• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Prior V Haddin

Who is the better Test Cricketer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I can't be the only one who's bored of this rearing it's hard in all match threads. So lay down your cards once and for all. Who's the better Test cricketer?

Flem274*

123/5
Haddin is quality and in better nick atm, but Prior is clearly ahead. This comparison is only a thing because of one poster with a blue eye patch.

Debris

International 12th Man
This is a bit of an unfortunate comparison because Haddin did not get a chance in tests until he was past his best. I have a suspicion that Haddin was probably a better cricketer in his prime but there is no doubt that Prior has had the better test career.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think there's little between their keeping, which considering Haddin's age says a by about Prior. I also think Prior has been fortunate (that's the wrong word tbf to him) to have had a decent amount of his prime in the test side.

I don't believe Prior is better than Haddin tbh. People can't say Haddin's not as flash because of his last 12 months before he left the test side the first time, but then turn around and say "oh well, Matty's just out of form at the mo".

I think they are actually very close with the bat, closer than their averages would suggest. Both hit or miss, both attacking and both capable of taking a game away from the opposition. They can both also be utterly infuriating to their supporters.

I actually think it's pretty close to a tie between them overall, though i do believe in his prime Haddin was a better glove man than Prior.

Flem274*

123/5
He debuted at around age 30 iirc. Batting wise, that's smack bang in the middle of his prime if he followed the general trend of batsmen peaks. I agree he's an underrated keeper though. He may have been taken for granted a bit until Wade came along.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haddin the better keeper, Prior the slightly better bat. Both very very good international players.

Prior's knock in NZ to save England the series probably better than any knock Haddin's ever played, but one knock doesn't define a career.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't see Haddin as the better keeper, tbh. Even with his batting in the crapper Prior's work is generally tidier, especially when standing up.

At the moment tho, there's no comparison. I'm not one for meaningless extrapolations from their overall body of work. As I've said before, cricket isn't played in stasis, it's played in the here and now, and here and now it's Haddin.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haddin just going through a purple patch and exciting the fanbois. Nothing to get excited about.

benchmark00

Haddin the better batsman and keeper.

But other than that, yeah sure lets go Prior!

Talk about one of the most overrated players of this generation, sheesh. Makes Anthony Koutoufides look underrated.

flibbertyjibber

Since the 80's the only keeper/bat i'd swap Prior for is Gilchrist. That is how highly I rate him, Haddin and Dhoni just behind him though. Been a great few years for keeper/bats as far as watching is concerned, shame that proper keepers don't get a look though.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If I claimed that Warner was a better bat than Cook then people would rightly claim that I had rocks in my head because a few tests don't make a career

Haddin v Prior is the same

I still remember Haddin averaging 23 with the bat in the 3 years leading up to this series

I still remember him dropping (nay, not even getting to) the regulation Joe Root edge that cost us the test at Lords

I still remember his disgraceful batting against SA which should have seen him marked NTPA

Furthermore, the only reason Haddin is in the team is that Wade was a joke keeper and not because he did anything to deserve a recall

I am (obviously) an Oz supporter but hope Prior goes on a tear in this series whilst his team loses 5-0 so we can put this ridiculous argument to bed

benchmark00

:laugh:

Best part for mine was the berating of Wade, forgetting that social was advocating for Wade's inclusion in the team for this series. Such a fulfilling meal.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
If I claimed that Warner was a better bat than Cook then people would rightly claim that I had rocks in my head because a few tests don't make a career

Haddin v Prior is the same

I still remember Haddin averaging 23 with the bat in the 3 years leading up to this series

I still remember him dropping (nay, not even getting to) the regulation Joe Root edge that cost us the test at Lords

I still remember his disgraceful batting against SA which should have seen him marked NTPA

Furthermore, the only reason Haddin is in the team is that Wade was a joke keeper and not because he did anything to deserve a recall

I am (obviously) an Oz supporter but hope Prior goes on a tear in this series whilst his team loses 5-0 so we can put this ridiculous argument to bed

I haven't checked the stats, but Haddin's batting always seems to pick up in time for England.