• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

Spark

Global Moderator
Agree but my big worry is heading to Perth 1-0 down. What the pitch is like at Adelaide is going to be so important, got to hope it is not a road.
If the Shield results are anything to go by, if anything it's become even more of a road.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
If the Shield results are anything to go by, if anything it's become even more of a road.
You'd suspect a drop in pitch to be a bit slower and lower though, right? If that is the case I'd feel the drop in would suit England, even going into the match 1-0 down.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hmm, not necessarily. The MCG drop-in has been noticeably bouncier in recent years, and though it's not quick, "slow, a little bouncy and flat" is Adelaide to a T. Obviously suits England more but I'd expect same-old-same-old 'til told otherwise, which generally means four thousand runs for both sides and reliant on scoreboard pressure/a manic rush on the last day to get a result

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think that's spot on. And massively depressing, as you just can't see things changing.

As for Adelaide, agreed that Trott stays for the time being. I don't think we have the fire power to win the match, but if we bat first we might stay afloat for a bit longer. If Aus bat first, we're probably ****ed.
Mate you need to remember that you are playing Australia

If Oz win the first test (and there is no way I am putting that in the bank yet), recent history says that we will probably completely **** it up in Adelaide.

We have not become a good side overnight and England has not become a bad one

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Basically these conditions are more alien than most of the turners on the subcontinent to English players.
That's probably true, but generally you trust your best players - with proper preparation of course - to be able to adjust and handle the different conditions.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mate you need to remember that you are playing Australia

If Oz win the first test (and there is no way I am putting that in the bank yet), recent history says that we will probably completely **** it up in Adelaide.

We have not become a good side overnight and England has not become a bad one
This is how I see it.

We will win a test so even if we lose here which looks likely then the Aussies need to win at least one more to win the series. You will throw in a horror show like we have here at some stage.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That's probably true, but generally you trust your best players - with proper preparation of course - to be able to adjust and handle the different conditions.
That's why the first test batting failure is even more galling here than normal. It's not like they've just stepped off the plane; they've had three warmups ffs

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
That's why the first test batting failure is even more galling here than normal. It's not like they've just stepped off the plane; they've had three warmups ffs
TBH, it's not entirely surprising. Trott has been awful for a while now. England haven't scored over 400 in a long time. Bell was going to fail at some stage.

They might need to go through a bit of a transition and get some of the younger blokes in.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
TBH, it's not entirely surprising. Trott has been awful for a while now. England haven't scored over 400 in a long time. Bell was going to fail at some stage.

They might need to go through a bit of a transition and get some of the younger blokes in.
Aye, batting needs looking at, you'd be hard pressed to find an England fan who will disagree. Basically I have no concerns in the long run about Cook, KP, Bell or Prior. Carberry is unproven and not a long term option, Trott looks shot, Root needs a chance to settle into a role and prove himself.

adub

International Captain
The only ground M Clarke has a better record at than the Gabba is the Adelaide Oval.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
cook
can berry
trott
kp
bell
stokes
prior
broad
swann
anderson
monty

obviously

Spark

Global Moderator
Draw the favourite for this one IMO. Most of the Australian batsmen - in particular Warner and Clarke - love the place to bits and if England can't put up decent scores on this deck they should be dropped. Or shot. Or both.