• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 5th ODI at The Rose Bowl

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jordan bowled well. Smashed at points is a massively overstatement for Jordan, he bowled a few wayward deliveries but overall wasn't bad at all. These weren't bowling conditions at all, not there innings anyway. Flat pitch, no swing/seam.

Stokes bowled largely pies and if he ever tries that ridiculous ramp shot again he should be shot.

ODI side is still the same when everyone is fit, although Tredwell could have bowled himself out of the team.
So after that England performance you attack the guy who took a 5-fer bowling mid to high 80s, top fielder, scored 27 off 25 batting 8 and tried to manufacture something with 18 an over needed against a guy bowling good yorkers.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Will remember it as the series Buttler really confirmed he's good enough. Kudos.

Had the live telecast recorded and was watching behind. Got a bit of hope when the Buttler and Bopara partnership started to really get going, but it was short lived. Australia deserved to go home from this tour with something, so I don't mind.

Last edited:

social

Jordan bowled well. Smashed at points is a massively overstatement for Jordan, he bowled a few wayward deliveries but overall wasn't bad at all. These weren't bowling conditions at all, not there innings anyway. Flat pitch, no swing/seam.

Stokes bowled largely pies and if he ever tries that ridiculous ramp shot again he should be shot.

ODI side is still the same when everyone is fit, although Tredwell could have bowled himself out of the team.
Trouble with most of the young English bowlers is that they don't move the ball at all

Compare them to someone like Faulkner, who most Australians consider to be gun-barrel straight yet has nibbled the ball around all series

social

Ahmed didn't do anything to impress me. Does Lyon not bowl in limited overs?
Obviously not the best conditions to judge but purely from perspective of action, I don't think Ahmed has anywhere near as much talent as Smith

Reckon the Oz selectors just did their usual and wet themselves when they saw someone bowling leggies

wiff

First Class Debutant
With all the players rested what did we learn? ODI stands for One Day Infiltrators

BUT did England unearth anyone worthwhile as a test candidate? Or did they just take their foot off the throat and allow Australia to gain a bit of valuable confidence?

Buttler obv, Rankin good, Jordan jury still out, Carberry no, Tredwell no, Stokes mmm, Bopara WHERE has this guy been hiding? Needs a ticket to Australia does this chap.

Australia has some patchy talent, but not with any of the test hopefuls.
Johnson will probably get test recall but not sure which one will turn up: Dr Johnson or Mr Mitch.
Hughes needs something, I'm thinking a blood transfusion. Bailey OK, but technique meh for tests but a fighter. Finch hit or miss.
Faulkner/Mackay no, Ahmed needs more shield.

wiff

First Class Debutant
Didn't see any of the last game, only read cricinfo (for what it's worth) so they sort of suggested he got lucky more than good bowling.

91Jmay

International Coach
Stokes didn't bowl as well as his figures suggest at all, although taking wickets when your not bowling that well is not a bad habit to have. He isn't ready yet to play international cricket, but he has a chance now as he has turned himself into a bowler with potential. Great fielder as well.

Eh, Rankin is a far better bowler than any of those 3 but it also helps the Aussies knowing they can just leave/defend him and score off the rest of the attack. It was still a 270 minimum wicket for me.

Yeah lateral movement is a concern for the young English bowlers. Although Topley swings it and by next summer he might be ready for some ODI action.

social

I can't see how Stokes won't be top-shelf, tbh.
Obviously has talent but it's a worry that he has been absolutely gun barrel straight in good bowling conditions and his batting is meh

I rank Faulkner well above him tbh

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a common criticism of young blokes but young all-rounders need some luck early on, it's a tough gig trying to bowl 90+ and bat high. Just need to look at him, clearly a gun in the making.

Top_Cat

Obviously has talent but it's a worry that he has been absolutely gun barrel straight in good bowling conditions and his batting is meh

I rank Faulkner well above him tbh
Don't think he'll ever be a big mover of the ball, but. Will be dangerous if he learns to reverse it, though.

social

Even though I didn't agree with his initial selection on the tour, I am now firmly of the belief that Faulkner should be selected in the next test squad as it makes no sense whatsoever to send him back to a level that he has dominated for a few years when he has already performed at the highest level

The guy simply looks the part, is performing and, let's face it, Oz aren't exactly endowed with riches when it comes to young talent

wiff

First Class Debutant
As a test match bowler he (forkers) doesn't look like getting wickets, although he could improve obv. As a batter, hasn't been given a fair look in yet.

Last edited:

social

As a test match bowler he (forkers) doesn't look like getting wickets, although he could improve obv. As a batter, hasn't been given a fair look in yet.
Except for the 6 he got in his only test

I agree that Faulkner doesn't look a world beater with the ball but for whatever reason he gets a shed load of wickets at every level

And he can bat and field as well

IMO, he is definitely one of the 13 best cricketers in OZ (and that's all being in the test squad entails) because it's not how, it's how many

Top_Cat

Playing half his home games on the most outrageously seam-friendly deck in the country could be said to be, at a minimum, helpful.