• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Was Australia's Sledging Too Much?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Think it'd be pretty boring, honestly. Transcript of the first conversation:

"You're a ****"
"No, you're a ****"
"Well you're a fat ****."
"You can't ****ing bat"
"Well you can't ****ing bowl"
"Yeah? Well you're ugly."
"Your girlfriend's ugly."

Repeat x 6 hours.
Just like posting in a thread with benchmark00 then.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
CA loves selling their own down the river, don't they? I loved Australia's attitude in this game and long may it continue. Now's the time when they need to get behind the team, after the psychological battering they've subjected England to; following the Trott incident, I really don't see England coming back into this series unless Australia are forced to clamp down and made to feel guilty as was the case after Sydney '08.

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
I'd just like to reiterate that in no other sport is this an issue. We're making a mountain out of a molehill here, regardless of what hypothetical or tangible effect Warner's words had on Trott. I think we can expect athletes to be immune to verbal insults. Hopefully we expect as much of ourselves.

U19 12th Man
Since Cricket Australia cowered under the pressure from India and told them to calm down they have played like fluffy teddy bears. That has never been how Australia plays its cricket. Glad to see their mean streak again tbh.

If anything Darren Lehmann will tell them to ramp up the aggression even further in Adelaide.

Last edited:

Bushranger

School Boy/Girl Captain
Me personally its one of things that makes cricket entertaining. We all grew up watching guys like Ambrose, Garner, McGrath, Donald etc etc and the list goes on but when did Cricket become golf.
Nice stroke old chap. Thanks, what club , It was a 7 Iron.
Stuff that its a mans game with fired up Fast Bowlers and Big Balled Batsmen.

I reckon I here this every year with someone different in Grade cricket from Gully were I field mostly.
Hey mate you going to use that piece of wood as I need wood for my pile for next Winter.
**** Off is the response
Then it kicks off more jibs and jabs until he loses his wicket and the bowler responds with No **** Off.

Oldie and I here something like that every year.
Some Great some **** but the swearing never stops.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Having a hit at the Aus tomorrow morning from 715 actually, and can confirm me, personally, myself and my three playing partners are in fact all red blooded blokes who love some redundant words in our usage. And our golf.

I find it pretty hard to believe anyone would respond to that level of brain dead **** you posted, Bushranger. Does that get under someone's skin? Really? I find it hard to believe anyone could make grade if that's the best they could come up with, though some of the **** that gets thrown around is terrible, I grant you.

Then again, Victoria.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
When I play in fourth grade the old ****s are always arking up at me when I bat, I find it more funny than irritating or distracting, usually it's also less serious in lower grades too, it's all a bit of fun. Last week some fat **** wk told me he thought my shoes were too big for me so I told him his mouth was too big for him and the slips were pissing themselves, sledging should just be a bit of fun and if the fielding side try to take it further then just ignore them ffs

U19 12th Man
Watching on the last day I was getting pretty fired up at home watching all the Aussie carry on.........but it's the Ashes FFS, isn't that what it is all about?? I want to get fired up watching it, I want to think the Aussies are the biggest pack of ****s to ever take the field........I want the contest!!

Last time I do recall the Aussies getting this "nasty" was Perth 2010........if that's what they need to do to lift to that level then someone should be asking the question why they've been such *****s since then.

And I hope England stand up and fight fire with fire. Ashes cricket.......no quarter given and none asked for.

But, I want it all to stay on the field.......Warners press conference, poor form IMO.

Oh, and turn those stump mikes down.........**** for Clarke that the whole world has heard what he had to say.
Cricket Australia issued a directive to all players to tone it down after Indiagate. They weren't the same since. They didn't get "nasty" in Perth, they just played a bit better. This Gabba test is the first time they've played with such aggression in about 5 years. Lehmann's brand I guess. The Australian brand.

Also England doesn't have it in them to fight fire with fire. Different breed. Adelaide is crucial.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Most of the sledging thrown around grade cricket is woeful. It's basically a poor cousin of what everyone thinks test cricketers say, said by blokes who can't come up with anything themselves. Occasionally, however, somebody does come out with something entertaining.

If you really want to do some sledging of a weekend, buy the local paper and find out what some of your opponents have said and then use it against them. If you're going to sledge, you need to be well read.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket Australia issued a directive to all players to tone it down after Indiagate. They weren't the same since. They didn't get "nasty" in Perth, they just played a bit better. This Gabba test is the first time they've played with such aggression in about 5 years. Lehmann's brand I guess. The Australian brand.

Also England doesn't have it in them to fight fire with fire. Different breed. Adelaide is crucial.
Actually I think they did, it was during that test that Matt Prior had to suggest to Peter Siddle that they continue their discussion in the carpark after the game and also the test where poor old Mitch tried his failed sledge on Anderson. I remember distinctly everyone talking about the return of the Aussie mongrel.

Your last sentence.......not sure what to make of that??? Are we not as tough as them?? Alastair Cook can threaten to break someone's arm just as well as Michael Clarke can.

Son Of Coco

Your last sentence.......not sure what to make of that??? Are we not as tough as them?? Alastair Cook can threaten to break someone's arm just as well as Michael Clarke can.
He can, but his accent would make it sound like it was a pick up line.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
He can, but his accent would make it sound like it was a pick up line.
LOL, as I posting that I was thinking Ali Cook, threatening to break someone's arm?? Nah.....just doesn't work. Then I thought........if Clarke can do it then no reason Cook can't. Clarke is hardly overflowing with machoism is he.

Son Of Coco

LOL, as I posting that I was thinking Ali Cook, threatening to break someone's arm?? Nah.....just doesn't work. Then I thought........if Clarke can do it then no reason Cook can't. Clarke is hardly overflowing with machoism is he.
I was going to say that he is the thinking woman's manly man...then I remembered he'd dated Lara Bingle.

Spark

Global Moderator
Clarke has a temper. Cook doesn't, or at least he doesn't ever show it (which is probably a good thing given how he plays the game tbf)

Son Of Coco

Clarke has a temper. Cook doesn't, or at least he doesn't ever show it (which is probably a good thing given how he plays the game tbf)
Yeah Clarke gets the ****s at times, whereas Cook just looks like he's somewhat miffed when he's angry. Like he's gotten home from the shops and realised he was shortchanged.