• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Was Australia's Sledging Too Much?

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I'm uncertain if there's a thread to discuss this, so please can some moderator subsume this into another discussion if I'm repeating something.

I love intimidating cricket. What I loved about Mitchell Johnson's bowling in this Test was that it was intimidating. England needed to send a message to him, try and dominate him, to break his spell over the Test. KP got himself out trying to dominate Johnson. It was great cricket to watch.

If we were just assessing Johnson's bowling, he's get all praise from me.

Two incidents in particular concerned me, however.

The first was Mitchell Johnson mocking Joe Root. On several occasions Johnson was throwing banter towards Root, and in my mind he didn't cross the line. Root, to his credit, kept on smiling, which is a great way to respond.

But then Johnson bowled one that went past his nose, he walked down the pitch, and mocked his smile by getting close and putting an angry smile on his face.

The second incident involved Michael Clarke saying to... I forget who actually... that he would get a [insert word] broken arm from Johnson's bowling.

Mitchell Johnson had a massive Test. His bowling was aggressive. Fast bowlers *should* be intimidating. Someone made a fair comparison with Johnson's bowling to Lille and Thommo's. But the threats and the mocking, to me, has gone too far.

I think Australia has gone way too far personally. Now we have Warner saying that Trott was afraid of Johnson's pace. Is there going to be off-field intimidation as well?

I really hope this tour isn't dominated by sledging and we don't have a repeat of that nasty Australia/India series where sledging got so out of hand that there were accusations of Indians (Singh) responding with racism.

That was a great performance by Australia, and in particular a great performance by Johnson... but Australia's going too far with the threats and the mocking.

91Jmay

International Coach
They didn't go too far, but Michael Clarke again revealed what a wet **** he is. 'My friend is going to break your arm'. Cringe.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I'm broadly speaking from the Jardine school of thought when it comes to the Ashes.

So in that sense, I'm glad it's got a bit nasty. All the forced smiles and talk of "mutual respect" is just not on.

So well done to Australia for A. Winning the match by a damn sight, and B. Upping the stakes, confrontation-wise

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They didn't go too far, but Michael Clarke again revealed what a wet **** he is. 'My friend is going to break your arm'. Cringe.
Perfect sledging, really getting into the batsmen's head tbh

Agree that he's a 'wet ****' (not sure what that is but it sounds offensive so great) though.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It is certainly better than what normaly passes as wit when it comes to these things. Sledging really is nothing clever so you may as wel go for threats of violence.

Spark

Global Moderator
Finding it slightly difficult to take the OP seriously tbh. "Mocking" is going too far? Seriously? The guy's bowling a piece of leather at 145kmh and trying to knock your head off, what do you expect him to do?

EDIT: Clarke's line is also setting a record for most rapidly misquoted sledge, btw

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
All I know is that Jimmy must really say **** that pisses off the Aussies, because I think they went at him more than they would have most tailenders when the opposition are 9 down and the match is pretty much won.

But this is nothing knew really, Australian teams are generally aggressive. The Siddle behaviour too we have seen before post-match as well. All part of the game really. Some people can hate it others love it.

But lets not pretend that the English don't sledge extremely hard either.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Also so many players, including England players. have done worse than what Mitch Johnson did, so no idea why he has even been brought into this.

Spark

Global Moderator
IIRC Anderson gave Watson a fair send-off in the second innings. There's no paragons of virtue here.

Son Of Coco

The mocking of Root was funny, nothing overly aggressive in it at all (in fact, I wouldn't even call it 'mocking'...Johnson just got sick of him smiling at him). I'm assuming Anderson copped it because he doesn't mind giving it. And then he copped it more because he was having a whinge about someone saying bad words to him.

The only thing I thought might be a bit over the top was Siddle at the end, but if it was to Anderson then **** him.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anderson will be happy enough to give it back if and when the pendulum swings his way. No issue.

The Warner comments were a bit stupid but again I'm not too fussed.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I'm broadly speaking from the Jardine school of thought when it comes to the Ashes.

So in that sense, I'm glad it's got a bit nasty. All the forced smiles and talk of "mutual respect" is just not on.

So well done to Australia for A. Winning the match by a damn sight, and B. Upping the stakes, confrontation-wise
Lehman bringing the 90s attitude back. Pretty ****ing good. But Twatto is a natural ****. Can't wait to see his ****iness go supersaiyan.

Daemon

Watson isn't scary aggressive, his is a stupid boyish kind of aggression that you see in school cricket.

Johnson is ****ing intimidating, definitely the scariest in the current team. Even when he's bowling all over the place I don't think people really want to be facing him in Tests.

social

Jimmeh has been sledging for years so for him to complain to the umpires was absolutely pathetic in my book

Clarke actually went up in my eyes because he stepped in on behalf of his players

Long may it continue

Spark

Global Moderator
Watson isn't scary aggressive, his is a stupid boyish kind of aggression that you see in school cricket.

Johnson is ****ing intimidating, definitely the scariest in the current team. Even when he's bowling all over the place I don't think people really want to be facing him in Tests.
This probably makes it even worse tbh. You have no clue where it's going to be and you're going to have no time at all to see it. This article by Eddie Cowan does a really good job of describing it, IMO.

social

Anderson will be happy enough to give it back if and when the pendulum swings his way. No issue.

The Warner comments were a bit stupid but again I'm not too fussed.
Mark Taylor was asked today what he thought of Warner's comments and he replied that it wasn't ideal and those things should only be said when the series is over.

However, if he gets 100 every match, then he can say what he likes, when he likes

flibbertyjibber

Siddle at the end was the only thing to get annoyed about, the rest of it is given and dished out in equal measure by both sides but swearing like a complete prat at someone after you have won the match is a bit strange. Then again he is a crim.