View Poll Results: How many runs will Alastair Cook score in the 2013/14 Ashes?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • <100 runs

2 6.90%
  • 100-200 runs

1 3.45%
  • 200-300 runs

4 13.79%
  • 300-400 runs

10 34.48%
  • 400-500 runs

5 17.24%
  • >500 runs

4 13.79%
  • >766 runs

2 6.90%
  • >904 runs

1 3.45%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: How many runs will Alastair Cook score in the 2013/14 Ashes?

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Captain_Cook's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    You're selling short the plans set for him, and how well they were executed. Look at Genesis, not Revelation - not just the ball which gets him out but the setting up of the bloke too.
    I don't buy that line of thinking. Harris bowled incredibly but Cook was struggling last summer before a ball was bowled. The CT had taken a lot out of him and he wasn't playing fluidly.

To be fair to Cook, he has always struggled against quality pace in England. 2009 was disappointing for Cook as well. However, unless Clark makes and unlikely return from retirement, I think your bowlers lack the discipline to bowl full enough for the required time to get Cook out cheaply once he's in. The bouncy wickets make their job twice as hard as the slow wickets in August.

I don't think he'll average 27 again but improved strategy should stop the double tons and the 766 run massacre of 10/11.
    He bowls to the left, he bowls to the right, but when he bowls at the stumps, he makes England look ****e!

My Modern Test XI (since 2000): AN Cook, GC Smith (c), HM Amla, KC Sangakkara (w), MJ Clarke, IR Bell, S Watson, GP Swann, VD Philander, DW Steyn, JM Anderson.

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    Yeah Captain_Cook is right. How well you play against someone has no impact on their performance.
    Son Of Coco likes this.
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Well, they did it for five tests in England. I don't think bowling discipline was Australia's problem in the last series at all.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    I thought last time it was wetter than and cooler than usual which meant pitches did a bit more than they usually do? If the pitches are anything like they were last season they'll very much be roads.
    Brisbane was a road for virtually all 5 days except for when it rained overnight and Australia were batting the next morning anyway

Adelaide - road

WACA - very quick and resulted in 2 failures

MCG - good bowling conditions for 2 sessions and a road thereafter

SCG - see MCG

As an example, weather in Brisbane has been very different this year to recent past with record temps for Aug, Sept and Oct punctuated by storms whereas last few years has seen flooding and cool weather

As Qld is tropical, grass does not grow in latter conditions resulting in slow dead pitches

If weather continues like this (and forecast for this week is for 5 * 30+ days followed by a storm), pitch is likely to be very fast

None of which means Cook will fail btw but I cant imagine "conditions" of last series (i.e. roads + ****e bowling) will be easier this time around
    Last edited by social; 06-11-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Cook View Post
    Cook was woefully out of form this summer, he got himself out more than he was got out. Had he been in form he would have left those leg side and wide deliveries. His class showed that he still got three fifties despite looking so uncomfortable it was painful to watch. Cook is a grafter and that's why he's due a good series averaging 50 odd.

**** me dead...
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Captain_Cook's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Yeah Captain_Cook is right. How well you play against someone has no impact on their performance.
    This isn't a case of McGrath vs Atherton. The bowling was tight but Harris aside just required time at the crease to solve. Cook doesn't care about his strike rate yet some of the deliveries he went after were one day wide full deliveries and leg side ones. Cook isn't usually bothered about being starved of runs. That's why I believe his poor form was 60% and disciplined bowling was 40% of why he was neutered.

For a player so comfortable on the backfoot, the extra bounce on offer will let Cook use his strengths and hinder the bowlers in finding a full enough length rather than settling at back of a length.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    That last paragraph is tosh, sorry.

This is a rough guess, but here goes

Brisbane

65 & 54

Adelaide

188 & DNB (England in this match will declare on 701 for 3)

Perth

8 & 49

Melbourne

155 & 87*

Sydney

45 & 40

Sorry I can't be more specific
    Last edited by GuyFromLancs; 07-11-2013 at 04:17 AM. Reason: conent
    World XI Since 1990 -

1. Gooch 2. Dravid 3. Ponting 4. Tendulkar 5. Lara 6. Kallis 7. Gilchrist 8. Akram 9. Warne 10. Ambrose 11. McGrath

aint been much storms for a while tbh, don't think i've mowed more than once since the two weeks of winter we had in july
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    lol, just the last paragraph?
    Son Of Coco likes this.

Never seen you appologise for your own tosh posts........why are you appologising for someone elses??

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Cook View Post
    This isn't a case of McGrath vs Atherton. The bowling was tight but Harris aside just required time at the crease to solve. Cook doesn't care about his strike rate yet some of the deliveries he went after were one day wide full deliveries and leg side ones. Cook isn't usually bothered about being starved of runs. That's why I believe his poor form was 60% and disciplined bowling was 40% of why he was neutered.

For a player so comfortable on the backfoot, the extra bounce on offer will let Cook use his strengths and hinder the bowlers in finding a full enough length rather than settling at back of a length.
    I'm honestly amazed at this post. It's like you've stumbled across some alternative cricket reality where full lengths are short and balls outside off stump are actually pies.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

I'm sorry, but I think it's the Aussie crowds who are living in an alternate cricketing reality here.

Spare me. Nationalistic bragging aside, there is actually an objective reality out there and the idea that a world-class batsman such as Cook, coming off reasonable Test form could fail to reach a hundred in a Test series in conditions which did not overly favour seam bowling - and then for the quality and tactics of the opposition bowling was minor in making that happen, is just outlandishly, manifestly illogical. And especially so given how blatantly obvious it was to everyone who paid actual attention to the cricket on show what the bowlers were doing.

This is not rocket science here, people have been saying that this is the way to bowl to Cook for years. If that interrupts your special narrative about how amazingly superior your cricket team is at everything then so be it.

I don't think we're amazingly superior.

But there's a huge vibe about here that seems to suggest the issues of 10/11 can be completely forgotten.

Remember when Ali still thought he was the greatest all the way into the early 80s? Completely ignoring the fact he'd lost it twice over. That is Australian cricket.

Hubris, grandstanding, wishful thinking and flat-out reality denial.

For the sake of the sport I hope this doesn't happen, but I bet Australian cricket is one heavy ashes defeat away from near-implosion.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information