Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: How many runs will Alastair Cook score in the 2013/14 Ashes?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • <100 runs

2 6.90%
  • 100-200 runs

1 3.45%
  • 200-300 runs

4 13.79%
  • 300-400 runs

10 34.48%
  • 400-500 runs

5 17.24%
  • >500 runs

4 13.79%
  • >766 runs

2 6.90%
  • >904 runs

1 3.45%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: How many runs will Alastair Cook score in the 2013/14 Ashes?

Your reading comprehension skills need a lot of work.

Hint: no one says that Australian cricket is great or that we're favourites (and even if they were - people have predictions about actual cricket that will be played, how amazing). We are saying that our bowlers executed good plans to Cook and stifled his scoring. BUT NO AUSTRALIAN CRICKET IN CRISIS!!!1!!!

Look, I have absolutely no interest - and this forum in general has no interest - in a nationalistic bull**** war over whose "nation" as a whole is better/worse or which nation's "cricket" as some amorphous entity as some enormous societal edifice in on the verge of collapse. I'm interested in talking about cricket. Y'know, this sport where bowlers bowl and batsmen bat.

(This obviously doesn't include banter, but if you're taking that seriously then, well... first line holds)
    Last edited by Spark; 07-11-2013 at 08:09 AM.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    I'm interested in talking about cricket. Y'know, this sport where bowlers bowl

Not sure it's the right verb for some of Mitchell Johnson's stuff OMG AMIRITE

and batsmen bat.
    But not for very long if they're Aussies OMG AMIRITE

Sorry Mark Hughes mate, couldn't resist.

Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Nah look, it's the bowling full thing to Cook that's not getting the credit. And especially with McDermott back coaching. Unless Yuvraj Singh plays for England, they'll bowl full, and if they don't they'll be doing it wrong.
    Last edited by Burgey; 07-11-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    That last paragraph is tosh, sorry.
    If you don't say it like you mean it, it doesn't count
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Nah look, it's the bowling full thing to Cook that's not getting the credit. And especially with McDermott back coaching. Unless Yuvraj Singh plays for England, they'll bowl full, and if they don't they'll be doing it wrong.
    I love that McDermott actually got someone to alter the pitch map graphics to con his blokes into bowling fuller.
    adub likes this.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    I love that McDermott actually got someone to alter the pitch map graphics to con his blokes into bowling fuller.
    Haha, really? That's magnificent

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Not sure it's the right verb for some of Mitchell Johnson's stuff OMG AMIRITE

But not for very long if they're Aussies OMG AMIRITE

Sorry Mark Hughes mate, couldn't resist.

wac

In addition to pressing his case in words, McDermott did it with statistics and footage. Tellingly, he requested a change to the team's video analysis parameters, pushing the "good" and "full" lengths on CA's bowling graphics closer to the bat by about a metre to further encourage deliveries that could swing and catch the edge of a probing bat.
    Daniel Brettig: How Craig McDermott has got Australia's bowlers to pitch it up | Specials | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    That doesn't mean he changed the graphic for where the actual deliveries pitched (not that anyone said he did that specifically), he just moved the line that demarcates a good/full length further up. Not really conning anyone tbf.
    andyc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    That doesn't mean he changed the graphic for where the actual deliveries pitched, he just moved the line that demarcates a good/full length further up. Not really conning anyone tbf.
    Yeah it is. It means that when his bowlers land it in what everyone else sees as the good length zone, when it comes to analysing their day an Aussie bowler will look at his pitchmap and see a bunch of deliveries as being short of a length and he'll go away thinking 'I need to pitch it up more.'

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Yeah it is. It means that when his bowlers land it in what everyone else sees as the good length zone, when it comes to analysing their day an Aussie bowler will look at his pitchmap and see a bunch of deliveries as being short of a length and he'll go away thinking 'I need to pitch it up more.'
    Then they haven't been looking at their pitchmaps often enough to notice something's off, in which case yeah, they've been conned.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    TBF it's a bit of an indictment on the bowlers' intelligence isn't it? Like instead of just telling them to ignore whether the computer program said it was 'full' or 'good,' McDermott had to actually change the system so that they could finally understand it and get a sticker on their tests.
    hendrix likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    TBF it's a bit of an indictment on the bowlers' intelligence isn't it? Like instead of just telling them to ignore whether the computer program said it was 'full' or 'good,' McDermott had to actually change the system so that they could finally understand it and get a sticker on their tests.
    Nah I just think it's a genius way for McDermott to get his troops bowling fuller.

Its both.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromLancs View Post
    I don't think we're amazingly superior.

But there's a huge vibe about here that seems to suggest the issues of 10/11 can be completely forgotten.

Remember when Ali still thought he was the greatest all the way into the early 80s? Completely ignoring the fact he'd lost it twice over. That is Australian cricket.

Hubris, grandstanding, wishful thinking and flat-out reality denial.

For the sake of the sport I hope this doesn't happen, but I bet Australian cricket is one heavy ashes defeat away from near-implosion.
    If we're forgetting about the bowling in the last series then we might as well extend it past the series before that. The issue we have this time is injuries to our frontline bowlers, which may mean we are less effective with the ball (in all likelihood it will). The issue in 10/11 wasn't that the series was in Australia, it was that we performed very, very poorly with the ball. England also batted very well, but bowling both sides of the wicket never ends well anywhere.

Some of the suggestions here hinting at the bowling in England not being a real factor in some of England's players not doing as well as they could have are just completely clueless.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Captain_Cook's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Some of the suggestions here hinting at the bowling in England not being a real factor in some of England's players not doing as well as they could have are just completely clueless.
    Coco, what is your explanation for Clarke's poor series (187 aside it was a bad series for him)? Did England bowl well to him? Was he a bit out of form?

I would say a bit of both just as is the case with Cook. If you Aussies claim to have found Cook's achilles heel, we can say that we've found Clarke's because he could only get a century on a road and Australia are supposed to be preparing bouncy wickets. God help Michael Clarke...
    He bowls to the left, he bowls to the right, but when he bowls at the stumps, he makes England look ****e!

My Modern Test XI (since 2000): AN Cook, GC Smith (c), HM Amla, KC Sangakkara (w), MJ Clarke, IR Bell, S Watson, GP Swann, VD Philander, DW Steyn, JM Anderson.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information