View Poll Results: To hook or not to hook?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blimey yes Captain Hook

2 50.00%
  • No way Jose, put thy hook away

2 50.00%
  • Hmmm happy hookers, who can resist em

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To hook or not to hook?

Icon5 To hook or not to hook?

In light of England's dismissals from the 1st & 2nd Tests - best illustrated by this chart courtesy of another post:

Workbook: Ashes wickets

Taking into account the differing strategy and psychology of the 2 approaches, and the effect it has on both batsman and bowler - hooking or not hooking - I've felt the need to pose the question - to the English batsmen not so much the Aussies.

Should Flower/Gooch/Cook in fact ban the hook? Much as the sweep was once banned on a tour long ago following a spate of outs? Or should they leave it to discretion and keep trying to fight fire with fire?
    Last edited by KungFu_Kallis; 12-12-2013 at 02:28 PM.

Should just start using the hook shot appropriately to be honest.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    No I don't think they really can ban it. It's one of the most instinctive shots going around. If blokes play it, I don't think they can just switch it off.

It's probably worth not playing it til you're in for half an hour so though.

Johnson bowls 4-5 over spells. 30 balls max at a time. It's his extra pace that's killing them. I'd thinkers of breaking down his spells. Youre going to face 15-20 balls from him in a spell, on average. Maybe half of those will be short. I'd just be looking to get through them tbh. Make him bowl differently.

Easier said than done though.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Root has shown the right application to the short stuff. Unfortunately he's then got out to other deliveries, presumably due to the pressure of not scoring much off the quicks.

An in-form Cook could take it on, I reckon. But his dismissal in the second dig at Adelaide showed where he is at currently.

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No I don't think they really can ban it. It's one of the most instinctive shots going around. If blokes play it, I don't think they can just switch it off.

It's probably worth not playing it til you're in for half an hour.
    How do you not play it for the first half hour if you can't switch it off?
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Riggins, It's the old riddle isn't it. If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!?
    English schoolboys have been served up a bland dish for years, but at the end comes the irresistible reward.

If you can't control it then you shelve it like Steve did. Grow a set and wear some for your team if its needed.

Ooooh Brad Haddin, he hooks when he wants.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Root has shown the right application to the short stuff. Unfortunately he's then got out to other deliveries, presumably due to the pressure of not scoring much off the quicks.

An in-form Cook could take it on, I reckon. But his dismissal in the second dig at Adelaide showed where he is at currently.
    Summed up well.

Probably Cook's best shot normally but he is totally gone at present.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!

International Regular OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Proud member of the Indian STFU: Sane Tendulkar Fanboy Union.
    Our motto: Sachin WAG, Don>>>Sachin

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    How do you not play it for the first half hour if you can't switch it off?
    No I just mean you be a bit selective about it. Some guys are compulsive but not as many as there used to be. But I really don't think you can just say to a KP, Cook or a Prior not to play the shot at all.

Think with Johnson, quite difficult to duck under because you don't pick it up as easily, so guys are standing up for longer and can't get underneath it. If it's aimed over leg stump, you can't sway back; a lot of this stuff is quite instinctive really, and they end up with not many options but to hook out of self defence.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Think with Johnson, quite difficult to duck under because you don't pick it up as easily, so guys are standing up for longer and can't get underneath it. If it's aimed over leg stump, you can't sway back; a lot of this stuff is quite instinctive really, and they end up with not many options but to hook out of self defence.
    I think that's pretty much it. If they put the hook away they'd be resigning themselves to getting hit a lot. Some batsmen are fine with that but it's hardly a long-term, team-level solution. You can't just sit everyone down and say "here's the plan: we all get the bat out of the way, stand still and cop it".

It's funny though, they never had trouble picking up Johnson before. Until this series they played him about as well as any team plays any bowler.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 13-12-2013 at 05:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post

It's probably worth not playing it til you're in for half an hour so though.

Johnson bowls 4-5 over spells. 30 balls max at a time. It's his extra pace that's killing them. I'd thinkers of breaking down his spells. Youre going to face 15-20 balls from him in a spell, on average. Maybe half of those will be short. I'd just be looking to get through them tbh. Make him bowl differently.

Easier said than done though.
    Steve Waugh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information