• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Playing Conditions in Australia

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
What do people think of the theory that the playing conditions in Aus indicate that England will have a better time down under than they did here in old Blighty?

And there is some emprical evidence for this - the Bradman-esq performance of Cook in the last series for instance.

It has been mentioned (and seized on by me) that Cook, Trott, KP, and probably Root will all prefer batting down under than here. KP averages 56 in Austrlia after 2 tours and seems to treat Adelaide like the easy setting on a Playstation game.

This is compounded by the fact that England's bowlers (for my money) have more natural variation, meaning that although they will be forced to toil some long sessions, they are more likely to get the breakthroughs and tumble wickets on top of each other. For instance, Siddle is a respectable, dilligent test-bowler, but doesn't have extreme pace, and lacks the movement of both Broad and Anderson. Swann is the best offie in the world, but down under will be a bit-part player. So what does the futire then hold for Nathan Lyons? Not much that I can see.

When I look at these things, ist doesn't surprise me too much that Australia feel complled to turn to Mitch Johnson - and lo and behold, he has just but in an excellent ODI performance to remind people he can sometimes keep the ball on the crease. For 1 test match in 5, Mitch's genuine pace and slinger action will defeat the placid batting conditions and knock England over when all about him are just modestly toiling. The other 4 matches however are a bit of a problem.

All things being equal, and even putting aside my bias, I can't see Australia doing much better in their own backyard than they did here. I'm going to lump for another 3-1 England.

England will win in Adelaide and Sydney, and one other venue.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why does Australia's attack only consist of Siddle, Lyon(s) and Mitchell Johnson?

How come you haven't mentioned that Australian batsmen are rat **** in slow conditions but are better when there is more pace?

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Like Perth?

Yeah sure, they could win in Perth. Like they did last time. But that had more to do with our collapse.

But yeah, you're right. I neglected their (by far) best bowler - Harris. He is an issue for England. But for me, he looks like an English conditions bowler.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Lyon was bowling about as well if not better than Swann by the end of the Ashes, so I don't see a huge problem there for either team.

Why even talk about MJ when we have made no indication he will be selected? He would have been on 'A' tours and the like if he was close to test selection.

This idea of natural variation confuses me slightly, Australia have some excellent seam bowlers who are perfectly capable of moving the ball off the seam on Australian pitches, certainly no worse than the English could.

Really not sold on many of your points there tbh

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
You are completely entitled to your opinion and there is a decent chance of it happening as England just won at home but it feels as though your evidence is based solely on the last Series in Australia and you are not looking at the fact that most of the Australian batsman will prefer batting in Australia too. Another thing which I always find hard to take is the level in which Stuart Broad is rated. Broad only performs very well in about 1 in 4 games or so, he is like Johnson, but normally tighter when things aren't going that well for him. There records are very similar but Broad gets a helluva lot of love for his match winning spells.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There'll be more pace in every pitch, even Adelaide and Melbourne, than there was in the English pitches this winter.

I can assure you, Harris is not just an English conditions bowler.

Spark

Global Moderator
Like Perth?

Yeah sure, they could win in Perth. Like they did last time. But that had more to do with our collapse.

But yeah, you're right. I neglected their (by far) best bowler - Harris. He is an issue for England. But for me, he looks like an English conditions bowler.
Then you are completely wrong. An English conditions bowler? Seriously?

I don't think you've watched very much cricket in Australia, frankly.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
GuyFromLancs not much of a poster in Australian conditions it would seem :p

I think batsmen from both teams will find scoring easier, while seam bowlers will get a little more assistance. Swing bowlers and spinners will find it a bit tougher this time round

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
You are completely entitled to your opinion and there is a decent chance of it happening as England just won at home but it feels as though your evidence is based solely on the last Series in Australia and you are not looking at the fact that most of the Australian batsman will prefer batting in Australia too. Another thing which I always find hard to take is the level in which Stuart Broad is rated. Broad only performs very well in about 1 in 4 games or so, he is like Johnson, but normally tighter when things aren't going that well for him. There records are very similar but Broad gets a helluva lot of love for his match winning spells.
I admit that my predictions are substantially based on the last Ashes down there. But at the moment, I don't see too much different about the circumstances. Cook, Trott, and Root all display a % game patience that (Clarke-apart) I just don't see in Australia's batting line-up.

To me, this still doesn't look much better, or more solid, than the team that was bowled out for 98 in Melborne. The main (admitted) difference being that Clarke is on much better form now than he was then. But Australia are still weak IMO. Wickets still tumble, one after the other.

I admit that Australia found some real spirit in England this year. But still, the key moments won by England again! Just like in 09. Except, Australia were better in 09 and still lost.

Spark

Global Moderator
Er, there is a huge difference. Australia actually know how to bowl this time.

FTR this is a much better side than 10/11

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Harris is not everything to us, Bird, Siddle, and Patto would make an excellent attack if fit

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If Harris gets injured, what do you see happening?
Josh HAZLEWOOD will happen.

What is it about Root's game that makes you confident he will perform well in Australia? I understand your take on the patience side of things but being patient in England didn't exactly work. I'm more concerned about other batsman compared to him..

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Trott and Cook are very likely to perform better this series but that's because they failed as Test batsman across the series in England. So if they do better, is it because they are more suited to the conditions? Not necessarily IMO.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I disagree. I think both Cook and Trott looked incredibly at home in Australia. I mean, it could have been a one-off, sure. But observations on why they were successful out there seem consistent with how they actually were.

Look on Youtube, I've never seen Cook play cover drives with the authority he did on that tour.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Yes. Harris a luxury, not the mainstay. The basis of our attack over the last two years has been Siddle/Pattinson/Starc/other.
And ours has been Anderson, Broad, Bresnan, Tremlett (when needed) - all of which have knocked Australia over.

Even Finn took wickets. We had the luxury of dropping him for poor economy.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
And ours has been Anderson, Broad, Bresnan, Tremlett (when needed) - all of which have knocked Australia over.

Even Finn took wickets. We had the luxury of dropping him for poor economy.
Bresnan is injured. Tremlett is often injured, Broad averages very similar to Johnson and Finn as you are fully aware bowls a KFC Zinger each over.

Anderson is ace though so what happens if Anderson gets injured? Chris Woakes and Kerrigan??