Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Was Australia's Sledging Too Much?

Was Australia's Sledging Too Much?

I'm uncertain if there's a thread to discuss this, so please can some moderator subsume this into another discussion if I'm repeating something.

I love intimidating cricket. What I loved about Mitchell Johnson's bowling in this Test was that it was intimidating. England needed to send a message to him, try and dominate him, to break his spell over the Test. KP got himself out trying to dominate Johnson. It was great cricket to watch.

If we were just assessing Johnson's bowling, he's get all praise from me.

Two incidents in particular concerned me, however.

The first was Mitchell Johnson mocking Joe Root. On several occasions Johnson was throwing banter towards Root, and in my mind he didn't cross the line. Root, to his credit, kept on smiling, which is a great way to respond.

But then Johnson bowled one that went past his nose, he walked down the pitch, and mocked his smile by getting close and putting an angry smile on his face.

The second incident involved Michael Clarke saying to... I forget who actually... that he would get a [insert word] broken arm from Johnson's bowling.

Mitchell Johnson had a massive Test. His bowling was aggressive. Fast bowlers *should* be intimidating. Someone made a fair comparison with Johnson's bowling to Lille and Thommo's. But the threats and the mocking, to me, has gone too far.

I think Australia has gone way too far personally. Now we have Warner saying that Trott was afraid of Johnson's pace. Is there going to be off-field intimidation as well?

I really hope this tour isn't dominated by sledging and we don't have a repeat of that nasty Australia/India series where sledging got so out of hand that there were accusations of Indians (Singh) responding with racism.

That was a great performance by Australia, and in particular a great performance by Johnson... but Australia's going too far with the threats and the mocking.

International Debutant
    They didn't go too far, but Michael Clarke again revealed what a wet **** he is. 'My friend is going to break your arm'. Cringe.
    Shri and sledger like this.

get ready for a ****ing broken arm
    Shri likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

I'm broadly speaking from the Jardine school of thought when it comes to the Ashes.

So in that sense, I'm glad it's got a bit nasty. All the forced smiles and talk of "mutual respect" is just not on.

So well done to Australia for A. Winning the match by a damn sight, and B. Upping the stakes, confrontation-wise
    JontyPanesar likes this.
    World XI Since 1990 -

1. Gooch 2. Dravid 3. Ponting 4. Tendulkar 5. Lara 6. Kallis 7. Gilchrist 8. Akram 9. Warne 10. Ambrose 11. McGrath

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    They didn't go too far, but Michael Clarke again revealed what a wet **** he is. 'My friend is going to break your arm'. Cringe.
    Perfect sledging, really getting into the batsmen's head tbh

Agree that he's a 'wet ****' (not sure what that is but it sounds offensive so great) though.
    hendrix likes this.

It is certainly better than what normaly passes as wit when it comes to these things. Sledging really is nothing clever so you may as wel go for threats of violence.

Finding it slightly difficult to take the OP seriously tbh. "Mocking" is going too far? Seriously? The guy's bowling a piece of leather at 145kmh and trying to knock your head off, what do you expect him to do?

EDIT: Clarke's line is also setting a record for most rapidly misquoted sledge, btw
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

All I know is that Jimmy must really say **** that pisses off the Aussies, because I think they went at him more than they would have most tailenders when the opposition are 9 down and the match is pretty much won.

But this is nothing knew really, Australian teams are generally aggressive. The Siddle behaviour too we have seen before post-match as well. All part of the game really. Some people can hate it others love it.

But lets not pretend that the English don't sledge extremely hard either.

Also so many players, including England players. have done worse than what Mitch Johnson did, so no idea why he has even been brought into this.

IIRC Anderson gave Watson a fair send-off in the second innings. There's no paragons of virtue here.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    And Broad's send off to Warner, having scored a measly 120 odd.
    JontyPanesar likes this.
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    The mocking of Root was funny, nothing overly aggressive in it at all (in fact, I wouldn't even call it 'mocking'...Johnson just got sick of him smiling at him). I'm assuming Anderson copped it because he doesn't mind giving it. And then he copped it more because he was having a whinge about someone saying bad words to him.

The only thing I thought might be a bit over the top was Siddle at the end, but if it was to Anderson then **** him.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 24-11-2013 at 05:54 AM.
    Shri and hendrix like this.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Anderson will be happy enough to give it back if and when the pendulum swings his way. No issue.

The Warner comments were a bit stupid but again I'm not too fussed.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    No issue whatsoever.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromLancs View Post
    I'm broadly speaking from the Jardine school of thought when it comes to the Ashes.

So in that sense, I'm glad it's got a bit nasty. All the forced smiles and talk of "mutual respect" is just not on.

So well done to Australia for A. Winning the match by a damn sight, and B. Upping the stakes, confrontation-wise
    Lehman bringing the 90s attitude back. Pretty ****ing good. But Twatto is a natural ****. Can't wait to see his ****iness go supersaiyan.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information