• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mitchell Starc out of ashes

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Nah, everyones just given up on him.

I still don't know exactly why. He got recalled for doing **** all a couple years ago and then did brilliantly for a couple seasons, then got injured three games later and hasn't been in the look in since.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Imagine how good the over rate will be when Scott Coyte comes off his indoor run.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I've seen no evidence that Bird's a better bowler than Johnson.
You watched him in one game. He's a good bowler. That being said, I don't hate Johnson either.

So that's three stress fractures to the back that seamers got this series, Bird getting a sore one, plus Cummins doing his in SA, right?

It really is horrific.

If Patto isn't fit for the Gabba, my three would be; Harris, Bird & Siddle. Not really sure who the back up would be, might be early season Shield form dependent.
Ideally, Bird and Siddle wouldn't be in the same lineup, but I don't know if they'll have much choice about that.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Leave MJ in the one dayers where the format helps him and he doesn't need to be mentally tough.

wiff

First Class Debutant
The next 3 ODIs will give the selectors a good look at Johnson. If he picks up key wickets the writing is on the wall.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
So if we subscribe to the Benchmark school of thought, Australia needs another swing bowler to replace Starc. The next best option on that front is probably Sayers, who has demonstrated the ability to bowl effective swing during his FC career and he has A tour experience.

Tangles

I'd be ok with that but I suspect decent ODI bowling will, unfortunately, give MJ the inside running.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
I had a cabbie the other night who was Gurinder Sandhu's cousin. Picketing for his selection just to be three degrees of separation away from a Test cricketer.

Tangles

The reality of our quicks is that it's become Siddle plus the 2 next not injured. With that being a test by test proposition. If Harris and Bird are ok then Harris, Siddle and Bird for Brisbane. Patto in for Bird if he is match fit. There's no reason to rush him in if he's underdone.

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

So if we subscribe to the Benchmark school of thought, Australia needs another swing bowler to replace Starc. The next best option on that front is probably Sayers, who has demonstrated the ability to bowl effective swing during his FC career and he has A tour experience.
Absolutely, I used to be more a fan of Cutting but since Sayers start a couple yaers ago I think he's on a short list for most. I hope anyway.

I had a cabbie the other night who was Gurinder Sandhu's cousin. Picketing for his selection just to be three degrees of separation away from a Test cricketer.
oh to be fly on the wall as to how you started chatting about his cousins likelihood of stardom.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hilfenhaus.

Ruckus

International Captain
I would definitely play Hilf in front of Johnson if it came to it. As was said on the previous page, the worse thing about Johnson is he is a massive softcock. We already have enough of those in our batting ranks, we don't need them in our bowling as well. In fact, our bowling is generally full of macho men like Harris, Siddle, Pattinson etc. He would be bullied by his own team mates if he came back.