• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Was Australia's Sledging Too Much?

Spark

Global Moderator
So according to Warne - I know, I know - Clarke's sledge was in response to Anderson saying he wanted to punch Bailey in the face (what that was in response to was left unsaid).

Again, Shane Warne.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tbh, I'm not a fan of all this 'Clarke threatened Anderson with a broken arm' talk. He did no such thing.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Is anyone else lost here? Are we talking about the same 'mantra'? I.e. What happens on the field stays on the field?

That saying relates to people not complaining or talking about anything that occurs on the filed. How you've managed to draw a link I really have no idea.
Ok, put it this way.
The only way Clarke as a public figure gets away with saying "get ready for a broken ****ing arm" without complete public condemnation is by the mantra that things happen on the field and that's where they stay. Most cricket players agree with this idea and won't condemn someone for saying something like that, whereas if he just said it anywhere else in public and was caught on camera it would be condemned. I think we have the same mantra here.

When a company pays his fine for such an indiscretion, what they're effectively saying is that they endorse that type of behaviour - they defend his right to say whatever he wants on the field. Fine. Whatever (still don't think it's a great idea for a company to be associated with swearing and violence, but I can see the appeal).

The problem is at that point for Clarke, he effectively has a become that brand's public advertisement for this type of behaviour. So for him, rather than just having said that stuff on the field, he is now the walking representative of sledging and/or swearing and violent threats in cricket.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Watching on the last day I was getting pretty fired up at home watching all the Aussie carry on.........but it's the Ashes FFS, isn't that what it is all about?? I want to get fired up watching it, I want to think the Aussies are the biggest pack of ****s to ever take the field........I want the contest!!

Last time I do recall the Aussies getting this "nasty" was Perth 2010........if that's what they need to do to lift to that level then someone should be asking the question why they've been such *****s since then.

And I hope England stand up and fight fire with fire. Ashes cricket.......no quarter given and none asked for.

But, I want it all to stay on the field.......Warners press conference, poor form IMO.

Oh, and turn those stump mikes down.........**** for Clarke that the whole world has heard what he had to say.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I honestly don't get what was so bad about what Warner said.
"Trott's scared of Johnson" or some ****.
WTF is wrong with that?

Warner's basically saying that Trott is not playing Johnson particularly well. He just doesn't have the vocabulary to say that.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Ok, put it this way.
The only way Clarke as a public figure gets away with saying "get ready for a broken ****ing arm" without complete public condemnation is by the mantra that things happen on the field and that's where they stay. Most cricket players agree with this idea and won't condemn someone for saying something like that, whereas if he just said it anywhere else in public and was caught on camera it would be condemned. I think we have the same mantra here.

When a company pays his fine for such an indiscretion, what they're effectively saying is that they endorse that type of behaviour - they defend his right to say whatever he wants on the field. Fine. Whatever (still don't think it's a great idea for a company to be associated with swearing and violence, but I can see the appeal).

The problem is at that point for Clarke, he effectively has a become that brand's public advertisement for this type of behaviour. So for him, rather than just having said that stuff on the field, he is now the walking representative of sledging and/or swearing and violent threats in cricket.
I think it was the nature of Clarke's threat.

If a bowler in the heat of the moment says "I'm gonna break your ****ing skull", then I doubt any comeuppance would be forthcoming.

But when a captain goes out of his way to approach a number 11 bat and tell him his mate his gonna break one of his limbs; well rightly or wrongly that's seen as unsporting.

I don't have too much of an issue with it myself.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Not nice to see, but no problem with it as long as they can take it back.. We say some pretty nasty things depending on the topics of the day to the Aussie players when they stand at fine leg in Joburg, and they are immaculate and never lose their composure.. I guess with the exception of perhaps Rugby Union, it's how professional sport works now.. If you are paid handsomely to play the game you love, you're going to cop some abuse from foreign players or crowd and you have to learn how to deal with it, as well as the rigours of playing the game itself

Uppercut

Yeah I like it. I mean, they come across as dicks, but that's a good thing. Makes the cricket more competitive.

Riggins

International Captain
This is a very extreme hinderance to my ideal scenario of watching the match with only the stump mic audio and no commentators.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
In the grand scheme of things, if this was going too far, then so is the vast majority of sledging that's been done.

flibbertyjibber

In the grand scheme of things, if this was going too far, then so is the vast majority of sledging that's been done.
Probably, but a 20% match fee fine is hardly going to put anyone off is it?

Why doesn't Tremlett just walk up to Warner next test and say he's gonna put him in hospital but not by using the ball?