• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Was Australia's Sledging Too Much?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Probably, but a 20% match fee fine is hardly going to put anyone off is it?

Why doesn't Tremlett just walk up to Warner next test and say he's gonna put him in hospital but not by using the ball?
Because Clarke would've heard it all before just like Jimmy

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Not nice to see, but no problem with it as long as they can take it back.. We say some pretty nasty things depending on the topics of the day to the Aussie players when they stand at fine leg in Joburg, and they are immaculate and never lose their composure.. I guess with the exception of perhaps Rugby Union, it's how professional sport works now.. If you are paid handsomely to play the game you love, you're going to cop some abuse from foreign players or crowd and you have to learn how to deal with it, as well as the rigours of playing the game itself
How many sports do you really reckon there are where this sort of playground abuse from your opponent(s) is the norm?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well Football/Soccer in Europe for a start is just the lowest in that regard. Some shocking stuff is completely normal in the stands, but you probably knew that anyway.... I've seen some pretty unsavoury stuff becoming the norm in field hockey, look at ice hockey too.. Baseball regularly has "bench clearing incidents", so often so that they have given them a name.. In Water Polo opponents file their toenails sharp for underwater confrontation.. Southern Hemisphere rugby is far worse than northern hemisphere rugby when it comes to fan abuse..

I guess you could include Tennis and Golf into sports that have still retained an element of calm and respect with players and fans alike, as well as smaller individual games like squash

Last edited:

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
I always have a hard time understanding Australians, when they're jabbering away in their uncouth pidgin. Were England's batsmen even wise to these threats of bodily harm?

Langeveldt

Soutie
I always have a hard time understanding Australians, when they're jabbering away in their uncouth pidgin. Were England's batsmen even wise to these threats of bodily harm?

I imagine the fact that their mouths were open meant that something offensive or wrong or both was being said..

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Well Football/Soccer in Europe for a start is just the lowest in that regard. Some shocking stuff is completely normal in the stands, but you probably knew that anyway.... I've seen some pretty unsavoury stuff becoming the norm in field hockey, look at ice hockey too.. Baseball regularly has "bench clearing incidents", so often so that they have given them a name.. In Water Polo opponents file their toenails sharp for underwater confrontation.. Southern Hemisphere rugby is far worse than northern hemisphere rugby when it comes to fan abuse..

I guess you could include Tennis and Golf into sports that have still retained an element of calm and respect with players and fans alike, as well as smaller individual games like squash
Yeah - it was abuse by players rather than fans I was thinking about. I guess there are good reasons why players wouldn't do it in either code of rugby, self preservation being upmost. Interesting to hear about hockey and baseball tbf. I suppose they don't bother me as I don't follow the games, but it's good to learn something. If only that cricketers aren't quite the only ones inhabiting a coseted world where this kind of behaviour is the norm.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Have the Aussies gone too far in their comments, which we didn't hear, in the context of English sledging them, which we also didn't hear? Hmmm. I know a well-informed debate when I see one.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Sledging is certainly not unknown in tennis but is obviously less prevalent than in cricket

Of the higher profile sports, golfers are amongst the best behaved and the interesting thing about it is that they are largely self-regulated

Flem274*

123/5
Individual and/or non-confrontational sports will always have less verbal. Marathon runners don't have oxygen to waste having a dig at their opponents, and no one on a rowing boat is going to hear you unless you shout.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
How disrespectful! Ashes sledging should stay in the matchday threads.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Is it just me who wants a stump mic channel on Sky's coverage so we can hear all the verbal jostling?

Clarke getting fined is a ****ing nonsense as well, it's clear as day that he was referring to what Anderson was likely to receive from Johnson.

The whole thing's probably unnecessary but it's damn entertaining.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is it just me who wants a stump mic channel on Sky's coverage so we can hear all the verbal jostling?
Think it'd be pretty boring, honestly. Transcript of the first conversation:

"You're a ****"
"No, you're a ****"
"Well you're a fat ****."
"You can't ****ing bat"
"Well you can't ****ing bowl"
"Yeah? Well you're ugly."
"Your girlfriend's ugly."

Repeat x 6 hours.