• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trott leaves tour

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
They might have sensed that mentally he was a bit out of it, but I'm sure that they wouldn't have thought 'this guy has a mental illness, so let's target that.'
Isn't all sledging designed to induce or exploit any 'weaknesses' in the other person's mental state though? Whether he had a recognized condition or not, that's what players are hoping for when they sledge right? That he loses his concentration because he is unable to cope with what is being said on the field?

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Isn't all sledging designed to induce or exploit any 'weaknesses' in the other person's mental state though? Whether he had a recognized condition or not, that's what players are hoping for when they sledge right? That he loses his concentration because he is unable to cope with what is being said on the field?
There's a big difference between mental weakness and mental illness though.

Riggins

International Captain
I don't see a whole lot of difference between criticising a player who has a mental problem to a physical injury.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Noone who's not mentally ill will fail to cope with anything said on a cricket field. As demanding of a situation as cricket can be, any well person knows that it's just a game and that those other ****s just want to get you out.

So it's not about causing people to have a mental breakdown.

It's about getting them to question their own game play. Maybe I be trying to drive those tempting out swingers rather than leaving them? Yeah, that'll show them! *knicks through to the keeper* bugger.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I don't see a whole lot of difference between criticising a player who has a mental problem to a physical injury.
I know 2 people who killed themselves owed to depression.

None because of a broken finger, or pulled hamstring.

Will that do?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Does being confirmed as having a mental illness make one immune from being sledged on the cricket field in the future?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
There's a big difference between mental weakness and mental illness though.
Yea? What's that?

Look up the criteria for GAD and other anxiety/stress related diseases. They are severely under diagnosed and many more people qualify than you think. To say you will exploit someone's mental weakness but not illness is a pretty weak and completely arbitrary distinction. A prolonged period of stress can certainly induce a mental illness.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
People also die from physical injury.
Not the kind you carry onto a cricket field.

If you're stood at the crease, you are not suffering at that moment from a mortal injury.

But you could be weighing up whether to blow your own head off when you get home.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
And anyone taking piss out of illness in future is a bit off. Many other ways to skin a cat by sledging without going into that side of things.
We all know there is a line to be drawn somewhere.

You can't just say what you want. No-one would have commented on McGrath's wife dying had he been playing, because that would be obscene.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I hope you use that opportunity well..

If you are going to play the school bully then you can't play the nice guy when things go wrong..

Vaughan, despite being a fantastic player and captain, seems like less of a likeable guy now he is in the media.. Sort of the opposite of how I view Glenn McGrath
I don't think Vaughan has ever been especially likeable to be honest. He's always struck me as being an extremely smug, self-satisfying and contrived individual. This is certainly perhaps more noticeable now that he's prominent in the media. I really can't stand him to be honest.

McGrath on the other hand, I have never found to be particularly objectionable. Though he's certainly now at his most likeable.

the big bambino

International Captain
If David Warner does the classy thing and apologises then I will not only also apologize to all the Australian fans but I will also donate $200 to the Cancer society.
Whether Warner apologises or not has nothing to do with his nationality. You should apologise for stereotyping a whole nation and make your donation any way.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Feel for Trott - he's a class player and his display at the 'Gabba was, until this news broke, utterly inexplicable - perhaps this shows that we really do expect too much of the game's best and perhaps something similar explains some of the dire performances Johnson has put in in the past. Anyway time for him to be left to get on with it and to start sorting himself out - for mine I'd like to see Compton called up

Riggins

International Captain
Not the kind you carry onto a cricket field.

If you're stood at the crease, you are not suffering at that moment from a mortal injury.

But you could be weighing up whether to blow your own head off when you get home.
Not true.

But I'm not saying go ahead and abuse him, I'm saying people shouldn't get offended when people criticise a mental problem and then on the other hand go off because someone has a physical problem.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
We all know there is a line to be drawn somewhere.

You can't just say what you want. No-one would have commented on McGrath's wife dying had he been playing, because that would be obscene.
People did make comments about her when she was seriously ill, however. So it might not be much of a stretch to suggest that to some particularly ill-advised individuals, her death may not have been off limits either.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I find it unseemly that people will engage in all sorts of verbal abuse and use terms like "mentally weak" and then turn around and say well "I hope you get better from this problem you have." It's a problem you yourself are trying to uncover. When people say a person is mentally "weak" they mean he can't cope with stress or anxiety and that we should exploit that in the future. That's what you're doing.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
People did make comments about her when she was seriously ill, however. So it might not be much of a stretch to suggest that to some particularly ill-advised individuals, her death may not have been off limits either.
Well that would have been way off limits.