• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trott leaves tour

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I was only pointing out that Trott has had the condition since before his Test debut, something which Flower mentioned yesterday seems to have gone relatively un-noticed here.
I don't think anyone is saying Warner (and to be fair, Warner is being targeted but most international players say stuff like this) necessarily caused it. But I was pointing out that in life there is no easy way to compartmentalize these things, and banter/sledging/verbal abuse or whatever you want to call it can surely exacerbate an underlying illness. And I'm not even saying that what happened this Test had anything to do with Trott going home - we don't know what was going on in his personal life. Maybe it was something else (or a combination of things) that caused this particular event. We don't know, and we shouldn't - that's a private matter for him.

Now you can do with that information what you wish, but I was just put off by people acting like they care so much now that he has a recognized condition when one of the goals of sledging in the first place is to put a player under more stress than he can cope with. You can talk all you want about intentions, but the point of what people say out on the field is to put players out of their comfort zone. Now, you can think that this is a legitimate thing to do in professional sport - many people hold that view. And maybe they are right to hold that view. I wasn't arguing about that. I was just saying that I wish people were more honest about their intentions when they sledge or participate in verbal abuse of a player.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Ok. For a bloke that's had to be directed to make amends in the past that's pretty good. Good on him as you say. Come to think of it he won the English over with his response to the ragging he rec'd from their crowds for bopping Root. Yeah there's more to him.
He hasn't won over anyone I've spoken to.. It's the equivalent of how Broad goes down in Aus.. I don't think he will be popular if he gets a county contract at any stage of his life

To be fair to the English fans, I think they are spot on.. If you hit an opposition player and then trash talk a player who has made an infinitely more successful and long term career out of test cricket, then yeah, you are a **** and deserve to get treated like one.. Can't he just keep quiet and be grateful his career is back on track? This isn't WWE

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I will say, I disagree with TNT in the fact that there's definitely an unspoken rule amongst pros not to question each other's skills in the media, but everything TNT is saying has credence. Actually one of the more well pieced together arguments.
I really don't get this rule or where it came from.

Compare cricket to golf - I don't think anyone could dispute that the general standard of behavior is better "on the field" in the latter yet players have absolutely no hesitation in questioning the ability of their fellow pros via the media or whatever other avenue they choose

Furthermore, no-one has a problem with it

It's almost as if golf is the bizarro version of cricket

TNT

Banned
England should learn a bit from the way people have reacted to Trott. The disgusting way the public in England treated Johnson compared to the compassion showed by the rest of the cricket public should make them feel ashamed.

This is what the England supporters sang when Johnson played in England.

His mother hates his missus; His missus hates his mother; They all hate each other; The Johnson family; Du du du du

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
England should learn a bit from the way people have reacted to Trott. The disgusting way the public in England treated Johnson compared to the compassion showed by the rest of the cricket public should make them feel ashamed.

This is what the England supporters sang when Johnson played in England.

His mother hates his missus; His missus hates his mother; They all hate each other; The Johnson family; Du du du du
I think for people that find the sledging from the crowd too much to handle they should just come to the match at the lunch break and watch the kiddies play and leave when the men come back from the bar to watch the men out on the field. I would be willing to give my seat to some poor fragile soul during the lunch break so they can watch the kiddies.

wiff

First Class Debutant
I think for people that find the sledging from the crowd too much to handle they should just come to the match at the lunch break and watch the kiddies play and leave when the men come back from the bar to watch the men out on the field. I would be willing to give my seat to some poor fragile soul during the lunch break so they can watch the kiddies.
Macho Macho man! Gee that sounds pretty macho, I guess it's a man's world.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Macho Macho man! Gee that sounds pretty macho, I guess it's a man's world.
He was quoting a previous TNT post mate........as a very good example of why TNT spouts a lot of ****.

Top work too zaremba.

mullarkey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Warner said no such thing

Papers like the Daily Mail took his words and re-arranged them in a way that was more headline worthy

Comments by Vaughan ("Jonathan Trott’s second innings at the Gabba was among the worst I have seen from an England No 3") and Boycott ("Trott's innings: what can I say that is printable?") were far more personal
Iistened to the first session of each of the four days of the test before I had to retire. (I don't have sky or anything purely on a matter of principle). When Australia won the toss and batted master expert Boycott was telling us, before the first ball was even bowled, that Australia should be 280-300 for 3 or 4 and that he would have a beano on that wicket. When England got on top he said that Aust. had shot themselves in the foot by going public with their strategy etc. He got it all wrong and his smug all almighty opinions would make us wonder why we should even bother playing the test in the first place after all he can tell us before the first ball has been bowled exactly how this match will end. The first test i ever went to was England v India at OT in 1974, Boycott played but it was his last test for three years. In
regards to his comment about Trott, the words tea pot, kettle and black spring to mind.