• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Brad Haddin the best keeper Australia have ?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
When Australia picked a couple of 35 year olds after the India tour this year for the Ashes in England, I was bemused.
For a team that really needs to look forward, it seemed a short sighted move to me.

Rogers I guess you could understand the logic behind the selection given the lack of batting options Australia have.
But Haddin ??? Always struck me as being pretty overrated - an OK keeper + a mediocre batsman at best - was a massive comedown from Gilchrist.

He's averaged 23 in the tests he's played this year. Surely Australia have got a younger keeper who could at least churn out similar numbers if not better with the added promise of potentially getting better ?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is Matt Prior the best keeper England has? Because Haddin had a better series than he did in England.

Burgey

Also, it being 2013, if another keeper was averaging around 23 they wouldn't pick him. You'd need to be up in the mid 30s at a minimum to come into calculations given how teams look for batting in their glove men these days

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
There are worse keeper-batsmen in international cricket. Haddin is middle of the pack.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Tim Ludeman is the best keeper in the country and I have full confidence that all Australian posters on here agree 100% with me. :)

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The problem is that the logic of selecting the best players anyway doesn't stack up when Katich isn't there, but I suppose that's what happens when you go through a few coaches...

After the Ashes I imagine they'll have a good look to earmark a young keeper and keep an eye on him. Of course there's Wade as well, and if Prior could do it then so can Wade. We'll see.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
As an incumbent his English series was too good to look past for this series in Australia. Plus they needed to give him the spot back after only leaving to take care of his daughter. If he has a lean trot here this series I'd personally love to see Hartley have a chance

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The problem is that the logic of selecting the best players anyway doesn't stack up when Katich isn't there, but I suppose that's what happens when you go through a few coaches...
Well Katich is retired now, so...

I would say that Peter Nevill is closer to international selector than what people think.
Agreed. I'd be seriously looking at Nev to take the gloves when Haddin goes.

benchmark00

So anyway, you're absolutely kidding yourself Salamuddin. Haddin is and always has been class. Would have to be one of the most underrated test cricketers in the world at the moment. Which suits me because tasters gonna taste.