• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

the big bambino

International Captain
Adelaide has actually produced a high % of results over the last few decades so its rep as a road is overstated. England to drop Trott to 5 as his last chance in tests. Bell to 3. Agree that Eng need a pace boost. Anderson and Broad are still bowling at effective speeds. The Tremlett gamble has failed. His 33 runs per wkt in the 2013 season was an accurate predictor as to how much his form has dropped away. Bring Finn in for the rest of the series. He has the pace England need. Yes he has a history of bleeding runs but he takes wickets and always has. A mistake not to have him in the side for Brisbane. He'd be a greater danger to us coming in behind Anderson and Broad.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
11 days until the second Test. I wonder if their is any possibility that Rogers, Watson and Bailey goes back to Shield Cricket and play the first couple of days, just to get some time in the middle. They could play on 29-30 of Nov and the teams just nominate a like for like for the final two days of the matches. England will be playing a tour game on those 2 days too.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
second test v south africa last year. although port adelaide v carlton round 23 came pretty close to a draw this year
Yeah just remembered last years. But before that? Seems to often produce results late on in matches.

benchmark00

@CricketAus: .@darren_lehmann announces the same 12 will be selected for the second @CommBank #Ashes Test, with a player to be added if conditions suit.

#muirhead

Spikey

Roz Kelly ‏@Roz_Kelly 10m
Ch 9 is family to me. But it's time to follow my heart on new adventures w my fiancé @mornemorkel65 .. Going freelance in the new year. ✌

A rough start to the preparations for the next test

adub

International Captain
Roz Kelly ‏@Roz_Kelly 10m
Ch 9 is family to me. But it's time to follow my heart on new adventures w my fiancé @mornemorkel65 .. Going freelance in the new year. ✌

A rough start to the preparations for the next test
Clarke finished with Morne obvs. Roz gets the scraps eh?

Burgey

Adelaide is a danger game for Australia. Unless the drop in is unlike nearly any other drop in it will be harder to bowl England out, and notwithstanding how wonderfully we bowled, our own batting frailties haven't disappeared. I don't know if our bating side is capable of batting out a draw tbh. It's either boom or bust.

Having said that, and although what I saw of this game was a bit limited, Brisbane wasn't just a beating, England got bent over by fast, aggressive stuff. I'm a bit surprised it worked so comprehensively, but there we go.
And kudos to Johnson. Nine for the match and 60 odd is a fine all round test by anyone's standards.

Spikey

it's great to see MJ continue his good form and if he keeps this form we'll surely win the Ashes for the 2nd straight time

(the joke here is that MJ's performance in this test match was the match winning stuff expected in 2009)

Top_Cat

Yeah big time. You get the feeling the short stuff won't be effective here.
Definitely not in the same way but she's turning this year. As much assistance as Lyon got up norf, AO will be better for him. That said I'm wondering how the alterations have changed wind conditions; if there's less breeze any more, will the Torrens End still be the one for quicks and dry it out for late in the game? Gotta figure the shadows from the stands would affect the break-up of the deck too.

Last time I saw Johnson bowl in Adelaide, strangely, the tougher he tried to bowl, the more threatening he looked. He's no channel bowler nor should he try to be. Tait proved over a few years that a shock bowler, especially a low-slung one, can do the business on AO if used properly. Give him the nurry, tell him to kill all humans and Siddle and Harris to bowl dry.

91Jmay

International Coach
Rankin has to come in for England. Its a myth Finn has great pace, but Rankin is high 80s - low 90s. He also bowls less four balls than Finn (which isn't really hard).

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Adelaide is a danger game for Australia. Unless the drop in is unlike nearly any other drop in it will be harder to bowl England out, and notwithstanding how wonderfully we bowled, our own batting frailties haven't disappeared. I don't know if our bating side is capable of batting out a draw tbh. It's either boom or bust.

Having said that, and although what I saw of this game was a bit limited, Brisbane wasn't just a beating, England got bent over by fast, aggressive stuff. I'm a bit surprised it worked so comprehensively, but there we go.
And kudos to Johnson. Nine for the match and 60 odd is a fine all round test by anyone's standards.
Bat first and get a **** load of runs is your answer. England really need to win the toss.

England seem to be good at being totally incapable of dealing with anything slightly unorthodox, bit of spin in UAE, collapse in a heap. Bit of pace and bounce, collapse in a heap.

Spark

Global Moderator
Is that such a surprise given how they're set up to play? Rigidity and an absolute dedication to a single game plan has worked wonders, but the lack of flexibility can be sometimes exposed...

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No I guess not, although have always associated the rigidity more with the bowling and captaincy which has tended to cope pretty well in alien conditions.