• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Rogers

joshfinlay600

Cricket Spectator
Is Chris Rogers to old for Test Cricket, should he be dropped?
I think he isn't to old and is the leader of the openers. He is a key character in the Aussie team!!

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
LOL he was pretty much the best batsman for Australia in the last Ashes and I am sure he will be solid in this series too.

Should play for at least another 2 years.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I like the title "leader of the openers". Makes me imagine all opening batsmen as like a nomadic tribe.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I like the title "leader of the openers". Makes me imagine all opening batsmen as like a nomadic tribe.
Well tbh in England our team featured Rogers, Warner, Cowan, Watson and Hughes at different points, so we did have a nomadic tribe of openers.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This is like the ultimate thread for Benchy to hate on. His best mate joshfinlay starting a whole thread on Rogers :laugh:

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Rogers was very unlucky to have been dropped after the single test he played at Perth, but made a good comeback after such a long time and at least has a test century to his name which he can cherish for the rest of his life. I guess he might go on for a year or 2. It was rubbish that guys who were less experienced(in FC cricket), less skilled than him were given chances and he was being ignored.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Rogers was very unlucky to have been dropped after the single test he played at Perth, but made a good comeback after such a long time and at least has a test century to his name which he can cherish for the rest of his life. I guess he might go on for a year or 2. It was rubbish that guys who were less experienced(in FC cricket), less skilled than him were given chances and he was being ignored.
But he wasn't overlooked for those less skilled than him FFS. He got overlooked for Jaques originally, which at the time was an entirely good call. Then when his back gave out, Katich was making runs. Hayden retires, and the incredibly promising Hughes (averaging 50ish and being 10 years younger than Rogers) was brought in. Hughes got dropped for Watson because the latter was in the squad, and he acquitted himself well and rightfully stayed in that position for a while. Only a desperation call-up in England 2009 was a road in for Rogers, and I have NFI what his form was like at the time.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hughes, Maddinson, Khawaja and North are all playing as an opener domestically this year after predominately batting lower down the order last year. Is it a push from the national selectors or are the states just picking who they think can handle the spot the best?

91Jmay

International Coach
Think your mob are in enough trouble with the blade without dropping one of your top order mid test match.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
But he wasn't overlooked for those less skilled than him FFS. He got overlooked for Jaques originally, which at the time was an entirely good call. Then when his back gave out, Katich was making runs. Hayden retires, and the incredibly promising Hughes (averaging 50ish and being 10 years younger than Rogers) was brought in. Hughes got dropped for Watson because the latter was in the squad, and he acquitted himself well and rightfully stayed in that position for a while. Only a desperation call-up in England 2009 was a road in for Rogers, and I have NFI what his form was like at the time.
Agreed. It's some serious revisionism to say Rogers has ever been 'overlooked'.

Throughout his career, he's just never been good enough.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I thought it was a pretty bad call to pick Hughes ahead of Rogers when Hayden retired at the time. It Would've been interesting to see how Hughes's career developed if he didn't debut then, and it could've drastically changed Watson's career too because it was Hughes's subsequent failure that meant Watson was slotted in as emergency opener. Picking Hughes then really was such a massive call when you consider everything that's happened since; only took them four years to backtrack on it...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hughes, Maddinson, Khawaja and North are all playing as an opener domestically this year after predominately batting lower down the order last year. Is it a push from the national selectors or are the states just picking who they think can handle the spot the best?
They've shielded Khawaja from opening in First Class cricket as much as they can really, and I think North is only opening because Marsh is trying to push for the #6 spot and no-one else wanted to so he took one of the team.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
They've shielded Khawaja from opening in First Class cricket as much as they can really, and I think North is only opening because Marsh is trying to push for the #6 spot and no-one else wanted to so he took one of the team.
Could've been him trying to reinvent himself after a **** season

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I thought it was a pretty bad call to pick Hughes ahead of Rogers when Hayden retired at the time. It Would've been interesting to see how Hughes's career developed if he didn't debut then, and it could've drastically changed Watson's career too because it was Hughes's subsequent failure that meant Watson was slotted in as emergency opener. Picking Hughes then really was such a massive call when you consider everything that's happened since; only took them four years to backtrack on it...
Hughes didn't fail, the selectors just panicked massively because his technique isn't textbook. It's ****ed up his career.