• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 3rd ODI at Edgbaston

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Probably for the best. The less the world sees Birmingham on its TV screens, the better.

#****hole

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It's a weird situation these days that home captains have basically taken home ground advantage out of the equation by routinely resting players - Australia does the exact same thing as England when we are at home.

Im glad I went to sleep straight after they went off the field last night oh and I get my bet refunded, had bet money on a higher England first opening partnership (forgot Carbs was opening).

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Perhaps more of a reflection of how meaningless bilateral ODI series' have become, although this is exceptional as it came not only after the CT but after the Ashes as well

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I don't think it is completely useless. The scheduling of 5 ODIs in a 10 day period is fine and its giving Cricketers an opportunity on the International arena. Just the rain and England resting a few of there better players has made it a little less interesting for Aussie viewers who are probably more interested in Finals Footy at the moment.

BTW, Why hasn't England decided to rest Trott? He is one player who I feel probably needed to get back to County Cricket. I notice Warwickshire play a County game the day after the final ODI, I think England management should make sure he is playing that match.

Hooksey

Banned
Perhaps more of a reflection of how meaningless bilateral ODI series' have become, although this is exceptional as it came not only after the CT but after the Ashes as well
The cricket powers-that-be have the short-form of the game all wrong IMO.

50 x 6 ball overs is too long and people find the middle overs just plain boring to watch. 20/20 is too short and often amounts to nothing more than hit and giggle.

The ideal duration for an entertaining short-form game is probably either 30 or 35 overs, and scrap the 50/50 and 20/20 stuff.

wiff

First Class Debutant
I don’t mind the 50 over game, I mean I can endure test cricket so a few overs where the players stroke the ball around is OK by me. However, ODIs tacked onto test cricket makes it a poor second cousin. The world cup works well, because the sole focus is ODIs. Maybe a premiership league of nations with second division for lesser nations could be set up. I know this has been penciled in for tests, but I think it works much better for ODIs. Played over two years every team plays the other team home x 3 and away x3. Team at top after two years wins league of nations trophy. Better than the ranking system which doesn’t really give you anything. World cup is still good as it is a knock out comp, like the FA cup in football.

Hooksey

Banned
I don’t mind the 50 over game, I mean I can endure test cricket so a few overs where the players stroke the ball around is OK by me. However, ODIs tacked onto test cricket makes it a poor second cousin. The world cup works well, because the sole focus is ODIs. Maybe a premiership league of nations with second division for lesser nations could be set up. I know this has been penciled in for tests, but I think it works much better for ODIs. Played over two years every team plays the other team home x 3 and away x3. Team at top after two years wins league of nations trophy. Better than the ranking system which doesn’t really give you anything. World cup is still good as it is a knock out comp, like the FA cup in football.
I don't see any good reason for two different versions of the short-form game. If the optimum length could be arrived at - and I think it's probably 35 overs a side - just play that only.

Spark

Global Moderator
This sounds mighty close to the Champions Trophy in concept, even if the format is different

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's a weird situation these days that home captains have basically taken home ground advantage out of the equation by routinely resting players - Australia does the exact same thing as England when we are at home.

Im glad I went to sleep straight after they went off the field last night oh and I get my bet refunded, had bet money on a higher England first opening partnership (forgot Carbs was opening).
Was completely sawn off by Pietersen, tbf.