• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Was Australia's Sledging Too Much?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
This would be such a good opportunity for a company (most likely betting company or VB) to come out and say they'll pay the fine on behalf of Clarke. Would be such good free publicity.
uggggh. I suppose it probably would work for a beer or betting company, but it would fly in the face of the "leave it on the field" mantra.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
And tbf that's exactly what Cook was saying when interviewed post-match. His one exception was regarding the unprofessionalism of Warner's off-the-pitch comments about Trott, but we're probably going to hear a lot more of that sort of thing. I've always liked the old rugby adage of showing respect to your opponents even if you've just put 100 points against them, but maybe that's just not the way nowadays. Shame really. The other point that Cook made, quite reasonably, was that the back-to-back series was always going to contribute to a certain amount of needle.
Think it is for many, just not Warner.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
My interpretation was that the swearing was the issue

Not sure a fine is sufficient personally, I recommend a four Test ban :ph34r:
Still reckon he'd have been done otherwise. Don't think the ICC want threats of broken bones being heard on the stump mic.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
uggggh. I suppose it probably would work for a beer or betting company, but it would fly in the face of the "leave it on the field" mantra.
Genuinely can't understand what you're trying to say here.

How would a company paying a fine fly in the face of 'leave it on the field' ?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This would be such a good opportunity for a company (most likely betting company or VB) to come out and say they'll pay the fine on behalf of Clarke. Would be such good free publicity.
Courier Mail would probably be a better bet given their campaign during the Test.

wiff

First Class Debutant
I don't think any company would want to be associated with the f word. (yeah I'm not sure about the courier mail)

The icc will get rich if they fine everyone for saying f@$%!

Maybe he is not getting fined for swearing, but sledging with malicious intent?

But your honour, he was being a good sport, informing Anderson where the next ball would be delivered. If only he could extend the courtesy to all English batsmen.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I'm confident its the actual threat of a broken arm, and not the swearing (though that doesn't help) which has caused the ICC to intervene, rightly or wrongly.

Spikey

Yeah I'm confident its the actual threat of a broken arm, and not the swearing (though that doesn't help) which has caused the ICC to intervene, rightly or wrongly.
i just got here. does anyone think otherwise? if you do you are stupid and i will ****ing break your hands

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Genuinely can't understand what you're trying to say here.

How would a company paying a fine fly in the face of 'leave it on the field' ?
Because they'd be extending the publicity of an on-field sledge as part of their off-field campaign. Whether or not you agree with the concept of sledging, it's a controversial topic and them paying his fine would add to the controversy. More people talking about it.

At that point it's not longer just an on-field thing that happened. I suppose it's already not just an on-field thing, but Clarke allowing them to pay his fine would add to that.

flibbertyjibber

20% fine is pathetic, either it needs to be 50% or nothing. A small amount like that won't matter to anyone.

Not saying I agree with the fine just it a bit pointless.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
20% fine is pathetic, either it needs to be 50% or nothing. A small amount like that won't matter to anyone.

Not saying I agree with the fine just it a bit pointless.
It's the perfect amount from the administrators' perspective.

1. They can't be seen to be condoning swearing etc publicly.

2. They CBF with the idealogical debate that would happen were a bigger fine to be imposed. A large fine and suddenly we might have to say that anyone who swears on the field is fined X amount or something concrete.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Are these fines even followed through on? I can hardly see the money coming out of Clarke's actual wallet. I'm sure they wouldn't be paid or would be paid by someone else.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Myself I feel Australia have gone over the top.

1st there was Warner punching Root. Plus being critical of opposition players which isn't really done in sport.
2nd there was Lehman inciting violence in that radio interview about Broad.
3rd Clarke as captain threatening physical hurt. It wouldn't be so bad but Clarke is captain and as such is the main representative of the country and it's values. Sure that's fine if that's the image you want to portray as distasteful and thugish.

Lehmann and Clarke are the two as coach and captain. Whether they meant it or not they're in the main position from which all the players take their cue and as such the kids and fans watching. Not a great image if you ask me.

But hey they won. I guess you could compare it to the somewhat dour cricket england played last summer.
Would never have picked this response from you to be honest.

benchmark00

Because they'd be extending the publicity of an on-field sledge as part of their off-field campaign. Whether or not you agree with the concept of sledging, it's a controversial topic and them paying his fine would add to the controversy. More people talking about it.

At that point it's not longer just an on-field thing that happened. I suppose it's already not just an on-field thing, but Clarke allowing them to pay his fine would add to that.
Is anyone else lost here? Are we talking about the same 'mantra'? I.e. What happens on the field stays on the field?

That saying relates to people not complaining or talking about anything that occurs on the filed. How you've managed to draw a link I really have no idea.