• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

In the event that Clarke's back gives out during this series and he has to retire...

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Who is our new captain?

My friends and I have been discussing this a fair bit lately, but have not come up with a definitive answer. Unlike Clarke being groomed behind Ponting, there does not seem to be an obvious successor for Clarke despite the fact that his back could give way at any moment. While it's unrealistic that Clarke would just retire mid-series, lets just say that his back gets messed up pretty badly and he is going to be out for over 12 months. I can think of 3 possible scenarios.

1. Haddin gets made captain short-term until the end of the series while CA panic to find a new captain, likely one of the next two options.

2. Bailey gets made captain with SMiffy as his deputy. Even if Bailey is not in the XI (if Hughes slots in at 6), one would have to assume that should one of the middle order get injured Bailey would be next in line pending decent shield performances. There is a very real chance that Bailey could be the first person in who-knows-how-long to debut as test captain..

3. SMiffy gets thrown straight into the role, likely with Bailey as VC. I feel as though he probably the next captain anyway when Clarke eventually retires.

Some other possible but very unlikely possibilities:

-Warner/Wade, for whatever reason.
-White somehow gets into the test side, becomes the new Bailey, becomes captain.

Discuss.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah it'd be Haddin until the end of the series and then a re-evaluation after that. That's the point of vice-captaincy.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Haddin- must be Haddin. It'd be cruel to expect Smitteh to take it on if Clarke went down mid Ashes series.

Watson- no. His ego doesn't need/deserve it.

Rogers- not much point, but could be a short term option

Warner- needs 12 months in the bank without a bar room brawl before it's even considered.

Smith- yes, but shouldn't be thrown in to it mid series with pressure. Ideally it's 1-2 years away for him.

Bailey- not really in the team and should be made to earn a spot before his leadership is considered.

Fast bowlers- don't really work as captains.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
fast bowlers dont work as captains is a load of ****, but ours are all injured or siddle
Nup. Just doesn't work. Fast bowling is hard work and if you're bowling a long spell it's hard to set your own fields and one for the guy at the other end as well. I firmly believe it doesn't work

Test cricket has never seen a truly great fast bowling captain, apart from maybe Imran.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd find it hard to justify selecting a fast bowler as captain unless they had very good leadership skills (for reasons Monk stated), something I don't think Siddle or any other fast bowler has as far as I'm aware

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah it'll be Haddin short-term, though if Clarke was to somehow pull the plug I reckon they'll go for a Bailey/Smith leadership team.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Nup. Just doesn't work. Fast bowling is hard work and if you're bowling a long spell it's hard to set your own fields and one for the guy at the other end as well. I firmly believe it doesn't work

Test cricket has never seen a truly great fast bowling captain, apart from maybe Imran.
Fast bowlers have 20 overs a day to get through, and struggle to balance playing and captaincy.

So why is everyone so much more keen to give the armband to a keeper who's got 90 overs of squats, 500 takes, and a batting role to fulfil?

People say there have been few bowler-captains; how many keeper-skippers have there been? I know I cannot stand trying to do both roles!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Dhoni the exception that proves, etc.

Stewie did both too, didn't he? Whilst opening and drivng the team bus as well, no doubt.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
... and we all know how well Stewie prospered by trying to wear half a dozen hats at the same time.

Fair shout on Dhoni, mind. Although he doesn't usually have that much work to do when India are bowling...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Fast bowlers have 20 overs a day to get through, and struggle to balance playing and captaincy.

So why is everyone so much more keen to give the armband to a keeper who's got 90 overs of squats, 500 takes, and a batting role to fulfil?

People say there have been few bowler-captains; how many keeper-skippers have there been? I know I cannot stand trying to do both roles!
Haddin was quite a good skipper for NSW when he did it though, and his own performance lifted so he seemed to enjoy it.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Sanga, though that didn't work well.
McCullum
Didn't Junior Murray captain for WI at one point? Andy Flower? Dave Houghton? Ridley Jacobs?

I don't think they all kept and captained but there will be a few in there. Flower I know.