• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 5th ODI at The Rose Bowl

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That pic was Beefy at the '92 WC. In no way, shape (literally) or form (doubly so) was he 'at his best'. Not that I'm bagging him for being inaccurate, though; the best part of 400 Test wickets doesn't come without bowling seriously well most of the time.

Anyway, I wasn't making a serious comparison. Stokes definitely closer to Flintoff but he'll beat him over the course of a career. Why? For all Flintoff's good parts as a bowler, he only really bowled well when he threw it up there and he too rarely did. It's why he has ****-all bags of 5 at both FC and Test level. Of course your movement is going to look outrageous if you're pitching it a 2m shorter than others but it won't get guys out either.
The point I'm torturously trying to make is the later Botham wasn't very good. So if Stokes carries on like that he won't be very good.

In the end you clearly see a lot more in Stokes, than I do, at present. I guess time will tell. I see talent, but a long way to go.

I actually hope your right BTW, even if it makes Scaly (even more) insufferable, a better than Fintoff bowler would please me greatly.

Philhughesisbes

School Boy/Girl Captain
The point I'm torturously trying to make is the later Botham wasn't very good. So if Stokes carries on like that he won't be very good.

In the end you clearly see a lot more in Stokes, than I do, at present. I guess time will tell. I see talent, but a long way to go.

I actually hope your right BTW, even if it makes Scaly (even more) insufferable, a better than Fintoff bowler would please me greatly.
Stokes does seem like a fairly decent prospect.Obviously now England need †o take the punt and bat him at 6 in the odi team.I personally would not pick him as a 3rd seamer just yet.Its a shame Mitch Marsh hasn"t delivered yet or keeps on getting injured ,certainly has potential †o be the next big thing when we"re talking about all rounders.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
His post made more sense than most of yours.

Maybe someone should start a Ben Stokes thread, I must admit I didn't know it was a subject so many on CW felt so strongly about.

I'll put it out there, not the new Botham or Freddie, the new Liam Plunkett....

Hooksey

Banned
Nice way to finish he tour. Looking forward to the return series with renewed confidence as I'm sure the Aussie team are.