England weather the early stuff from Australia, I expect them to go after Lyon in a similar way this test.

flibbertyjibber

No Burgey he was yapped up because he was the first good spinner we had had since Underwood. We went OTT simply for the novelty value.

To be fair to him he has had a great career for a late starter and he may well have had 400+ test wickets by now if Fletcher wasn't such a pigheaded barsteward. His elbow injury might bring his career to an end (probably after the world cup) but nobody mentioned it in the summer when he was tearing the Aussies a new one.

Riggins

International Captain
No Burgey he was yapped up because he was the first good spinner we had had since Underwood. We went OTT simply for the novelty value.

To be fair to him he has had a great career for a late starter and he may well have had 400+ test wickets by now if Fletcher wasn't such a pigheaded barsteward. His elbow injury might bring his career to an end (probably after the world cup) but nobody mentioned it in the summer when he was tearing the Aussies a new one.
lol

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I wouldn't go that far. That certainly happened at Lord's - assisted in no small measure by the bats - but other than that I think his only really big haul was at OT and I dunno how much credence you want to put on that as an example of "running through a side".

Burgey's right though. He hasn't bowled badly, he's just been treated about as disdainfully as any other visiting offie.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
His bowling at Lord's turned the series though. Shut the door on Australia winning back the Ashes. Was pivotal, should not be underestimated.