• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can England win at the WACA 2013/14?

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
I am aware of Australia's dominance at the ground but with an Australia side with limited seams options due to injury excluding Sir Mitchell, can England go against history and the statistics and pull off a memorable victory.

England Cricket Team at the WACA
Won - 1
Drawn - 3
Lost - 8

I think this is England's best chance to add another win and break the streak of Third Ashes Test draws and losses since 1981.

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
Interesting call. Why do you think England can beat Australia at the WACA??
I don't see the Australian fast bowling that usually wins it there. Harris may not play, Pattinson and Starc are maybes and Mitchell Johnson took two tests to loosen up to propel the Baggy Greens to victory last time. I think Australia will win if Johnson plays the first three tests but Australia may be 2-0 down going into Perth if Johnson is played.

Hooksey

Banned
I don't see the Australian fast bowling that usually wins it there. Harris may not play, Pattinson and Starc are maybes and Mitchell Johnson took two tests to loosen up to propel the Baggy Greens to victory last time. I think Australia will win if Johnson plays the first three tests but Australia may be 2-0 down going into Perth if Johnson is played.
It will be a test of Australia's fast bowling depth as to whether they can put a bowling attack on the park that can capitalise on what the WACA deck offers. Johnson looked pretty nasty for a while in that final ODI. If. If. If, he gets his **** together at the WACA, he could be a handful.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd say Patto and Harris will play, Siddle will definitely play and then there is the much feared Forkers Faulkner in reserve, the bowling will be fine thankyou very much

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Just because we tripped up at the WACA last time it is hardly an Aussie fortress, they have lost 3 of their last 6 tests there.

There is no reason to view the WACA as any different to any of the other venues IMO.

Hooksey

Banned
I'd say Patto and Harris will play, Siddle will definitely play and then there is the much feared Forkers Faulkner in reserve, the bowling will be fine thankyou very much
If the Aussie bowling is fine I think the result will be too.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah look, if the English batsmen can handle the Gabba fine, then they shouldn't have too much of an issue at Perth, should be a good game that one

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
Are you serious about Faulkner? He's a one day bowler for a reason. His performance in the 1st innings at the Oval was ordinary, three of his four wickets coming courtesy of batsman error/being a tailender. The Bell wicket and a few half chances don't make a test bowler.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Cook, KP, Bell, Broad, Swann and Anderson might not all play too which leaves England&Wales lineup us:

1 Carberry
2 Root
3 Trott
4 Bairstow
5 Ballance
6 Stokes
7 Prior
8 Tremlett
9 Panesar
10 Rankin
11 Finn

Basically, I'm not too interested in the third Test. #takingitonetestatatime

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Are you serious about Faulkner? He's a one day bowler for a reason. His performance in the 1st innings at the Oval was ordinary, three of his four wickets coming courtesy of batsman error/being a tailender. The Bell wicket and a few half chances don't make a test bowler.
no I was taking the piss

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Cook, KP, Bell, Broad, Swann and Anderson might not all play too which leaves England&Wales lineup us:

1 Carberry
2 Root
3 Trott
4 Bairstow
5 Ballance
6 Stokes
7 Prior
8 Tremlett
9 Panesar
10 Rankin
11 Finn

Basically, I'm not too interested in the third Test. #takingitonetestatatime
Not that I agree with the orginal sentiment of the post by Cook comparing Cook, KP, Bell, Broad, Swann and Anderson to your current bowlers in terms of injury records is lolworthy. Australia have plenty of depth in bowlers but they're probably going to need it the way they go through injuries. Cook has missed one game since he started test cricket iirc; Bell I don't think has missed a game for injury; Anderson hardly missed a game for years; Swann and Broad hardly exemplary fitness records but someway better than most of the aussie bowlers.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Lack of Hussey definitely a plus. Would have been a much more interesting Test but for him last time, Johnson & Harris notwithstanding.