• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Alastair Cook consider giving up the captaincy or retiring?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not saying he should lose the job but he may as the press will start a witchhunt soon enough.
You may be right, as there are some spectacularly stupid people who get paid to spout their views in our glorious press (viz the rent-a-quotes predicting successive 5-0's a few months ago). But I hope you're wrong. I'd like to think that most of our cricket writers realise that the problems run far deeper than Cook not being a latter day Mike Brearley in the art of captaincy.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You may be right, as there are some spectacularly stupid people who get paid to spout their views in our glorious press (viz the rent-a-quotes predicting successive 5-0's a few months ago). But I hope you're wrong. I'd like to think that most of our cricket writers realise that the problems run far deeper than Cook not being a latter day Mike Brearley in the art of captaincy.
He's batting like Brearley ATM :ph34r:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Pretty much all English captains have been ****. There'd be no one who could do any better than Cook

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Genuinely can't believe this is being seriously debated. Its ludicrous (i.e. ludacris)

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's prevalent on twitter as well. And I've even seen a suggestion that Broad takes the captaincy

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Brutal. Hate such knee-jerk reactions. He and the team are not doing well, and a lot of them are playing spineless weak cricket. But fmd you don't remove him as captain already.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's the culture across sport as a whole. Footy managers oversee a run of one win in six and there are mass demonstrations.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If Cook doesn't want to be captain or doesn't want to play cricket anymore then he should consider giving it up. Otherwise, no.

It's not his responsibility to decide if he's good enough for the captaincy, or his spot in the side (lol); a group of blokes are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars every year for that. He just needs to decide whether he wants to be considered for captaincy, and for team selection.

wiff

First Class Debutant
You don't want a captain like Bell, he's too meek and mild. You want someone that can give stirring speeches. And that man is Kevin Pietersen. He's the man that can bring the team together and win back the ashes, but it's got to be done for Perth. Get rid of the big doe-eyed Cook, get rid of him immediately, pack his bags and send him home. :laugh:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well, Prior's the VC, but Matt seems one of nature's born sidekicks (no slight intended, cricket is full of quality players who didn't have what it took to be captain, for whatever reason) & captaining from behind the pegs is always a big ask (Dhoni's success notwithstanding), as wiff suggests Bell doesn't strike one as a born leader either, we've been there and done that with KP, so Broad seems the obvious next man to step up.

Already the T20 skip, after all. Whatever else he's been accused of being shy and retiring isn't one of them. Has more of a hint of the devil about him than the incumbent, who still resembles the chorister he once was.

wiff

First Class Debutant
Yeah I was thinking the worse one for group harmony would be KP, that is why it would be funny to pick him. MP nope for reasons outlined above. Broad? He stands up for himself that's good. I didn't like him at first at all, but he's starting to get more likeable in a funny sort of way. I like the way he has handled the Oz crowd. He's bowling hasn't let him down. Batting, well he's a hit and miss type player batting lower down so you expect those sort of innings from him. He's got a nice smile. You know what, I do like him now. But still mad to drop Cook at this point.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I like how Broad plays his cricket. If he was in my team he would have copped a massive spray for that last dismissal though. And getting bowled around his legs.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I like how Broad plays his cricket. If he was in my team he would have copped a massive spray for that last dismissal though.
Pretty much identical to the captain's, wasn't it?

Shyte for a #8, yes, but it's really passing the pearl handled revolver time when it's an opener (and skipper to boot).