• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

91Jmay

International Coach
This could go spectacularly badly for England, like Brisbane on steroids - especially if (when) the Aussies go big 1st dig.

I am also not 100% convinced that Stokes is higher than 8 in Test matches currently. I mean is he probably a better bat than Broad, but shouldn't be higher than an 8 in another side.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Bell has the technique and the experience to bat anywhere he's needed, but Root is the domestic and test opener. Either would be a fair enough call imo. Would probably go for Root since Bell has always been a beast at five or six and Root has already been asked to move up before anyway during the last Ashes and scored a ton.

Ten bucks on Ravi.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
They'll presumably have to call another batsman up into the squad. Just hope they bring in Ballance and not Stokes. Only way I'd bring in Stokes is if we go two spinners, and given the nonsensical **** that idea got last time, when we were three to zip and Swann had taken buckets of wickets, imagine the abuse it would get to do in Australia when 1-0 down after Swann got destroyed.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They'll presumably have to call another batsman up into the squad. Just hope they bring in Ballance and not Stokes. Only way I'd bring in Stokes is if we go two spinners, and given the nonsensical **** that idea got last time, when we were three to zip and Swann had taken buckets of wickets, imagine the abuse it would get to do in Australia when 1-0 down after Swann got destroyed.
Yeah there is just no way they should play Stokes, just not ready at all for the test cricket. Maybe batting at 7 against Sri Lanka at home you would give him a go but not now.

It has to be Ballance, with Root or Bell going up the order. He had a poor time the warm up games but he has a good first class season behind him, he has been picked as the reserve batsman, they have to trust they made the right selection.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think they probably picked him to bat six tbh, just changed their minds when he flopped in the warm ups and Carberry got runs.

Pretty worrying though. Likely going to have a debutant at six who's yet to make runs on the tour, an out of form wicketkeeper and a tail that doesn't fancy the short stuff.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No doubt, we just have to get top order runs. Cook needs to go and make 200 or something. Would back the top 5 to make enough runs at Adelaide, rest of the tour is another matter.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Can't be Stokes with Prior so out of nick, surely. Two spinners could be tempting in Adelaide given how much the spinners have dominated there in Shield cricket since it became a drop in wicket I suppose but it's unlikely IMO which means it really has to be a batsman.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Prior not scoring any runs for ages limits the chances of playing Stokes.(pews just beat me to the punch) Stokes only chance is probably at 8 as replacement for Tremlett which at least would extend the batting and although he's not going to contain the australian batting he'd be more of a threat. The problem with that is that Australia got after Swann last test so the bowling would look potentially very thin and possible to get after.

Ballance is a rock tho (or at least I hope he will be) so I definitely go with him at 6. Dunno who I put at 3 tho or who I'd go for as the third seamer.

Woodster

International Captain
Big blow losing Trott for the rest of the series, assuming he would have got over the short ball issues, but obviously there are far more important things for Trott to overcome. For me Ian Bell has to move up to number three, he has looked comfortable against Johnson and the short ball, looks in good nick and with it being such a pivotal position we do need a man with his experience to step up. As for the replacement for Trott, I guess any of the three potential replacements look a gamble right now, Ballance has struggled on the tour and doesn't he have a supposed weakness against the short ball ? That's an area Bairstow has worked on since being troubled by Kemar roach and the WI attack, and I agree that Prior's lack of runs may stop Stokes coming into serious recognition. In terms of continuity I guess Bairstow would be the logical one to come in.

The third seamer spot becomes a clearer decision for me if Tim Bresnan is passed as fully fit.He needs to have that bit of nip back in his bowling and his competitive nature will be a very welcome addition in this England side ahead of Tremlett who bowled ok but didn't show enough to retain his position for me.

Tangles

You need the most solid bat you can muster at 3 so KP isn't exposed early. Compton at 3 makes sense but he isn't in the squad. If its Ballance AO is a better debut than Perth.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bairstow is touring as reserve wicket-keeper.

Ballance is definitely ahead of him as reserve batsman, and arguably Stokes is ahead as well.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Not that Bairstow is a veteran but the fact that he is played in a handful of tests might go in his favour. England is already playing Carberry who doesnt have much international experience

Tangles

Him batting like an uncoordinated muppet should count against him. Haven't seen Ballance but Bairstow looked very ordinary.

Woodster

International Captain
Bairstow is touring as reserve wicket-keeper.

Ballance is definitely ahead of him as reserve batsman, and arguably Stokes is ahead as well.
Not entirely sure I'd agree that Bairstow is touring solely as back-up keeper, therefore suggesting he'll only get a go should Prior miss out. I think Bairstow may find himself ahead of the other two to fill Trott's position based on that bit more experience and that the other two didn't make much of a case for their inclusion in the warm-up games. Of course there's one more chance to impress in a tour game before we get to Adelaide so could be interesting to see who gets the nod in that game as I'd have thought most of the main batsmen will be in a need of more time in the middle at Alice Springs.