• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Alastair Cook consider giving up the captaincy or retiring?

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Author obviously confused. Resign & retire? Surely not. They're not playing South Africa, and it's Steve Smith, not Graeme.

91Jmay

International Coach
Nah, he is still a very good batsmen, who will score runs against most attacks in the world in most conditions. He struggles against this Aussie attack because they are really really good, and have executed really well. Despite that he still has like 4 fifties in 8 tests (I think its that I can't be arsed to look it up) so not like he has been completely terrible.

Captain he is pretty much there by default, but he also isn't terrible at it either. Lacks aggression sometimes but does a good enough job.

Riggins

International Captain
Yes. He should consider if he wants to keep doing it, and if he doesn't then he should give it up. Don't really know how you could say anything else.

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
Horrible captaincy by Cook in both innings at the MCG. His handling of Haddin in the first and the fielding horrorshow in the second make it difficult for me to support him as England captain.

I can't see anything changing when Sri Lanka and India tour in the summer. Cook may score a hundred or two due to the lack of disciplined seamers but the whole axis of the team seems like it could crash to the bottom of the test rankings.