• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Spineless pathetic bastards...

SpofforthLohman

U19 12th Man
Has England thought about instituting some sort of rotation policy?
Mate any rotation policy is doomed to failure unless your nation happens to be overloaded with many great fast bowlers to choose from, so in England's case that would be a disastrous idea as it has proved for us Aussies. The idea makes sense if you have a Lohmann, a Trueman, a Larwood, a Bedser, a Barnes a Richardson, a Tyson,and say some Harmisons and Bothams around all at the same time tehn rotating them would probably be a great idea. Thank god you don't have all those blokes at the same time, no team would last two days against you..

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think there's anything wrong with rotating players in dead rubbers, but only if the player in question has been under a heavy workload.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
When we rested players against Bangas, and in dead rubber v Windies, there was a LOT of criticism
Indeed.

A lot of it from the rested cricketers too; was widely reported that Jimmeh was properly lousy at missing the chance for a few more scalps.

To quote Stevie Nicks, players only love you when they're playing.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
maybe they could allow test players to retire from ODI cricket while allowing them to keep their central contract

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Its wrong to actually judge the England team from just one bad series. Recently all teams have dominated in their home games in test cricket.Not many of them have won an away series, at least England did well to beat India in India, and in the same conditions, Australia lost 4-0. Currently the competition is really fierce, its not like before when one or 2 teams are dominating the game and others are lagging behind. A slight advantage to a team can make a huge difference and that is the reason why most team look too good in home conditions.

True that the Aussies have raised their game, but England aren't doing that bad. Cook has been a good leader, he has a more methodical approach to his captaincy(similarly to Kumble) but that is completely fine. Every person has a different way to lead and motivate their side, Cook never over reacts or gets too aggressive, he stays calm and tries to take the best decisions, you can't blame him when the whole team is not performing. Even his team mates are quite happy with his leadership so I don't see much issues with him leading the side.

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Schedule is obviously a factor, but playing a lot of cricket doesn't make you scared of fast bowling. They haven't been exposed to such bowling for a while it seems and are playing it so incredibly poorly.

But the schedule is a problem with cricket, no doubt. Been saying it for years though - no solution likely.

England going through what India did in tour of England in 2011. Just came under-prepared, mentally not up for it, as a team past their peak, lots of players not what they were... and importantly... up against a team far far more hungry and up for the fight.

Only difference is no injuries... yet.
Obviously it's not the only issue. They have looked scared of Johnson. Just like they did with Steyn & co. a year back. We don't seem to know our best side - Cook's on his third opening partner in 3 series, over the last 3 years. Morgan, Bopara, Taylor & Bairstow have all failed to nail down a place in the middle order, in Ben Stokes, we're on our third all rounder in a year, and, when Bresnan isn't fit, we don't have a reliable third seam bowling option. And then, of course, threads like this take away from the fact that Australia are simply playing at a very high level right now. But I don't think it's any coincidence that Cook, Prior, Swann & Anderson are all performing well below their usual standards now, when they haven't had a proper break for two years now.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Schedule is obviously a factor, but playing a lot of cricket doesn't make you scared of fast bowling. They haven't been exposed to such bowling for a while it seems and are playing it so incredibly poorly.

But the schedule is a problem with cricket, no doubt. Been saying it for years though - no solution likely.

England going through what India did in tour of England in 2011. Just came under-prepared, mentally not up for it, as a team past their peak, lots of players not what they were... and importantly... up against a team far far more hungry and up for the fight.

Only difference is no injuries... yet.
What happened to Trott is the same as an injury from a team PoV.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Obviously it's not the only issue. They have looked scared of Johnson. Just like they did with Steyn & co. a year back. We don't seem to know our best side - Cook's on his third opening partner in 3 series, over the last 3 years. Morgan, Bopara, Taylor & Bairstow have all failed to nail down a place in the middle order, in Ben Stokes, we're on our third all rounder in a year, and, when Bresnan isn't fit, we don't have a reliable third seam bowling option. And then, of course, threads like this take away from the fact that Australia are simply playing at a very high level right now. But I don't think it's any coincidence that Cook, Prior, Swann & Anderson are all performing well below their usual standards now, when they haven't had a proper break for two years now.
I was right with you until your last sentence. Surely they had a two month break between these series? And a decent gap between India and NZ? Given that these guys play virtually no domestic cricket, I'm coming over all Geoff Boycott about the idea that they're knackered or stale.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I was right with you until your last sentence. Surely they had a two month break between these series? And a decent gap between India and NZ? Given that these guys play virtually no domestic cricket, I'm coming over all Geoff Boycott about the idea that they're knackered or stale.
A proper break where they can literally do nothing and recharge their batteries. I doubt that they were able to do that in between series this year.

Also, don't discount the effect that constant travelling and living out of hotels has on you. It's mentally draining.

Thankfully I believe that the Sydney Test is the only Test England will play away from home in 2014, so there should be a reasonable opportunity for some proper R&R post Ashes.

beachbum

Cricket Spectator
England aren't doing that bad.
Are you f'n serious?
Its only the second time in the history of Pom cricket that they've lost successive tests by more than 200 runs, they've never come from 2-0 down to win an Ashes series but you say there not doing bad!!

Last edited:

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
As much as I love seeing us give the Poms a belting, I honestly feel for their supporters.

Sure, we have done very well with both bat and ball and obviously for one team to win one has to lose. I also understand that that the whole Trott thing has likely shook up the English set-up. But England's batting in Adelaide was one of the most disgraceful perormances I have ever seen in test cricket. Getting bowled out for 172 is perhaps forgivable if the opposition bowling is simply unplayable; but when Monty Panesar is the only one who looks as though he actually cares and has a pair of balls then you know there is a problem. This whole business of getting out slogging (ala Cook in the second innings) is just ridiculous.

For a team with so much talent and more importantly so much to play for, the entire cricketing world deserves better than the tripe which is being dished up.

Edit:

I haven't even finished complaining yet. Imagine this; you have paid thousands of dollars to travel around the world to watch your beloved team defend their crown against the biggest rival. After getting thrashed in the first test, your team is 500 runs down and needing to bat out 2 days to (realistically) keep alive their hopes of retaining the title. Out comes the captain, one of the most respected, talented and mature players, and gets caught in the deep on the second over.

Are you watching Pakistan captained by Shahid Afridi?

No, this is England. The team who was recently #1 in the world and currently holders of the Ashes. For ****s sake...

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I can not think of any circumstance at all where I'd ever feel sympathy towards Aus supporters so I certainly don't expect (nor want) any in return.

Cricket excepted we just had a great few days on the hill, and our fans performance, especially today, fills me with pride.