Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Was Australia's Sledging Too Much?

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Watson isn't scary aggressive, his is a stupid boyish kind of aggression that you see in school cricket.

Johnson is ****ing intimidating, definitely the scariest in the current team. Even when he's bowling all over the place I don't think people really want to be facing him in Tests.

Jimmeh has been sledging for years so for him to complain to the umpires was absolutely pathetic in my book

Clarke actually went up in my eyes because he stepped in on behalf of his players

Long may it continue
    Shri, adub, Nate and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Watson isn't scary aggressive, his is a stupid boyish kind of aggression that you see in school cricket.

Johnson is ****ing intimidating, definitely the scariest in the current team. Even when he's bowling all over the place I don't think people really want to be facing him in Tests.
    This probably makes it even worse tbh. You have no clue where it's going to be and you're going to have no time at all to see it. This article by Eddie Cowan does a really good job of describing it, IMO.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Anderson will be happy enough to give it back if and when the pendulum swings his way. No issue.

The Warner comments were a bit stupid but again I'm not too fussed.
    Mark Taylor was asked today what he thought of Warner's comments and he replied that it wasn't ideal and those things should only be said when the series is over.

However, if he gets 100 every match, then he can say what he likes, when he likes

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Siddle at the end was the only thing to get annoyed about, the rest of it is given and dished out in equal measure by both sides but swearing like a complete prat at someone after you have won the match is a bit strange. Then again he is a crim.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Probably just goes to show that the Australians have been too friendly for their own good in the last couple of series - I don't believe that their sledging affected the England players at all, but it clearly made them a different team, so it would be good if they could shut the **** up and go back to being polite and respectful to their superiors

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    Myself I feel Australia have gone over the top.

1st there was Warner punching Root. Plus being critical of opposition players which isn't really done in sport.
    2nd there was Lehman inciting violence in that radio interview about Broad.
    3rd Clarke as captain threatening physical hurt. It wouldn't be so bad but Clarke is captain and as such is the main representative of the country and it's values. Sure that's fine if that's the image you want to portray as distasteful and thugish.

Lehmann and Clarke are the two as coach and captain. Whether they meant it or not they're in the main position from which all the players take their cue and as such the kids and fans watching. Not a great image if you ask me.

But hey they won. I guess you could compare it to the somewhat dour cricket england played last summer.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    IIRC Anderson gave Watson a fair send-off in the second innings. There's no paragons of virtue here.
    Thought it was Trott that had a few words as Watson walking off and Anderson only stepped in when Watson was giving it out.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    There are some teams that will have a cry when they get sledged, I really hope we don't end up as one of them.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    I love a bit of sledging whether it's watching or playing, it just enhances the contest, especially in an Ashes series. I have no issues with what went on in this Test, but I have a feeling if the shoe was on the other foot there may well be a degree of unhappiness abound. Look at the reaction Broad caused for simply waiting for an umpire's decision!

Some of it obviously looked a little false and forced from some the Aussie players not synonymous with the verbals, but it's obviously a set out plan to unsettle England and you'd be hard pushed to say it hasn't worked, even if it was just used to pump up themselves.
    adub likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    Myself I feel Australia have gone over the top.

1st there was Warner punching Root. Plus being critical of opposition players which isn't really done in sport.
    2nd there was Lehman inciting violence in that radio interview about Broad.
    3rd Clarke as captain threatening physical hurt. It wouldn't be so bad but Clarke is captain and as such is the main representative of the country and it's values. Sure that's fine if that's the image you want to portray as distasteful and thugish.

Lehmann and Clarke are the two as coach and captain. Whether they meant it or not they're in the main position from which all the players take their cue and as such the kids and fans watching. Not a great image if you ask me.

But hey they won. I guess you could compare it to the somewhat dour cricket england played last summer.
    Yup. The fact that they won means pretty much anything will hunky dory here on in or we're sore losers. I dunno if I CBA with the inevitable trashing, but fwiw. There are so many fibs peddled about sledging in cricket that I just wonder where they came from. If this kind of thing is ever challenged, we're told various of combinations of (1) it's always happened (2) it happens in all sports (3) it's some sort of indication that the players are sufficiently committed. All three being complete crap of course, but apparently it's an essential part of the game, so meh. I can live with most of it, if only because I can't hear it from where I'm sat. When it comes to the right up in the batsman's face 'spraying' by some charmless nurk who's feeling brave enough with 10 of his mates against one guy who can't go anywhere anyway, I'd be quite happy to see a change in the rules to allow the batsman to use his bat for a spot of facial and/or dental redistribution on the offender, or even give him a literal spraying if he can summon enough phlegm. But I accept I'm in a minority of one on that count.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    No problems here at all. Anderson is a notorious sledger (I think it's a matter of record that certain Aussies "weren't happy" with what he said in 2010/11) so I think he'd take it on the chin. Or whatever other part of his anatomy isn't protected.

The Aussies scented blood, so it was boot on the throat time; hideous mixed metaphor as that obviously is. Laying down a marker for the series, like Clarke's response to Broad's short stuff second dig and his and Warner's calculated assault on Swann. Some good psychological point scoring.

What is most interesting is how England respond, because we've just ****ing swallowed it so far. Being an English sports fan for the better part of four decades has prepared me for defeat, but defeat without fight is hard to take. A lot of players, Trott and Prior not the least amongst them, owe us a ****ing performance in Adelaide.
    Last edited by BoyBrumby; 24-11-2013 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Missed the "out" from "without"
    grecian, hendrix, adub and 1 others like this.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    Totally agree with Brumby. None of the in-match chatter has gone too far, for me. I certainly don't want to hear any complaints within the England camp, just fight back on the pitch please.

Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    Totally agree with Brumby. None of the in-match chatter has gone too far, for me. I certainly don't want to hear any complaints within the England camp, just fight back on the pitch please.
    And tbf that's exactly what Cook was saying when interviewed post-match. His one exception was regarding the unprofessionalism of Warner's off-the-pitch comments about Trott, but we're probably going to hear a lot more of that sort of thing. I've always liked the old rugby adage of showing respect to your opponents even if you've just put 100 points against them, but maybe that's just not the way nowadays. Shame really. The other point that Cook made, quite reasonably, was that the back-to-back series was always going to contribute to a certain amount of needle.

International Regular
    Yeah, I don't see how England can complain in any way. If Bailey was chatting whilst the bowler was coming in then that is slightly different, but otherwise there is no problem.

Although as I've said earlier Clarke looks like a complete mincer with that chat.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information