• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mitchell Starc out of ashes

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Where does it say he's out of the Ashes?

He's been diagnosed with having the infant stages of a stress fracture in the back with the recovery time TBC.

flibbertyjibber

Headline on BBC says he was out of series, there was no story to go to so thought it had just broken. Either way it sucks for the lad.

benchmark00

I see, I see.

Can't imagine they'll rush him back either way so there's no doubt he'll at the very least miss a portion of the series.

Spikey

The depth and quality of fast bowlers was to be Australia's strength for the series but now Clarke and coach Darren Lehmann must fall back on seasoned quicks like Mitchell Johnson and Clint McKay, whose best form has been in one-day cricket.

Ruckus

International Captain
Well Pattinson and Bird should be fit, so that'd be pretty ridiculous if they do that

Spikey

So Harris, Siddle & Johnson for The Gabba then, yeah?
Johnson still hasn't showed he's suited to the style of bowling we're trying so i dont see how he can be considered a favourite. (that style btw is don't bowl short **** that cook can smack. Starc was erratic with line, but not necessarily length. But MJ....)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well Pattinson and Bird should be fit, so that'd be pretty ridiculous if they do that
Thought the word on Patto was the WACA at the earliest?

Obvz if he's properly fit, he plays.

Not convinced the Gabba would be Bird's kinda deck tho, tbh.

Ruckus

International Captain
Thought the word on Patto was the WACA at the earliest?

Obvz if he's properly fit, he plays.

Not convinced the Gabba would be Bird's kinda deck tho, tbh.
He is on track for the Gabba, but it will probably end up being one of those 'are the selectors/physios going to let him play, or want be cautious instead' kind of things. If the Gabba wicket looks like it's gonna have a bit in it for the seamers I'd def be playing Bird over an 'as yet to be ascertained' option.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Johnno's done well when he's come back from being dropped in the past hasn't he? I reckon they should play him at the Gabba, drop him for Adelaide and then recall him again for the WACA to watch him rip up in the two games he plays. Then drop him from sight forever more. Although that of course is ridiculous and will not happen.

Ruckus

International Captain
I don't think Johnson should play test cricket for Australia ever again, not even at the WACA. Erratic isn't what we need right now. Even if he excels at the WACA, that inevitably just sets up further problems down the line when he continues to be selected based on that performance. I just don't see how having Johnson in the squad would be beneficial to the progression of this team in any way. We've moved on from him, thankfully, I'm hoping it stays that way.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
God I hope Johnson doesn't play for Australia again. I've said it before, but Mitch Johnson is the ****ty boyfriend of Australian Cricket. We got together and at the start things were great, but then a few cracks appear. But it's just an accident, he's under a lot of stress - he's not like that most of the time, we swear. But soon the flowers and the chocolates are few and far between. It's pretty obvious to everyone that he's bad news, but we still can't see it. Remember those first few dates? They were great.

After a while though, to everyone's relief, we finally come to realise that we're better off without him. Finally, after years of anguish and false hopes, we get rid of him for good. Things are looking up; we've got a new lease on life. But his replacements start to falter a bit after a while. Suddenly we're lonely again, and we get to thinking; you know what... Maybe Mitch wasn't that bad after all. It was really nice when he surprised us with those flowers and chocolates. I mean, it was Valentine's Day so he pretty much had to, but still. And everytime we stalk him on Facebook he seems to be doing pretty well.

So go ahead and bring him back. The first few dates will probably be all fancy restaurants and flowers. But everyone else knows it's only a matter of time before he slips up and we're back to square one, wishing we'd just blocked him from Facebook the first time around.