• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

133rd Thread - Home or Away?

Home or away?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Simple enough question for fellow Englishmen, and Aussies. Do you enjoy the home or away series?

From my understanding of the timezones I'd imagine Aussies are more likely to prefer the away series than we are, as they can enjoy the morning session in particular at a decent hour. But for me, there's something very exciting about being up alone in the night, watching the cricket, at least when it's good! And on Christmas Night, kids gone to bed, large rum poured and waiting for the cricket to come on, it's pretty much the best.

That being said the Ashes in England is great, love weekends in the summer when there are Tests on whoever we are playing but when it's the Aussies it's something else. But work is a right ballache when we are playing at home, so I may actually see more hours live of this series than I did the one this summer.

Plus, I've only experienced it once, but winning away is much more satisfying.

I vote away.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Great thread!!

For me last series in Oz was the best ever and I am far more pumped for this leg than I was for the English home series in the hope of something similar.

Days like today just kill me, heading off to work shortly and will be listening to the ABC and following on cricinfo. Taking a weeks leave to go to Adelaide for all 5 days so couldn't justify taking today off to sit and watch but right now I really wish I had........no chance of pulling a sicky either. Hate to miss day 1 of the series.

I prefer the Oz series as I love the English invasion by the Barmy Army and nothing fills me with more pride than seeing the Oz grounds taken over by Brits, but I do get to watch far more of the play in England........sleep I can do without, unfortunately work I can't.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Young Doctors was always on when i got home from school as a kid, my mum loved it.
ya flamin' galah.

My Mum loved Sons and Daughters, I only remember it, because the two main families had the same name as the Northern Ireland players involved in scoring against Spain '82 WC.

andyc

The bragging rights of saying you stayed up to watch all five days of a Test in England is definitely worth the tiredness IMO.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's easier for you guys though. Daylight savings completely ****s us over.

No idea how I'm going to manage this series. I'm already flagging.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Haha yeah, you Aussies might have to stay up till what, 3:30 to see the end of a day's play? That's when the first drinks session is of the WACA test for us.

VCC44

School Boy/Girl Captain
ya flamin' galah.

My Mum loved Sons and Daughters, I only remember it, because the two main families had the same name as the Northern Ireland players involved in scoring against Spain '82 WC.

Still Billy Hamilton, he's gone past Tendillo ... Arconada... Armstrong!

Pothas

WACA is a killer.

Sydney the hardest last time round though, the cumulative effect of Christmas and New Year.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
WACA is okay, just get an early night and get up early. Easiest one to watch the whole day of IMO.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
WACA is okay, just get an early night and get up early. Easiest one to watch the whole day of IMO.
Yeah with the sleeping pattern I'm in at the moment I'm thinking half the afternoon session and all the evening session at the WACA should be easily doable.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
I think the WACA will be the hardest, just because of the awkward start time over here, bleeding awkward building a city on the West Coast and playing an Ashes match there, typical Aussies.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha yeah, you Aussies might have to stay up till what, 3:30 to see the end of a day's play? That's when the first drinks session is of the WACA test for us.
You live on a postage stamp ffs.

I love watching the Ashes in England. Will definitely go to a series there one day. Only thing is, because I watch it late at night, I sometimes get a bit grumpy when I post on here.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Out of interest Adders, why are you choosing to spend five days in Adelaide?

That's a question I'd ask anyone btw.

Though if you get a chance, get up to Wilpena Pound. It's an amazing place and not that far away.

Last edited: