• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

Spark

Global Moderator
yeah in the end from an aus point of view we really want 450+. gives us good insurance against 3rd innings stupidity.

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
Can't really see a collapse on this pitch and if Australia collapse then I wouldn't be comfortable with us chasing any more than 150!

Who knows.. there is still 360 overs of Cricket. But I think England's attitude when batting will influence the game. If we potter along at between 2 and 3 an over then the time it takes for us to just get level with Australia means we are into day four.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
To be honest there are very few pitches in the world that 350 isn't a decent score on.
Yeah indeed but I think the point is that Adelaide has been one of those few for as long as we can remember, and it doesn't seem to be this year with the drop in.

It's played exactly as it did for the two Shield games this season so far. Slower with more turn on Days 1 and 2 than the old Adelaide Oval wicket but despite looking like a Day 3 wicket on Day 1 it just hasn't deteriorated at all in the Shield. It's just been a flattish Day 3 wicket for four days.

Obviously we haven't seen what it's like on Day 5 through the Shield this season though so even if it stays true to form then something might happen with it then, but it's a very different Adelaide Oval wicket to what we're used to.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah, I have very little knowledge of Adelaide so you are almost certainly right, just people say all the time (myself included up until recently) that pitches are "450 par" or "400+ minimum" when in reality if you score 375 for example on a "450 par" you are still in the driving seat in the game 99/100.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Johan Botha said the pitches were starting to break up a bit by day 4 a few weeks ago didn't he? I seem to recall him saying a fifth day would probably be enough to get a result

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
It's on the Cricket Australia* website in the article about Rogers on the home page

*CA News**

**CA Digital Media
Ah cheers, no idea why I didn't think to go on the CA site, I even have it bookmarked ffs

what a classic, stupid ****ing journo

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah indeed but I think the point is that Adelaide has been one of those few for as long as we can remember, and it doesn't seem to be this year with the drop in.

It's played exactly as it did for the two Shield games this season so far. Slower with more turn on Days 1 and 2 than the old Adelaide Oval wicket but despite looking like a Day 3 wicket on Day 1 it just hasn't deteriorated at all in the Shield. It's just been a flattish Day 3 wicket for four days.

Obviously we haven't seen what it's like on Day 5 through the Shield this season though so even if it stays true to form then something might happen with it then, but it's a very different Adelaide Oval wicket to what we're used to.
Apparently this deck is significantly drier than the Shield decks, but who knows. I don't really see this deteriorating for a few days, but I do see it slowing down and getting increasingly difficult to score on.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Apparently this deck is significantly drier than the Shield decks, but who knows.
I can't say I spent a tremendous amount of time analysing the moisture content of those pitches over the CA stream, but it played the same today as it did on Day 1 of those two Shield games while I was watching - slow, nothing in it for the seamers, bit of turn. It definitely looks a bit dry so we'll see, but it's played how I expected.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the curator said he took more grass off the pitch to try and ensure a result, was either that or a greentop apparently

91Jmay

International Coach
That was Martin Samuel the fat **** from the Daily Mail who asked Rogers that. What a **** question, as if he is going to have an opinion on that.

Samuel did actually write a fairly decent piece on the whole thing though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm putting all my hope in a KP special to wipe out Spark's theory. Blind, baseless hope, but.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I worry about how we'll play Harris on this deck. Although I could say that about most decks.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm putting all my hope in a KP special to wipe out Spark's theory. Blind, baseless hope, but.
Given his record at the Adelaide Oval he's the one that worries me. If we can get him out cheaply though, then it'll go a long way to us at least not losing.