• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

Tom Halsey

International Coach
To be honest, I don't think England's troubles are really a psychological thing. They've come into this series so clearly unprepared and many with the same technical flaws they had in England. I realize Trott has his issues, but he also was making the same exact set of mistakes and just looked flat out unprepared. They say the English thinktank and Cook's captaincy relies on rigorous statistical analysis. Not seen much of that while they've been in Oz
I think we have seen it, we've just seen the shortcomings of such an approach. They've not seen Johnson bowling like he has done in these two Tests (as well as other things like an off-spinner turning and bouncing it from around the wicket) and they've consequently been left without any statistics on such things that they can fall back on and indicate what is going wrong.

EDIT: And I also think a massive proportion of England's troubles are psychological.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
To be honest, I don't think England's troubles are really a psychological thing. They've come into this series so clearly unprepared and many with the same technical flaws they had in England. I realize Trott has his issues, but he also was making the same exact set of mistakes and just looked flat out unprepared. They say the English thinktank and Cook's captaincy relies on rigorous statistical analysis. Not seen much of that while they've been in Oz
Ok... think you are overcomplicating my point.

England are gutted after being knocked over in the first innings. They'd be quite disappointed.

Cook tried to lift their spirits, as a captain should do.

Chappell said its a waste of time they should have batted well.

:-/

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It is actually important how quickly the Aussies fold here, tbh. Even if they win this one by heaps, a good bowling performance could fire up Broad or Anderson for Perth and beyond.
Yeah exactly. This is why I would have bowled again. A good showing with the ball can also strangely give confidence to the English batsman. If we had of bowled again, we'd just have to bowl 42 overs, that wouldn't have been too difficult to share in terms of workload between the 5 bowlers.

Spark

Global Moderator
This does remind me a little of last year, though, in that we lost a bunch of wickets early in the 3rd innings too - but it was basically meaningless

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
Ok... think you are overcomplicating my point.

England are gutted after being knocked over in the first innings. They'd be quite disappointed.

Cook tried to lift their spirits, as a captain should do.

Chappell said its a waste of time they should have batted well.

:-/
You got me. I used your post to tangentially make another point. A lot of folks in the media keep making the point "They just need to get their minds right", which I simply don't think is true, or at least it's hardly the whole truth.

wiff

First Class Debutant
It is actually important how quickly the Aussies fold here, tbh. Even if they win this one by heaps, a good bowling performance could fire up Broad or Anderson for Perth and beyond.
I agree, 200 runs should be enough, but don't give away your wicket

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Clarke declared because he wanted to give rest to his bowlers, esp Johnson. Also, Lyon will get more help from the pitch tomorrow.

And now will somebody please do the needful and throw Mr Watson out of this ****ing side! Why is he still there? He does nothing except add uncertainty to the top order. Pick me, I could do that, and I am much funnier too.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
The fact that Johnson has been amazing and England have been far behind Australia in the runs, should not hide the fact that Australia only have 3 world class batsmen in their lineup, namely Clarke, Warner and Haddin IMO.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
The fact that Johnson has been amazing and England have been far behind Australia in the runs, should not hide the fact that Australia only have 3 world class batsmen in their lineup, namely Clarke, Warner and Haddin IMO.
Odd definition of world class, as IMO only one of those is world class. Did you mean Test class? Bit harsh on a couple of others if so though.

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
I think we have seen it, we've just seen the shortcomings of such an approach. They've not seen Johnson bowling like he has done in these two Tests (as well as other things like an off-spinner turning and bouncing it from around the wicket) and they've consequently been left without any statistics on such things that they can fall back on and indicate what is going wrong.

EDIT: And I also think a massive proportion of England's troubles are psychological.
1. Cook still not finding some way to compensate for a shaky movement off the front foot, while Aus were actively targeting that a full length outside off stump to Cook all of last Ashes.
2. The shuffling of Trott's feet leaving him vulnerable to getting strangled. His inital movement forward leaving him at risk against the short ball.
3. Root hanging on the backfoot is still there

Meanwhile, during the Ashes in England, it took a while for England, specifically Anderson, to straighten their lines to Watson. Watson was consistently getting away for 30 or 40 via cover drives. By the time they really straightened their lines (when Bres got him lbw), Watson was immediately making adjustments

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Clarke declared because he wanted to give rest to his bowlers, esp Johnson. Also, Lyon will get more help from the pitch tomorrow.

And now will somebody please do the needful and throw Mr Watson out of this ****ing side! Why is he still there? He does nothing except add uncertainty to the top order. Pick me, I could do that, and I am much funnier too.
People forgetting that he did score a 50 and take a wicket this Test already...

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Odd definition of world class, as IMO only one of those is world class. Did you mean Test class? Bit harsh on a couple of others if so though.
Yes I am referring to the Tests there. There's no way Rogers, Smith, Bailey and Watson (of now) are Test class.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
1. Cook still not finding some way to compensate for a shaky movement off the front foot, while Aus were actively targeting that a full length outside off stump to Cook all of last Ashes.
2. The shuffling of Trott's feet leaving him vulnerable to getting strangled. His inital movement forward leaving him at risk against the short ball.
3. Root hanging on the backfoot is still there

Meanwhile, during the Ashes in England, it took a while for England, specifically Anderson, to straighten their lines to Watson. Watson was consistently getting away for 30 or 40 via cover drives. By the time they really straightened their lines (when Bres got him lbw), Watson was immediately making adjustments
Whilst all of those calls are fair, I'd imagine England are not unaware of the issues. But it's one thing knowing about them and another thing fixing them. Statistics can't actually fix them for you.