• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Siddle won't get dropped. Lyon on the other hand is very likely.
Normally I'd be inclined to think Lyon is in trouble, but the Australians plans to the English with Lyon are massively relent on bounce, i.e. short backward square and bat pad, going around the wicket and getting one to bounce up and caught in close. So I'd be disappointed to see Lyon dropped on that basis leading into a ground which is a bounce fest.

That's not to say I think Lyon will do much work in Perth, but hey.

benchmark00

I think Johnson bowling like this makes Pattinson slightly unnecessary - two shock bowlers is a bit much.
Pattinson isn't a shock bowler though. He's a 'pitch it up, get some swing, get some bite' sort of bowler, who can also bowl a short ball and fight the opposition.

Spark

Global Moderator
Pattinson isn't a shock bowler though. He's a 'pitch it up, get some swing, get some bite' sort of bowler, who can also bowl a short ball and fight the opposition.
He will be that bowler (I'm on record as calling him a future ATG) but right now his method is basically to try and blast out batsmen by any means necessary, and not care too much about the number of boundaries that gets hit off him as a result. Which is fine ofc.

benchmark00

He will be that bowler (I'm on record as calling him a future ATG) but right now his method is basically to try and blast out batsmen by any means necessary, and not care too much about the number of boundaries that gets hit off him as a result. Which is fine ofc.
But Pattinson gets hit for boundaries by pitching it up and not swinging or doing enough, or just over pitching. It's not like people sit on the back foot and pull and hook him all day.

It's like Starc, when he's expensive it's because he's erring on the side of being too full.

Spark

Global Moderator
But Pattinson gets hit for boundaries by pitching it up and not swinging or doing enough, or just over pitching. It's not like people sit on the back foot and pull and hook him all day.

It's like Starc, when he's expensive it's because he's erring on the side of being too full.
True. But the point is that drying it up, sticking to a metronomic line and length and just bowling maiden after maiden is not really something he does yet. And given how important the dry-bowling tactic has become to this attack, it's not ideal to have only one frontline seamer who really does that.

I'd still pick him if fully fit, ofc, because he's that damn good, but with Johnson bowling like this and Harris fit, we aren't short of raw wicket-taking potential so he is slightly surplus to requirements.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Man, talk about cricket themed first world problems. Too many wicket taking fast bowlers.

Love it.

Spark

Global Moderator
:laugh: Yeah. Basically I think the pace attack is working absolutely fine, and whilst Patto would be great he's not actually necessary.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
NSP have named the same 12 for the Perth Test, with Bollinger and NCN hanging around if Harris breaks during training.

No real surprise there.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh I don't disagree. It's just nice thinking about an Indian fan's reaction to reading the last few posts.

Edit: @Spark

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Oh I don't disagree. It's just nice thinking about an Indian fan's reaction to reading the last few posts.

Edit: @Spark
A year or so ago in the CW trading players thread I said India would give up many of its middle order batsmen, even its top ones in Kohli or Pujara, for Mitch (when he was ****) or Patto. Probably both for just one.

This is just rubbing salt though, lol.

Burgey

With Perth to come, assuming Johnsnon stays fit and bowls at something like the level he's displayed so far, he has an opportunity to dominate a series like few fast bowlers since Thomson in 74/75 and 75/76.

I'm not just talking about the number of wickets he's taking, but the manner in which he's getting them - fast and intimidating. It just doesn't happen that often.

Burgey

As for England, I wonder whether they will themselves consider four quicks and not playing Swann.

I know he's integral to their plans, and the thought of him not playing on any ground would have been ridiculous a couple of months ago, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went with

Cook
Carberry
Root
Pietersen
Bell
Ballance (poor bastard, what a place to debut)
Prior
Bresnan
Broad
Anderson
Finn/ Tremlett/ Rankin

Alternatively, seeing as their batting really has been woeful, they could play Stokes at seven as a fourth quick, and push the others down a spot to leave Anderson at 11 in the above line up.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
yeah, I don't mind either of those lineups, especially considering:
a) Swann's poor form with the bat as well
b) that Root and Pietersen can get through a few overs if need be.

I would definitely play Rankin at Perth, btw.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
While Swann hasn't been in good touch on this tour, I'd definitely keep him in the side. There's a big step down in quality amongst the English seamers once you move past Broad, Anderson and Bresnan, and Swann's the type of bowler who can turn around poor form at any time.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hmm, it's not like Swann's been bowling full toss after full toss amidst a steady diet of long hops. He's just come up against a few (and it really is about four) batsmen who have played him very well in a death zone for finger-spinners.

Spikey

wouldnt be against dropping swann for a seamer. dropping swann for monty would be crazy though

Burgey

I'm not saying he's been bowling badly overall, just it's now imperative that England takes 20 wickets at least twice to retain the Ashes. I just wonder whether they'd consider it, given Perth is even more a of a graveyard than Brisbane and certainly more than Adelaide ought to have been.

Spikey

Chloe Saltau ‏@chloejane32 4m
Johnson and Stokes charged with making physical contact under ICC code of conduct in 2nd Ashes Test. Have contested the charge

Daniel Brettig ‏@danbrettig 1m
If found guilty after contesting it they could be suspended for a Test. #cricket