Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: How many runs will Alastair Cook score in the 2013/14 Ashes?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • <100 runs

2 6.90%
  • 100-200 runs

1 3.45%
  • 200-300 runs

4 13.79%
  • 300-400 runs

10 34.48%
  • 400-500 runs

5 17.24%
  • >500 runs

4 13.79%
  • >766 runs

2 6.90%
  • >904 runs

1 3.45%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: How many runs will Alastair Cook score in the 2013/14 Ashes?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    I'd say they bowled well to him and he also got some jaffers like the first innings at TB.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    I should also say I don't think you're all that bright.
    Furball and Son Of Coco like this.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    As long as any more of the aussie bowlers don't get injured, aus will be fine bowling-wise.
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Captain_Cook's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I should also say I don't think you're all that bright.
    Some things never change, I'm a stupid pom, you're a convict. Yawn...
    He bowls to the left, he bowls to the right, but when he bowls at the stumps, he makes England look ****e!

My Modern Test XI (since 2000): AN Cook, GC Smith (c), HM Amla, KC Sangakkara (w), MJ Clarke, IR Bell, S Watson, GP Swann, VD Philander, DW Steyn, JM Anderson.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    As long as any more of the aussie bowlers don't get injured, aus will be fine bowling-wise.
    Siddle and Harris yes but if the others they go for are Johnson and Hilfenhaus then all England fans will be delighted.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Siddle and Harris yes but if the others they go for are Johnson and Hilfenhaus then all England fans will be delighted.
    You seriously under-rate Hilfy IMO. He's a much better bowler than in 2010. Even on his bad days (i.e. his action is low) he'll keep it tight at least, just won't be much of a wicket-taking threat. To compare him with Johnson is pretty ignorant.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Yeah look given that the alternative is Johnson, at this stage I'd be stoked if they went with Hilfy for Brisbane. He did have a ripper of a series against India (that ball to Laxman, wow). He is like Johnson in that you can't quite be sure which type of bowler will turn up on the day, but at least if you get darkest-timeline, early outswinging Hilfy, he won't go at 4+ an over and **** everyone else up.

Plus he runs in all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

I would be disappointed if the battle was still between Johnson and Hilfenhaus for the third bowling spot.

I know Chadd Sayers has fans on here but I'm surprised that the media and selectors don't appear all that interested in a bowler who had match figures of 8-92 representing Australia A in his last match against an English county and just took match figures of 7-98 to help SA win the most recent Shield match.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Yeah, I've read a number of articles the last few days talking up how great the current domestic form of a number of players are (Smith, Warner, Rogers, even Johnson), while completely failing to mention Lynn and his 160 average as well. If the player's not on the radar he's simply not on the radar. From the media alone, it seems pretty clear that we're looking at Johnson and Hilf for the third seamer and Bailey as a lock for 6 with Marsh, Usman or D00ls behind.

At least Doolan is being mentioned, I guess.

No way Lynn should be in contention until the end of the season at least IMO. But he has started the season very well and has scored runs at Shield level in the past.

Funnily enough, and as truly dreadful as he can play, Johnson is the biggest outright match winner you have. That being - the guy who can literally win a match on his own. He even managed this once in 10/11, at Perth. It's just the 'orrible dross he serves up the rest of the time.
    World XI Since 1990 -

1. Gooch 2. Dravid 3. Ponting 4. Tendulkar 5. Lara 6. Kallis 7. Gilchrist 8. Akram 9. Warne 10. Ambrose 11. McGrath

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Cook View Post
    Coco, what is your explanation for Clarke's poor series (187 aside it was a bad series for him)? Did England bowl well to him? Was he a bit out of form?

I would say a bit of both just as is the case with Cook. If you Aussies claim to have found Cook's achilles heel, we can say that we've found Clarke's because he could only get a century on a road and Australia are supposed to be preparing bouncy wickets. God help Michael Clarke...
    And Clarke was plain awful in 10/11

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    If we're forgetting about the bowling in the last series then we might as well extend it past the series before that. The issue we have this time is injuries to our frontline bowlers, which may mean we are less effective with the ball (in all likelihood it will). The issue in 10/11 wasn't that the series was in Australia, it was that we performed very, very poorly with the ball. England also batted very well, but bowling both sides of the wicket never ends well anywhere.

Some of the suggestions here hinting at the bowling in England not being a real factor in some of England's players not doing as well as they could have are just completely clueless.
    I've always thought of Australia being a very hard place to bowl in general. For years the McGrath/Warne factor glossed over this for you guys - meanwhile whilst the rest of the world had to suffer (mostly in vain).

In 10/11, I think what we saw was quite simply mediocre bowlers toiling in unhelpful conditions (compounded by a batting lineup unable to concentrate for more than 10 minutes) So welcome to reality, Australia!!

The world we've lived in for decades!
    Last edited by GuyFromLancs; 11-11-2013 at 08:02 AM.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    You seriously under-rate Hilfy IMO. He's a much better bowler than in 2010. Even on his bad days (i.e. his action is low) he'll keep it tight at least, just won't be much of a wicket-taking threat. To compare him with Johnson is pretty ignorant.
    Yeah but we have already won the two ashes series that both played in so why would they concern us that much?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Cook View Post
    Coco, what is your explanation for Clarke's poor series (187 aside it was a bad series for him)? Did England bowl well to him? Was he a bit out of form?

I would say a bit of both just as is the case with Cook. If you Aussies claim to have found Cook's achilles heel, we can say that we've found Clarke's because he could only get a century on a road and Australia are supposed to be preparing bouncy wickets. God help Michael Clarke...
    Bit controversial maybe, but I genuinely believe Clarke won't be as troubled by the short ball in Australia as he was in England, even though the wickets will be faster and bouncier.
    Prince EWS likes this.
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information