• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 5th ODI at The Rose Bowl

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think we all realise he has the basics, but he really needs to really sharpen up on his accuracy. The fact is he serves up plenty of half-trackers, and wide half-volleys, that really isn't going to work at International level, and a little worrying it obviously works at County level.

Lots of promise, but really shouldn't be near the England side ATM, but he must be a relative novice bowling-wise, as he's been injured a fair bit.

I think some of us bridled at him being called one of the best 4 seamers in the country, because that's patent nonsense, getting it consistently in a decent area, is a vital part of being a good bowler. Yet let's not throw the baby out with the washwater, he clearly has some promise.

Scaly reminds me of a mental Belieber really, he's so ridiculously rabid in favour, that you automatically dislike who he's talking up exponentially.

grecian

Are you saying Justin Bieber is better than you give him credit for? itstl.
I honestly know nothing about his music other than I hate it, because of his fan-base, so yeah I live under a rock, musically-speaking. Yet I'd say the analogy was pretty apt because of my enmity for someone I really shouldn't give a **** about.

91Jmay

International Coach
I agree Faulkner has to be in contention for Australia, he did nothing wrong in his test debut and consistently impresses in limited overs cricket. The thing not going in his favor is Watson being such an effective bowler, means he really never needs to be included at 7 when Watson is fit as you don't need 5 seamers. Always impressed me when I've watched him.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think we all realise he has the basics, but he really needs to really sharpen up on his accuracy. The fact is he serves up plenty of half-trackers, and wide half-volleys, that really isn't going to work at International level, and a little worrying it obviously works at County level.

wiff

First Class Debutant
Justin Bieber does have sporting creditability, AS SEEN ON TV with Floyd Mayweather. Unfortunately his music creditability took a dive as he was also with Lil Wayne.
1609jbiebs2.jpg

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
We could always just be dickheads and request a shortened series... oh wait, that would be justice

grecian

Manifestly untrue.
Hey, it was a long time ago, but it's how I remembered it, memory is faulty though, and you didn't even get live coverage of away stuff then. Botham averaged under 20 for his first few years, don't remember too much loose stuff there.

Have to say though, it's just not a great comparison, Botham was a phenom, and at his best at about the age Stokes is, Flintoff would surely be a better comparison, career-arc wise.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That pic was Beefy at the '92 WC. In no way, shape (literally) or form (doubly so) was he 'at his best'. Not that I'm bagging him for being inaccurate, though; the best part of 400 Test wickets doesn't come without bowling seriously well most of the time.

Anyway, I wasn't making a serious comparison. Stokes definitely closer to Flintoff but he'll beat him over the course of a career. Why? For all Flintoff's good parts as a bowler, he only really bowled well when he threw it up there and he too rarely did. It's why he has ****-all bags of 5 at both FC and Test level. Of course your movement is going to look outrageous if you're pitching it a 2m shorter than others but it won't get guys out either.

Last edited: