• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Getting away with it

uvelocity

International Coach
or, shock horror, watsons actually a pretty decent and dangerous bowler. not getting away with that posting

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
or, shock horror, watsons actually a pretty decent and dangerous bowler. not getting away with that posting
Sure but if the attitude is "MJ too quick", Harris "too good", Siddle "too straight", Lyon "only spinner" then who the hell are they going to score off

Literally the only reasons Clarke brings Watson onto bowl is to dry up runs and give others a rest

Answer: try to belt him

Spark

Global Moderator
Its amazing isn't it. Really is a game of inches sometimes. Had he gone out he'd have been absolutely lambasted just like Cook was. Instead Clarke looks ballsy and a leader and it has added to his legacy.
It did help that he does actually have a good pull and hook shot, unlike Trott (I actually don't really have too many issues with Cook's shot as it's one of like three shots he actually plays really well, though perhaps he could have left that particular delivery). It's not like he had to hurriedly add a shot to his repertoire on an unfamiliar pitch.

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Sure but if the attitude is "MJ too quick", Harris "too good", Siddle "too straight", Lyon "only spinner" then who the hell are they going to score off

Literally the only reasons Clarke brings Watson onto bowl is to dry up runs and give others a rest

Answer: try to belt him
I hope they do, he's putting them in decent spots. Pick his wicket tally up a lot.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
To be honest, Watson, Rogers and Bailey were all lucky to score fifties in Adelaide. If they hadn't there would be plenty of pressure on all of them (obviously not as much as if we were 2 down though). The media would no doubt make SMiffy their new whipping boy, completely unjustly. This 'fail in 2 tests and you're out' business is garbage.

Edit: I don't mean that they relied on luck to score them, but rather it was a very opportune time to do so.

Tangles

Smith is already in the firing line from fans. Have s buddy in WA who wants him replaced by North or SMarsh ffs.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Have always rated Watson's bowling far more than his batting. He's not a guy you can just smack around and get away with it.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I've got Electronic stuck in my head now.

Surprised at all the Smith talk. Performed very creditably in the first series, I thought, and is only two games removed from a maiden ton.

Tangles

I hope it's just fans being fickle and that the selectors show some faith. It's about time we did after the treatment of Hughes and Uzi.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It did help that he does actually have a good pull and hook shot, unlike Trott (I actually don't really have too many issues with Cook's shot as it's one of like three shots he actually plays really well, though perhaps he could have left that particular delivery). It's not like he had to hurriedly add a shot to his repertoire on an unfamiliar pitch.
Sure but no one would have cared, just like no one cares (not that many people anyway) that Cook's good at the pull/hook shot. All they are talking about is his poor leadership when the team needed him.

Had Clarke got caught in the deep second ball or whatever there would have been some criticism, whether he's good at the shot or not. Just agreeing with Burgey that the difference between "you ****ing idiot, your'e the captain" and "what courageous batting, amazing leadership" can literally come down to execution of a shot.