• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Getting away with it

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Needless to say, when your team is winning the spotlight doesn't glare as harshly when you're in gash form.

That in mind - what would Australia's reaction be to Watto and Smith be if the 2-0 was reversed?

If I had a heart, I'd almost feel for Watto. Guy just can't get a break.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Watson made a fifty, took a key wicket and bowled some handy overs, nothing much would be said of him.

Some heat would probably (unjustly) be going on Smitteh though, but if Australia were 2-0 down then it'd mean he's not alone in struggling.

Spikey

There's no reason to assume Smith and Watson would have put in identical performances.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Watson made a fifty, took a key wicket and bowled some handy overs, nothing much would be said of him.

Some heat would probably (unjustly) be going on Smitteh though, but if Australia were 2-0 down then it'd mean he's not alone in struggling.
He scored a 50 and immediately followed it with a duck.

That is soooooooo Watson

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watson (and Bailey and Rogers) is done in a year or so as there are a number of young batsmen scoring runs in domestic cricket but aren't quite ready for the step up

Smith needs to be persevered with

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Watto, for all his alleged talent, doesn't look like a 3 batsman to me.

As an opener, he kind of got away with the makeshift, 'he's doing it for the team' thing

Burgey

Good thread this. Let me add another hypothetical.

After his first innings dismissal in Brisbane, what if Clarke came out second dig, decided to take Broad on like he did, but holed out like Trott did in his second effort? I reckon there'd have been calls for blood.

On topic though, Watson is massive value to Australia's bowling plans IMO because he bowls with the kind of discipline he can only dream of batting with. And TPC is TPC so he's untouchable.

Daemon

Yeah Watson's bowling is really useful. I looked up his figures in the three innings he's bowled the other day and iirc it's something like 11-10-6-1.

Riggins

International Captain

After his first innings dismissal in Brisbane, what if Clarke came out second dig, decided to take Broad on like he did, but holed out like Trott did in his second effort? I reckon there'd have been calls for blood.
Yeah even if he hadn't got out hooking, but just made not many. After a dismissal that looked as bad as the first dig, anyone in the team who wasn't Clarke there would have been calls to axe.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Isn't this similar to how many England players performed last summer in a winning team?
Yeah

Cook was poor; Trott looked confused, his approach looked contrived; KP infuriatingly inconsistent (although I loved his half-century at the Oval); Root poor apart from his 180.

flibbertyjibber

Yeah

Cook was poor; Trott looked confused, his approach looked contrived; KP infuriatingly inconsistent (although I loved his half-century at the Oval); Root poor apart from his 180.
To be fair we now know why Trott was poor, well a contributory factor to it at least.

Burgey

Off topic, but Neil Oliver's Coast: Australia is fantastic. Tonight's episode on Sydney Harbour was awesome. I commend it to our English brethren as it will demonstrate why we rightly consider ourselves so ****ing superior to everyone else on the planet.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
To be fair we now know why Trott was poor, well a contributory factor to it at least.
It's rare you see a player's mental issues so in the open as Trott's.

I remember people talking about his inability to basically score runs, so he came out to be overtly aggressive. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with this, but it was just felt voyeuristic. Like he was taking a phone-in vote in how he should bat.

Looks like this contributed to, or were the result, of his issues.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Off topic, but Neil Oliver's Coast: Australia is fantastic. Tonight's episode on Sydney Harbour was awesome. I commend it to our English brethren as it will demonstrate why we rightly consider ourselves so ****ing superior to everyone else on the planet.
Just watching Simon Reeve's Australia at the Mo.

Not bad.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

On topic though, Watson is massive value to Australia's bowling plans IMO because he bowls with the kind of discipline he can only dream of batting with. And TPC is TPC so he's untouchable.
Its amazing isn't it. Really is a game of inches sometimes. Had he gone out he'd have been absolutely lambasted just like Cook was. Instead Clarke looks ballsy and a leader and it has added to his legacy.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I am going to be really generous to Watson here and say that his bowling is on a par with Faulkner, Butterworth and Copeland

If any of those guys were playing, England would try and belt them

For whatever reason, he gets off easy and England's tactics in this regard are wrong

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Its amazing isn't it. Really is a game of inches sometimes. Had he gone out he'd have been absolutely lambasted just like Cook was. Instead Clarke looks ballsy and a leader and it has added to his legacy.
While this is true for Clarke, there is no one thing England could have done better, or got lucky on.

We've been **** through and through

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I am going to be really generous to Watson here and say that his bowling is on a par with Faulkner, Butterworth and Copeland

If any of those guys were playing, England would try and belt them

For whatever reason, he gets off easy and England's tactics in this regard are wrong
Agreed. If you can't even pick a few off the opposition's 5th bowler, you've a serious problem.