• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How many runs will Alastair Cook score in the 2013/14 Ashes?

How many runs will Alastair Cook score in the 2013/14 Ashes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spark

Global Moderator
This isn't a case of McGrath vs Atherton. The bowling was tight but Harris aside just required time at the crease to solve. Cook doesn't care about his strike rate yet some of the deliveries he went after were one day wide full deliveries and leg side ones. Cook isn't usually bothered about being starved of runs. That's why I believe his poor form was 60% and disciplined bowling was 40% of why he was neutered.

For a player so comfortable on the backfoot, the extra bounce on offer will let Cook use his strengths and hinder the bowlers in finding a full enough length rather than settling at back of a length.
I'm honestly amazed at this post. It's like you've stumbled across some alternative cricket reality where full lengths are short and balls outside off stump are actually pies.

Spark

Global Moderator
Spare me. Nationalistic bragging aside, there is actually an objective reality out there and the idea that a world-class batsman such as Cook, coming off reasonable Test form could fail to reach a hundred in a Test series in conditions which did not overly favour seam bowling - and then for the quality and tactics of the opposition bowling was minor in making that happen, is just outlandishly, manifestly illogical. And especially so given how blatantly obvious it was to everyone who paid actual attention to the cricket on show what the bowlers were doing.

This is not rocket science here, people have been saying that this is the way to bowl to Cook for years. If that interrupts your special narrative about how amazingly superior your cricket team is at everything then so be it.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I don't think we're amazingly superior.

But there's a huge vibe about here that seems to suggest the issues of 10/11 can be completely forgotten.

Remember when Ali still thought he was the greatest all the way into the early 80s? Completely ignoring the fact he'd lost it twice over. That is Australian cricket.

Hubris, grandstanding, wishful thinking and flat-out reality denial.

For the sake of the sport I hope this doesn't happen, but I bet Australian cricket is one heavy ashes defeat away from near-implosion.

Spark

Global Moderator
Your reading comprehension skills need a lot of work.

Hint: no one says that Australian cricket is great or that we're favourites (and even if they were - people have predictions about actual cricket that will be played, how amazing). We are saying that our bowlers executed good plans to Cook and stifled his scoring. BUT NO AUSTRALIAN CRICKET IN CRISIS!!!1!!!

Look, I have absolutely no interest - and this forum in general has no interest - in a nationalistic bull**** war over whose "nation" as a whole is better/worse or which nation's "cricket" as some amorphous entity as some enormous societal edifice in on the verge of collapse. I'm interested in talking about cricket. Y'know, this sport where bowlers bowl and batsmen bat.

(This obviously doesn't include banter, but if you're taking that seriously then, well... first line holds)

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm interested in talking about cricket. Y'know, this sport where bowlers bowl

Not sure it's the right verb for some of Mitchell Johnson's stuff OMG AMIRITE :lol::lol::lol:

and batsmen bat.
But not for very long if they're Aussies OMG AMIRITE :lol::lol::lol:

:ph34r:

Sorry Mark Hughes mate, couldn't resist.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah look, it's the bowling full thing to Cook that's not getting the credit. And especially with McDermott back coaching. Unless Yuvraj Singh plays for England, they'll bowl full, and if they don't they'll be doing it wrong.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nah look, it's the bowling full thing to Cook that's not getting the credit. And especially with McDermott back coaching. Unless Yuvraj Singh plays for England, they'll bowl full, and if they don't they'll be doing it wrong.
I love that McDermott actually got someone to alter the pitch map graphics to con his blokes into bowling fuller.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Daemon

That doesn't mean he changed the graphic for where the actual deliveries pitched (not that anyone said he did that specifically), he just moved the line that demarcates a good/full length further up. Not really conning anyone tbf.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That doesn't mean he changed the graphic for where the actual deliveries pitched, he just moved the line that demarcates a good/full length further up. Not really conning anyone tbf.
Yeah it is. It means that when his bowlers land it in what everyone else sees as the good length zone, when it comes to analysing their day an Aussie bowler will look at his pitchmap and see a bunch of deliveries as being short of a length and he'll go away thinking 'I need to pitch it up more.'

Daemon

Yeah it is. It means that when his bowlers land it in what everyone else sees as the good length zone, when it comes to analysing their day an Aussie bowler will look at his pitchmap and see a bunch of deliveries as being short of a length and he'll go away thinking 'I need to pitch it up more.'
Then they haven't been looking at their pitchmaps often enough to notice something's off, in which case yeah, they've been conned.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
TBF it's a bit of an indictment on the bowlers' intelligence isn't it? Like instead of just telling them to ignore whether the computer program said it was 'full' or 'good,' McDermott had to actually change the system so that they could finally understand it and get a sticker on their tests.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
TBF it's a bit of an indictment on the bowlers' intelligence isn't it? Like instead of just telling them to ignore whether the computer program said it was 'full' or 'good,' McDermott had to actually change the system so that they could finally understand it and get a sticker on their tests.
Nah I just think it's a genius way for McDermott to get his troops bowling fuller.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think we're amazingly superior.

But there's a huge vibe about here that seems to suggest the issues of 10/11 can be completely forgotten.

Remember when Ali still thought he was the greatest all the way into the early 80s? Completely ignoring the fact he'd lost it twice over. That is Australian cricket.

Hubris, grandstanding, wishful thinking and flat-out reality denial.

For the sake of the sport I hope this doesn't happen, but I bet Australian cricket is one heavy ashes defeat away from near-implosion.
If we're forgetting about the bowling in the last series then we might as well extend it past the series before that. The issue we have this time is injuries to our frontline bowlers, which may mean we are less effective with the ball (in all likelihood it will). The issue in 10/11 wasn't that the series was in Australia, it was that we performed very, very poorly with the ball. England also batted very well, but bowling both sides of the wicket never ends well anywhere.

Some of the suggestions here hinting at the bowling in England not being a real factor in some of England's players not doing as well as they could have are just completely clueless.

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
Some of the suggestions here hinting at the bowling in England not being a real factor in some of England's players not doing as well as they could have are just completely clueless.
Coco, what is your explanation for Clarke's poor series (187 aside it was a bad series for him)? Did England bowl well to him? Was he a bit out of form?

I would say a bit of both just as is the case with Cook. If you Aussies claim to have found Cook's achilles heel, we can say that we've found Clarke's because he could only get a century on a road and Australia are supposed to be preparing bouncy wickets. God help Michael Clarke...