Page 2 of 197 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Like Tree219Likes

Thread: *Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    We'll give you Sachin if you give us Jimmy.
    In Ravi we have our own Sachin.
    Jono and Viscount Tom like this.

Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    Problem with any English player is that the conditions in England are getting slower and lower. All the play in early season doesn't really allow any fast wickets. Half the season is played on slow low seaming wickets then the second half they are just worn and lifeless with some seam/swing. There are no wickets in Eng that come anywhere near to Perth, Brisbane, Joburg- Old Trafford is the only one that would be deemed to have any kind of pace by international standard. Weather conditions and the extreme amount of cricket played mean wickets never get hard. There is also a complete lack of fast bowlers in county cricket- basically because there is a **** load of cricket played and there just isn't the scare factor for the batsmen because the wickets are slow. You're better off with a guy who nibbles in around all day at 75mph that never bounces over the stumps to someone like Tymal who bowls at 90mph but doesn't move the ball. imo.

For this reason none of the players are really prepared for the kind of bounce and pace coming from these wickets especially the ones that have played only county cricket during their career. Amazingly Bairstow would be the best bet for Perth (out of Ballance, Stokes, Bairstow) if I had the decision to make as at least he has some experience of facing quick bowlers at test cricket and has worked out somewhat of a game against short quick bowling even if the rest of his game is in pieces.

Basically these conditions are more alien than most of the turners on the subcontinent to English players.
    I think that's spot on. And massively depressing, as you just can't see things changing.

As for Adelaide, agreed that Trott stays for the time being. I don't think we have the fire power to win the match, but if we bat first we might stay afloat for a bit longer. If Aus bat first, we're probably ****ed.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I think that's an overreaction. While Bell covered for the other bats, there's still no doubt that we were comfortably better than Australia in the summer. Lets not pretend we're now a massively inferior outfit. We bowled well here in the 1st dig and a 30 minute collapse did for us. Can't fault the bowling too much in the second dig, they were on a hiding to nothing.

The things I would criticise our bowlers for:

- seeming to take the foot of the gas a bit with the Haddin/Johnson partnership - without that, it's a different match
    - the bowling at the close of day two. The bowling that we started with today was needed there. If we had, it's what, 10-2 and all of a sudden things look different

We'll be okay. Australia's batting is on the mend which is going to make things tougher - but all of a sudden people are acting like they don't know where a Test win will come from.

This will be a close series.

Agree but my big worry is heading to Perth 1-0 down. What the pitch is like at Adelaide is going to be so important, got to hope it is not a road.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    I think that's an overreaction. While Bell covered for the other bats, there's still no doubt that we were comfortably better than Australia in the summer. Lets not pretend we're now a massively inferior outfit. We bowled well here in the 1st dig and a 30 minute collapse did for us. Can't fault the bowling too much in the second dig, they were on a hiding to nothing.

The things I would criticise our bowlers for:

- seeming to take the foot of the gas a bit with the Haddin/Johnson partnership - without that, it's a different match
    - the bowling at the close of day two. The bowling that we started with today was needed there. If we had, it's what, 10-2 and all of a sudden things look different

We'll be okay. Australia's batting is on the mend which is going to make things tougher - but all of a sudden people are acting like they don't know where a Test win will come from.

This will be a close series.
    Love your optimism mate. I'm not sure that we were so comfortably better than them in the summer. As you say, Bell covered a multitude of batting sins, and pitches were always going to be different out in Aus, largely taking Swann out of the equation and also giving their quicks more to play with. Anyway, whatever gets each of through the night.

Haha we are always on the opposite side of the fence in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Agree but my big worry is heading to Perth 1-0 down. What the pitch is like at Adelaide is going to be so important, got to hope it is not a road.
    If the Shield results are anything to go by, if anything it's become even more of a road.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    If the Shield results are anything to go by, if anything it's become even more of a road.
    You'd suspect a drop in pitch to be a bit slower and lower though, right? If that is the case I'd feel the drop in would suit England, even going into the match 1-0 down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Hmm, not necessarily. The MCG drop-in has been noticeably bouncier in recent years, and though it's not quick, "slow, a little bouncy and flat" is Adelaide to a T. Obviously suits England more but I'd expect same-old-same-old 'til told otherwise, which generally means four thousand runs for both sides and reliant on scoreboard pressure/a manic rush on the last day to get a result
    Last edited by Spark; 23-11-2013 at 07:42 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    They'd be ****ing mental to play Trott at Perth.

So I guess you're advocating a debutant at Adelaide?
    Melbourne.

I'd rather have Trott fail at Perth than risk damaging a debutant.

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    I think that's spot on. And massively depressing, as you just can't see things changing.

As for Adelaide, agreed that Trott stays for the time being. I don't think we have the fire power to win the match, but if we bat first we might stay afloat for a bit longer. If Aus bat first, we're probably ****ed.
    Mate you need to remember that you are playing Australia

If Oz win the first test (and there is no way I am putting that in the bank yet), recent history says that we will probably completely **** it up in Adelaide.

We have not become a good side overnight and England has not become a bad one

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Aus batting is still pretty fragile imo.
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    Basically these conditions are more alien than most of the turners on the subcontinent to English players.
    That's probably true, but generally you trust your best players - with proper preparation of course - to be able to adjust and handle the different conditions.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Mate you need to remember that you are playing Australia

If Oz win the first test (and there is no way I am putting that in the bank yet), recent history says that we will probably completely **** it up in Adelaide.

We have not become a good side overnight and England has not become a bad one
    This is how I see it.

We will win a test so even if we lose here which looks likely then the Aussies need to win at least one more to win the series. You will throw in a horror show like we have here at some stage.
    Last edited by flibbertyjibber; 23-11-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    That's probably true, but generally you trust your best players - with proper preparation of course - to be able to adjust and handle the different conditions.
    That's why the first test batting failure is even more galling here than normal. It's not like they've just stepped off the plane; they've had three warmups ffs

Page 2 of 197 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread Information