• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How many runs will Alastair Cook score in the 2013/14 Ashes?

How many runs will Alastair Cook score in the 2013/14 Ashes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spark

Global Moderator
While I think the short ball will always be a relative weakness for Clarke because he's a converted batsman, the fact that he has handled it so well over his career tells me he's more than capable of shoring up that area of his game.

In contrast, Cook's method for dealing with full & wide deliveries has always been discipline, and I don't see him all of a sudden getting the stride in during this series. I suspect he'll keep waiting for that which can be flicked or cut, or else succumb to the scoreboard pressure.
I still think it's a really dangerous tactic to try - South Africa proved it last year. Sure, it's a weakness and if it works, great, but if he's in form and/or you get it wrong, you are going to be taken to the cleaners in a rather singular fashion.

Edit: Yeah.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Bell caught out the Aussies in England. They were focused on Cook, Trott and KP. Now he still played very good cricket but it will be harder to duplicate that form. He will get more attention and more focus.
i reckon that is a load of bollocks, but lets just pretend for a moment that there is some truth there, i reckon you can solve the demise of Aussie cricket with one simple email to CA.................tell em to prepare for the whole ****ing team!!!

And if they do focus more on Bell this time, does that mean Root or Bairstow will slip under the radar and score gazillion runs.??

Spark

Global Moderator
"Bell might find the going a bit tougher because the Australians will focus on him"

"WHAT LUNACY"

Come on, do better than this.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I am sure after Bell got the matchwinning tons in the first two tests that the Aussies didn't try and come up with a new plan for him as they expected him to return back into the sherminator. Some times a player is just in too good a run of form for any attack no matter how good they are. Take Clarke v SA.

Spark

Global Moderator
TBH that's true to an extent, but there's also the case that they came up with the wrong plan, which was to bowl short. Clarke was in such obscene strokemaking form at the time that it might not have made much if any difference, but they didn't help themselves with that.

Also, they played Imran Tahir.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I still think it's a really dangerous tactic to try - South Africa proved it last year. Sure, it's a weakness and if it works, great, but if he's in form and/or you get it wrong, you are going to be taken to the cleaners in a rather singular fashion.

Edit: Yeah.
Like most people who are troubled by the short ball, Clarke hardly ever actually gets out to the short ball itself, it's the follow up that causes the trouble. Clarke just isn't troubled by the follow up as much in Australia as he is in England, usually because there's less sideways movement and less balls are targeting the stumps because of the bounce. Just think of all the times Clarke was bowled or LBW last series and compare it with the number of times he was bowled/lbw in the 2012/13 season.

Obviously shots like the upper cut are more on on bouncier and faster wickets as well.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
i reckon that is a load of bollocks, but lets just pretend for a moment that there is some truth there, i reckon you can solve the demise of Aussie cricket with one simple email to CA.................tell em to prepare for the whole ****ing team!!!

And if they do focus more on Bell this time, does that mean Root or Bairstow will slip under the radar and score gazillion runs.??

I can imagine Clarke and Lehmann in the lab now - "roight mayt, we gotta prioritise ivery bleedin wicket"

91Jmay

International Coach
If the Aussies didn't focus on a bloke who tonned up in the last tests the sides played against each other they must be being coached by a brainless, alcoholic pissant.

Oh, right.

Daemon

Alcoholism is a disease/addictive disorder and that post is mentalist.

Ban him!

91Jmay

International Coach
Mentalist means someone with powers of telekinesis or mind reading. So no it wasn't.

However mental is a stigmatic word about mental illness.

BAN HIM.

Daemon

Blame wikipedia "Discrimination faced by those who have or are perceived to have a mental disorder is sometimes called mentalism rather than ableism."

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Quite possibly the funniest thing I've read for some time.