• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Alastair Cook consider giving up the captaincy or retiring?

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
Cook looked like a scared old man at Adelaide and I'm starting to think he shouldn't keep his place as a batsman. I really wanted him to be the first Englishman to score 10,000 Test runs but it doesn't look like he'll score another century in his career the way he's batted this year.

Should he give up the captaincy to focus on batting?

Should he just retire as he's been found out technically?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Cook looked like a scared old man at Adelaide and I'm starting to think he shouldn't keep his place as a batsman. I really wanted him to be the first Englishman to score 10,000 Test runs but it doesn't look like he'll score another century in his career the way he's batted this year.

Should he give up the captaincy to focus on batting?

Should he just retire as he's been found out technically?
No x 2

He's not a great captain, but time should see him improve. And I don't know who would replace him as skipper. It's not his fault that he's been badly let down by experienced guys who should be offering so much more.

I know his batting looked poor today, but that can happen after 2 days in the field against someone bowling as well as Johnson. iirc he was our best batsman in the 2nd innings at Brisbane, so I wouldn't write him off just yet. Again, I have no idea who would replace him at the top of the order.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cook is always going to go through times when he does not look like a very good player.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought you said Cook was going to score a bagful of runs and captain us to victory. Soon changed your tune haven't you CC.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Cook was always likely to have a hard time against this Aussies attack. However, he'll be back scoring ton after another against the likes of India & Sri Lanka next yr.

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
I thought you said Cook was going to score a bagful of runs and captain us to victory. Soon changed your tune haven't you CC.
I also thought MJ would only turn up for Perth. Cook is obviously in a very barren patch and I started following cricket seriously during Headingley 2013 vs NZ which was the last time Cook scored 100.

I thought the Aussies were being Aussies in saying Cook had been figured out but his weakness and poor form make him ineffective. The fact Burgey and co were right makes me feel nauseous.

Burgey

Cook isn't by any means my favourite player to watch, but he is a very good player who was undone by a perfect storm of problems last night. Tiredness, lack of footwork, late swing and extreme pace all combined to nail him on the crease and see him cleaned up. The bloke can play.

As for the captaincy, I wouldn't say he's Benaud, but he's not Yallop either. England used to chop and change captains all the time, but they've always done better when there was stability at the top - Vaughan and Strauss being he two most recent examples.

Apart from when I thought he had the field spread a little too far for Watson on day one against the spinners, I thought he captained pretty well this dig. It was 5/170 odd on a very flat deck remember, and no doubt he had a say on the selection which I think was right given how the pitch played. England got ragged towards the end of our dig but that's tired bowling, not Cook's fault. Nor is it his fault there were a couple of easy drops which could have had us all out for 275-300.

I think you're over reacting CC.

benchmark00

:laugh: is this the same bloke who was saying that Cook was a legend of the game, was only in 3rd gear, will return to his glory to smash Australia... and is now calling for him to retire??

Athlai

Not Terrible
Some fair points here. Cook is quite clearly a spent man and a pretender to the throne. If England want to turn this Ashes around they need to drop Cook, give the captaincy to Broad and bring in some young blood to open.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think more batsmen should retire in their 20s when they have more centuries than anyone else to ever play for their country

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Isn't this the guy who said Cook is a God or some ****? This is a bigger backflip than Christopher Pyne's.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He should ****ing resign and take Root, KP and Prior with him, scorched earth after this horrid performance.

Still not taking this well.....