• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Congratulations KP

DDP

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Best batsman today, the only batsman I'd pay to watch today..
Just hope he scores a truckload of runs and gets to 10000 with 40 centuries.
Lol let's not go (KP) nuts here, he's not better than Amla atm, and probably not better than sangakkara chanderpaul and a few others

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Who are his competitors in his generation? Cook, Clarke, Amla... who else?
Generation is pretty hard to clearly define, they always run into each other. I mean Sangakkara maybe, he is a fair bit older but does not really fit into the previous generation either.

91Jmay

International Coach
I wouldn't count Sanga as this generation, but I would say Amla and Clarke are marginally better than KP but I'd choose to watch KP over them both all day.

Sehwag would be tier below for me, along with Cook/Smith.

Spark

Global Moderator
Is it just KP's inventiveness that makes him so much more watchable than Amla or Clarke? All three are perfectly capable of the bat**** crazy counterattacking 150 out of nowhere.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is it just KP's inventiveness that makes him so much more watchable than Amla or Clarke? All three are perfectly capable of the bat**** crazy counterattacking 150 out of nowhere.
Not half as often, though.

I prefer watching KP because he's less orthodox, and because there's a kind of physical brutality to his batting, same as Hayden had. KP bats like he's squaring up to a bouncer, whereas Clarke bats like he's painting a picture. And the fact that he constantly perpetuates off-field drama often means that his innings form part of a bigger story arc, and every hundred seems like a defiant "**** you" to whoever he's recently been publicly disagreeing with.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
KP has that bums on seats factor like Botham and Richards had. As good as Amla and Clarke are and they are very very good I think KP has the edge over them due to his unpredictability.

I'd probably take both the other two over KP but given a choice I would watch KP bat over Amla and Clarke if only for the sheer thrill factor in his strokeplay.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Great player and great to watch. As he'd no doubt agree.

Is he the first Anglo-Saffer to make 100 tests for England?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As both Strauss and Prior moved to Blighty with their folks as nippers, I'm not sure I'd class them as properly Saffers in the same way as those who moved to further their careers as adults.

Both sound English too.

DDP

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Who are his competitors in his generation? Cook, Clarke, Amla... who else?
Good question actually. Probably the 3 you mention.

AFAIC Pietersen took the torch from Lara, who took it from Viv. As for who he'll pass the torch onto - if he can translate his ODI 'how the **** has he done that' innings into Test cricket, I'd say Virat Kohli is in pole position.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
I can't help but think he's still underachieved to a certain extent. He has a higher ceiling than anyone I have ever watched bat, the way he has casually destroyed great bowlers (Murali, Warne, Mcgrath, Steyn) is unlike anyone I've ever seen. But he's also mixed it with long spells of nothingness and poor form.

Still, great career and a joy to watch.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I can't help but think he's still underachieved to a certain extent. He has a higher ceiling than anyone I have ever watched bat, the way he has casually destroyed great bowlers (Murali, Warne, Mcgrath, Steyn) is unlike anyone I've ever seen. But he's also mixed it with long spells of nothingness and poor form.

Still, great career and a joy to watch.
That's half the fun with blokes like him and Lara though. It's not just what they do, it's what they threaten to do that makes them so watchable.

Nearly 8,000 runs at over 48 is one hell of an underachievement by the way.