Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Should Alastair Cook consider giving up the captaincy or retiring?

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Captain_Cook's Avatar

Should Alastair Cook consider giving up the captaincy or retiring?

Cook looked like a scared old man at Adelaide and I'm starting to think he shouldn't keep his place as a batsman. I really wanted him to be the first Englishman to score 10,000 Test runs but it doesn't look like he'll score another century in his career the way he's batted this year.

Should he give up the captaincy to focus on batting?

Should he just retire as he's been found out technically?
    Athlai likes this.
    He bowls to the left, he bowls to the right, but when he bowls at the stumps, he makes England look ****e!

My Modern Test XI (since 2000): AN Cook, GC Smith (c), HM Amla, KC Sangakkara (w), MJ Clarke, IR Bell, S Watson, GP Swann, VD Philander, DW Steyn, JM Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Cook View Post
    Cook looked like a scared old man at Adelaide and I'm starting to think he shouldn't keep his place as a batsman. I really wanted him to be the first Englishman to score 10,000 Test runs but it doesn't look like he'll score another century in his career the way he's batted this year.

Should he give up the captaincy to focus on batting?

Should he just retire as he's been found out technically?
    No x 2

He's not a great captain, but time should see him improve. And I don't know who would replace him as skipper. It's not his fault that he's been badly let down by experienced guys who should be offering so much more.

I know his batting looked poor today, but that can happen after 2 days in the field against someone bowling as well as Johnson. iirc he was our best batsman in the 2nd innings at Brisbane, so I wouldn't write him off just yet. Again, I have no idea who would replace him at the top of the order.

Cook is always going to go through times when he does not look like a very good player.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    I thought you said Cook was going to score a bagful of runs and captain us to victory. Soon changed your tune haven't you CC.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Cook was always likely to have a hard time against this Aussies attack. However, he'll be back scoring ton after another against the likes of India & Sri Lanka next yr.
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Captain_Cook's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    I thought you said Cook was going to score a bagful of runs and captain us to victory. Soon changed your tune haven't you CC.
    I also thought MJ would only turn up for Perth. Cook is obviously in a very barren patch and I started following cricket seriously during Headingley 2013 vs NZ which was the last time Cook scored 100.

I thought the Aussies were being Aussies in saying Cook had been figured out but his weakness and poor form make him ineffective. The fact Burgey and co were right makes me feel nauseous.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Cook isn't by any means my favourite player to watch, but he is a very good player who was undone by a perfect storm of problems last night. Tiredness, lack of footwork, late swing and extreme pace all combined to nail him on the crease and see him cleaned up. The bloke can play.

As for the captaincy, I wouldn't say he's Benaud, but he's not Yallop either. England used to chop and change captains all the time, but they've always done better when there was stability at the top - Vaughan and Strauss being he two most recent examples.

Apart from when I thought he had the field spread a little too far for Watson on day one against the spinners, I thought he captained pretty well this dig. It was 5/170 odd on a very flat deck remember, and no doubt he had a say on the selection which I think was right given how the pitch played. England got ragged towards the end of our dig but that's tired bowling, not Cook's fault. Nor is it his fault there were a couple of easy drops which could have had us all out for 275-300.

I think you're over reacting CC.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Massive overreaction

Oh ffs, 7 days of test cricket played and you are asking him to resign?
    This was a serious post:

Quote Originally Posted by Blocky View Post
    As for Sharma, sorry but he's the only Indian bowler outside of Khan who has consistently managed to take wickets away from home and trouble good batsman. Shami looks highly promising but India don't have better seam options than Sharma at the moment in test cricket. Quite simple.
    RIP Craigos. Owe you a beer.:(

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/2186298-post7381.html

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Is this thread actually being taken seriously ?
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    is this the same bloke who was saying that Cook was a legend of the game, was only in 3rd gear, will return to his glory to smash Australia... and is now calling for him to retire??
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Plops Champion! Tournaments Won: 2
    Some fair points here. Cook is quite clearly a spent man and a pretender to the throne. If England want to turn this Ashes around they need to drop Cook, give the captaincy to Broad and bring in some young blood to open.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

bugey far to magnusmamous here
    "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . For support rather than illumination. " - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    go home ubedocety your drnuk

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Bit of a fair weather fan here.

Everyone has rough patches but Burgey's been spot on in his post.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information