• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Playing Conditions in Australia

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Bresnan is injured. Tremlett is often injured, Broad averages very similar to Johnson and Finn as you are fully aware bowls a KFC Zinger each over.

Anderson is ace though so what happens if Anderson gets injured? Chris Woakes and Kerrigan??
That's why I've mentioned on the prediction thread that Broad will have to seriously up his game down under. What I'm trying to say here is simply that I'd back England's attack over Australia's.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
That's why I've mentioned on the prediction thread that Broad will have to seriously up his game down under. What I'm trying to say here is simply that I'd back England's attack over Australia's.
I don't remember that comment. I just remember you saying that Prior will get out when he does (biggest call ever) and Bresnan will be Bresnan (second biggest call ever). I back Australia's bowling over England's in Australia its just I back England's batting over Australia's.

Spark

Global Moderator
Melbourne has gradually gotten quicker and bouncier as years have gone on (I mean, last year was definitely quick enough based on the number of broken hands). Should be reasonable by now.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The question will of course be on the Adelaide drop in. When Melbourne first went in it was a pile of horse ****, then eventually got better (only in moderately recent times I may add). It will be interesting to see how Adelaide plays first up.

Spark

Global Moderator
To be fair, it can't be too much different/worse to the old Adelaide deck, unless it's one of those drop ins which refuses to deteriorate or really change at all (which tbf might be most of them)

benchmark00

The fear is, of course, is that it will be two paced, if not just slow, from the get go, meaning scoring will be hard. Basically like we saw a few times in England.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I don't remember that comment. I just remember you saying that Prior will get out when he does (biggest call ever) and Bresnan will be Bresnan (second biggest call ever). I back Australia's bowling over England's in Australia its just I back England's batting over Australia's.
And I'm now asking what grounds to you have to believe your bowling attack has the edge on ours.

Because I can't see one

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I can sort of see why one might think that Harris is an English conditions bowler because he does swing the ball, but he can also be a good seam bowler when he wants to be too.
And if you're going to apply that logic, then you'd also expect Anderson to be poor, and Broad, Finn and Bird to be much better. The reality is that there's a bit more to bowling than that. Harris, Broad, Pattinson are all bowlers who can operate as both swing and seam bowlers depending on conditions.

I think that it's going to be less about bowling conditions and more about batting conditions. We are yet to see how Root goes on fast bouncey wickets - I expect him to do well because I rate him, but still he's untested. The likes of Watson, Clarke, Haddin et al are more likely to enjoy those conditions than the slower wickets of England.

Burgey

I disagree. I think both Cook and Trott looked incredibly at home in Australia. I mean, it could have been a one-off, sure. But observations on why they were successful out there seem consistent with how they actually were.

Look on Youtube, I've never seen Cook play cover drives with the authority he did on that tour.
My grandmother who turns 92 tomorrow would have looked at home on the last England tour with th ecrap Australia dished up to the Poms. Seriously, they batted well but there was virtually zero pressure placed on them in any consistent fashion.