• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes Pub Quiz

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Sent.

Only one quote there that I don't remember ever hearing or reading about, but there are a few others where I knew the quote but wasn't sure of everyone involved.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Sledging quiz is still open until the start of play.

Team Challenge Day 1

We're looking for the names of batsmen who have scored centuries in Ashes battles at Adelaide Oval down the years.

Same rules as last time apply, each person is limited to 5 guesses.

All answers to ashespubquiz@hotmail.co.uk. Time limit is until close of play.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Answers in bold.

1. "You're a ****ing cheat."
"When in Rome, dear boy!" (2)

Ian Healy and Michael Atherton

2. "You can't bat"
"We make a fine pair. I can't bat and you can't bowl." (2)

Merv Hughes and Robin Smith

3. "Why are you batting so slowly?"
"I'm waiting for the pace of the wicket to change"
"Good god man, it's changed 3 times since you've been in!" (2)

Victor Richardson and the Nawab of Pataudi Sr

4. "You got an MBE, right? For scoring 7 at the Oval? That's embarassing." (2)

Shane Warne and Paul Collingwood MBE

5. "Mate, what are you doing out here? There's no way you're good enough to play for England."
"Maybe not, but at least I'm the best player in my own family." (2)

Mark Waugh and Jimmy Ormond

6. "Look, I don't mind the others chirping at me but you're just the bus driver of this team." (2)

Nasser Hussein to substitute fielder Justin Langer

7. "Don't bother shutting it (the gate on the boundary fence) son, you won't be in long enough." (1)

Fred Trueman

8. "Field at silly point. I want you right under his nose."
"That could be anywhere within a 3 mile radius." (4)

Steve Waugh instructing Ricky Ponting on where to field whilst Nasser Hussain was on strike. Ian Healy chips in on Ponting's behalf seeking clarification on Waugh's precise instructions

9. "Mate, if you just turn the bat over, you'll find the instructions on the back." (2)

Merv Hughes was certainly the bowler, depending on who you talk to the batsman was either Robin Smith or Graeme Hick. I'll accept either answer as correct.

10. "Right, which one of you bastards called this bastard a bastard?" (2)

Again, contradicting reports on this one, it was either Bill Woodful's response to a question from Jardine or Victor Richardson's response. Again, I'll accept either answer.
Results up after my pizza.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Scores on the doors:

1. The Sean - 17
2. Marcuss - 7
3. Dan - 14
4. fredfertang - 14
5. flibbertyjibber - 13
6. Neil Pickup - 12
7=. four_or_six - 11
7=. Pothas - 11
9. zaremba - 7
10. GIMH - 6

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice that there's a tie for 1st and 3rd positions, however both Marcuss and fredfertang neglected to send in a tie-breaker of any kind. Having said that, in my opinion Sean's "you know who I always liked? Simon Katich" was the best entry anyway.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Team Challenge, Day 1

A list of the 55 batsmen to have tonned up at Adelaide can be found here: Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Australia correctly identified Slater, Boon, Jackson, Ponting, Bradman, Greg Chappell, Clarke, Mark Waugh, Lawry, Simpson, Chris Broad, Hammond and Collingwood for a total of 13.

England correctly identified Collingwood, Pietersen, Hammond, Cook, Hobbs, Hutton, Boycott, Edrich, Compton, Bradman, Langer, Ponting, Harvey and Greg Chappell for a total of 14.

Therefore, England take the point for day 1.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Team Challenge, Day 2

In this Test, England have opted to field two spinners. So in honour of this decision, we're looking for the names of spinners to have taken 5-fors in Ashes tests played at Adelaide Oval.

Answers to ashespubquiz@hotmail.co.uk

As always with the team challenge, no more than 5 names per person, deadline is the close of play tomorrow morning.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Day 3's challenge, in honour of what will surely happen this test, is to name the 22 players on the field the last team a team won the toss in an Ashes Test at Adelaide, racked up 550+, declared and still lost.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It was of course at Adelaide in 1933 where Bodyline turned truly nasty.

Day 4's challenge is to name the 22 players who took part in that infamous Test.

Usual rules apply, 5 names per person. Answers by close of play to ashespubquiz@hotmail.co.uk

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Pub Quiz is on hold as I'm away on holiday for a couple of days.

If anyone wants to take over the running then give me a shout and I'll give you the email account details.