• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Swann

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The really difficult part is working oh which England players Swann isn't referring to. Let's go through the side:

Cook - uppity. Basically wears a sign on his forehead that says "I'm a private school tosspot" (all private school students are tosspots ftr)

Carberry - honest bloke. Won't be him

Root - thinks his **** doesn't stink. But it does

KP - well, yeah

Bell - had one good series and think he's God's gift and is living off it without putting in on tour

Stokes - decent player but seems a knob. Should fit in well then

Prior - knob jockey

Broad - same as Bell

Bresnan - solid bloke. Not him

Anderson - dining out on past glories and still gobby despite getting a pasting. Is a dick head.

Panesar - pisses on people. I mean, come on.

Can't blame Swann for retiring
what a post

adub

International Captain
The really difficult part is working oh which England players Swann isn't referring to. Let's go through the side:

Cook - uppity. Basically wears a sign on his forehead that says "I'm a private school tosspot" (all private school students are tosspots ftr)

Carberry - honest bloke. Won't be him

Root - thinks his **** doesn't stink. But it does

KP - well, yeah

Bell - had one good series and think he's God's gift and is living off it without putting in on tour

Stokes - decent player but seems a knob. Should fit in well then

Prior - knob jockey

Broad - same as Bell

Bresnan - solid bloke. Not him

Anderson - dining out on past glories and still gobby despite getting a pasting. Is a dick head.

Panesar - pisses on people. I mean, come on.

Can't blame Swann for retiring
someone's having a golden summer, but it ain't anyone English

Spark

Global Moderator
Most likely many in the team share his opinion tbh, so the substance of his comments is no news to the inner sanctum, even if the timing is a bit... odd.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Always thought Swann was quite a character. Shame
In my experience "character" is often a synonym for another "c" word entirely.

Wasn't Anderson-Broad-Swann talked of as something of an anti-KP cartel within the team last year?
That was sort of what I meant with my "he's either with you or against you" and "hint of the schoolyard bully" comments. Tim Bresnan (bless his heart, but clearly not Mensa material) is very much the Karl Pilkington to his Ricky Gervais and Anderson's Stephen Merchant, if their Twatter exchanges are anything to go by. Which is fine if a player can take it, but some can't.

There's no doubt KP is an awkward character and it's also inescapable that he is an outsider, so it's not hard to imagine he has been the victim of some similar "banter", which, given his awkwardness and his need to feel wanted/loved, could've lead to the situation we saw last summer.

So I'm reading that Swann says his comments were about nobody who plays for England
Stable door. Horse. Locking. Bolted, etc.

Hooksey

Banned
It made sense and they tried it in Adelaide. 1 It didn't work and 2 they no longer have 2 good spinners to choose. If Swann was still there they may well have gone down that path again in sydney dependent on conditions especially as Stokes has done ok but it isn't an option now.
By calling up both Scott Borthwick and James Tredwell to their Test squad, England are keeping their options open to the possibility of playing 2 spinners in Sydney.

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
Certainly didn't expect this when I started the thread about him being dropped from the ODI team a week ago!

My thoughts are this. I'm almost certain he has been told he is dropped, as is Prior. So who cares? He obviously thinks "I've been dropped, there's no chance for me coming back, f*ck it I'm going home for Christmas"

As the point of this thread showed - he has already been dropped in ODI's for Tredwell, so no surprise that this has come now to be honest.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Am disappointed Kerrigan isn't in the team. It's been far too long between quotes and pics from 'The Castle'.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Swann should have gone out in style - not by playing well, by walking straight up to Dave Warner on boxing day, and nutting him in the nose to enthusiastic applause from ... well the whole world really.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I don't understand why the hate in the thread for swann leaving suddenly. Damien Martyn equally just left mid series iirrc and no one got on his case. Seems like double standards.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't understand why the hate in the thread for swann leaving suddenly. Damien Martyn equally just left mid series iirrc and no one got on his case. Seems like double standards.
Well certainly my feelings towards Swann are not of hate but more of bitter disappointment. And tbf Damien Martyn left a team stomping towards a 5-0 victory.........hardly the same as Swann deserting the sinking ship.