• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will play their last test during the Australian Ashes series?

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
I remember this thread being made for the previous series. Now to discuss who will retire or be moved on during/after this series.

For me the likely ones are;

Chris Rogers- I imagine the selectors will want to move him on at the end of the series to be replaced long-term with Hughes. Hopefully they will have the decency to let him know beforehand so he can retire on his own accord. That being said, he seems like the kind of guy who would be happy to leave on top after (hopefully) an Ashes victory rather than get dropped on form after some relatively insignificant series.

Brad Haddin- Same as Rogers. Still better that Wade and Paine though so will hopefully stick around.

George Bailey- I assume he'll hold his place until the end of the series, but if he fails to get some big scores I can see him getting permanently dumped for Hughes, Khawaja, North or whoever else is tearing up the domestic scene.

Ryan Harris- Same as Rogers/Haddin, but less likely. Somebody will eventually have to make way for Patto/Starc/Cummins though.

Jonathan Trott- Fingers crossed he can make a full recovery and play international cricket again. We'll just have to wait and see.

Chris Tremlett- Not sure if there are any good quicks coming though in CC. But I could imagine him being overtaken and never heard of at test level again.

inb4 Mitchell Johnson

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rhino will definitely stay on, his body allowing. Haddin has stated his intention to play till the World Cup and then go from there, so I can't see him throwing in the towel just yet.

Rogers is an interesting one given that he was selected purely to score runs in England and if you were going to pick any out of the current team to retire, it would be him, but given how long it took him to get a proper shot at this level, I can't see him letting go that easily. Think the squad for whatever our next tour is will be very similar to what it is now.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think Stokes's time will come again, but it won't be batting at six.

Tremmers is a fair shout. In fact, if he misses out for the WACA XI he might already have had his swansong.

One not mentioned so far is Carberry. Unless he really churns out some daddies from now on in I can see the selectors going for a younger man for the early English tests. Guy rising into his mid-thirties hasn't been picked on potential.

stumpski

International Captain
Monty perhaps? Might get a go at Sydney but unlikely to be picked for the home Tests - even if Swann were dropped/crocked they could well go with Tredwell as a like-for-like. Don't know if we're touring in Asia at all next winter though.

Carberry yeah, hard to see what he brings that Compton didn't. Guy had earned a chance though IMO.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Haddin has made scores of 94, 53 and 118 in the three innings he's played. And keeping well. I think he can stay on form. Just behind MJ for man of the series after 2 tests.

Rogers hasn't been brilliant but he made a 72 in the 2nd test and he's doing the job of blunting the new ball, which is making life easier for the middle order (although he only made 16 in the 2nd test, he faced 80 balls).

I seriously don't want to see Khawaja, Hughes or North anywhere near this team anytime soon.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Ryan Harris is the second best bowler in the world. No way will this be his last series, body allowing.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Harris to play on till his body gives out which hopefully is long enough to groom one of the young ones.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Doug the mug. Gets 1 more Test in Melb or Syd, doesn't quite set the house on fire, and is overtaken by the young guns for the following tour to SA.

Also possibly KP, in "shock" retirement/defection to IPL/T20 next year.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't see why Rogers, haddin etc wouldn't be picked for SA, and don't see why they would retire before that tour. Could certainly see those two playing their last tests during that tour

benchmark00

There's no way in the world that Rogers would retire, just not going to happen. Rogers will leave the side through bad form (ie getting dropped). No one waits as long as he has to play for Australia only to retire after 2/3 series through his own choosing.

Haddin has said he will play until the World Cup. Unless CA tell him he won't be required for then, he'll keep playing, no way will he be retiring from tests to focus on ODI's.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
I think any Aussie players would be more likely to retire after the South Africa tour than after the Ashes. That tour is not long after the home season, and brings to an end arguably the toughest 12-month program in cricket at the moment (test tours to India/England/South Africa plus home Ashes series). The selectors will have an opportunity after that to reassess the make up of the squad. I don't see why the selectors would want to move anyone on after the Ashes when this has been by far the most settled team we've had in 12 months.

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
Monty perhaps? Might get a go at Sydney but unlikely to be picked for the home Tests - even if Swann were dropped/crocked they could well go with Tredwell as a like-for-like. Don't know if we're touring in Asia at all next winter though.

Carberry yeah, hard to see what he brings that Compton didn't. Guy had earned a chance though IMO.
If this series is Monty's last, they are wasting a perfectly good bowler for an absolute roller in Tredwell. He's a liability in the field, but selectors would be crazy to pass him up for Tredders or Kerrigan. [For all the talk of Monty bowling short (which is inevitable when batsmen use their feet), he still was more economical than Swann and created more chances.] Puts plenty of revolutions on the ball, which compensates for his faster pace. Maybe if Dockrell trades in his passport, skipping Monty makes some sense, but not otherwise.

I don't think this series will see the last tests for most players except one, sadly:
Steve+Smith+Wallpapers+(3).jpg

I know, blasphemy.

flibbertyjibber

Can't see Tremlett or Trott in an England shirt again after this series.

As for Australia you always fear for a guy like Harris on fitness grounds but hope that is wrong but can see them going forward with this side/squad for as long as possible.